Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Camelback or Similar

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 06-05-07, 10:12 AM
David in PA

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I am finally going to spring for a Camelback or something similar, but have no idea which one would be the best for me. I've seen countless varieties. I want to carry no more than, say, 64 oz. of water, and the unit should have one pocket to carry some small stuff. Of course it should be lightweight, easy to clean, and fit well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also please feel free to mention any features that I should look for.

Thanks,
David in FL

Last edited by David in PA; 06-05-07 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-05-07, 10:28 AM
Shemp

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've aleady browsed Camelbak's website I presume? It's pretty descriptive. The smallest carry 70oz of water.

And you're sure you want to carry the wight on your back rather than on your bike?
Old 06-05-07, 10:41 AM
David in PA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shemp
You've aleady browsed Camelbak's website I presume? It's pretty descriptive. The smallest carry 70oz of water.

And you're sure you want to carry the wight on your back rather than on your bike?
Thanks for responding. Yes, I want to try the water on my back for a while, as I tend to drink less when the water is on the bike. Plus I'll soon be purchasing a new road bike on which racks cannot be attached, so for longer trips I still want to be able to carry extra water along.

Thanks,
David in FL
Old 06-05-07, 10:45 AM
Shemp

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But you did already peruse Camelbak's site? It's fairly detailed.
Old 06-05-07, 10:49 AM
Dr_Robert
AKA Nathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of the '07 models, I like the Lobo best for my cycling needs:

https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...k+Lobo+07.aspx

I almost picked one up last week at the LBS, actually, to replace an older (different model) Camelback. It's a nice looking bag, with room for the essentials (perfect size for a day trip if you pack relatively light).

If you want something even smaller than that, the Rogue should fit the bill nicely:

https://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/28350/

I'd go with the 100 oz reservoir, unless you plan to carry additional water elsewhere (you probably do, but I figured I'd mention it anyway). I went through 200 oz on a 6-7 hour ride the other day, in moderate temperatures.

-DR
Old 06-05-07, 11:20 AM
David in PA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr_Robert

I'd go with the 100 oz reservoir, unless you plan to carry additional water elsewhere (you probably do, but I figured I'd mention it anyway). I went through 200 oz on a 6-7 hour ride the other day, in moderate temperatures.

-DR
Thanks Dr. Robert for your recommendations. I checked them out, and they look good.

Could you please describe what it "feels like" to cary 100 oz of water on your back for several hours? Very curious. . .back pain? Easy? Hard? Etc.?

Thanks,
David in FL
Old 06-05-07, 11:21 AM
AGGRO
Mistadobalina

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept Flo wheelset

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one and quit carrying it due to the pinched nerve type feeling it gave me. Good luck.
Old 06-05-07, 12:52 PM
jnoble123

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Trek 520, Giant VT1, Norco Scrambler, Norco Unicycle, Dirtsurfer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do you have to carry it directly on your back?

For offroad riding with my mountain bike I use a bag that rests on my upper back.

For touring I prefer waist packs. They rest further down, often have a pocket to carry essential identification etc and they also carry water. Usually the water carried is around the equivalent of two water bottles. I used to use a Hydrapack version but now use a Camelback one. I need to look up the product name.

~Jamie N
Old 06-05-07, 01:09 PM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to suggest the Lobo as well, but then I looked on the website and its 100 ounces now. I bought mine a good 6 years ago when it was only 70. I love my old design one, has a special pocket for a pump, which I use mostly because its easier then transfering the pump holder between bikes. I really like the 70 ounce resevoir. Camelbacks tend to hurt my back so I like the lighter ones and I just carry an extra bottle on my bike to make up for the extra couple ounces.
Old 06-05-07, 02:24 PM
CyKKlist

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Camelbak I use for longer charity rides and centuries now. It's huge (3 liters!) but it feels like a seat belt when I'm wearing it -- feels like I'm strapped in, secure. If you like that feeling then you'll be ok. I also used it as a commuting bag before I bought panniers last year.

Here's a lesson many other Camelbak users might agree with. Don't put anything other than water in there, unless you enjoy cleaning the inside bag. I used to put a Gatorade mix in there, but I spent lots of time getting after it with brushes and cleaners at the kitchen sink. On the road, this must be a major inconvenience.

Ken
Old 06-05-07, 03:15 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I have a Camelbak Rogue. I originally bought it for cycling, but no longer use it that way. 2 liters of water isn't too heavy, and it gets lighter as you drink more (obviously). But I can't stand the sweaty back thing.

Also, no hydration system is "easy to clean," especially when you're on tour (and doubly if you're camping). Stuff tends to grow inside the CB, especially the hydration tube. You either need to keep it in the fridge, and/or clean it out with a brush and a touch of bleach. For this reason, it's not a great plan to put energy drinks into a hydration system.

If your tours are 1 week long or so, not a problem. If you're touring for a month or so, I think you'd have to bring cleaning supplies along.

I would consider the Siren, which is 1.5 liters and has air channels to attempt to cool things off. That's the equivalent of 2 water bottles and should be sufficient.

Or: take a look at the Camelbak water bottles. The 750ml bottle won't fit into a cage, but you can put the lid on a regular bottle. Much easier to clean than a full Camelbak, and easier to drink.
Old 06-05-07, 07:22 PM
Dr_Robert
AKA Nathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David in PA
Could you please describe what it "feels like" to cary 100 oz of water on your back for several hours? Very curious. . .back pain? Easy? Hard? Etc.?
I don't find it too difficult once I get the straps adjusted to my liking. The whole thing weighs around 10 pounds fully loaded, and the weight feels fairly well distributed. However, I'm 6'3", 220 lbs, and I'm used to carrying a pack, so I barely noice the weight. YMMV.

They can be a bit uncomfortable for a previously mentioned reason though: the "sweaty back thing." I find it more of an annoyance than anything, though it might be a deal breaker for some.

And yeah, don't put anything other than water in there. Cleaning some sticky mess out of a Camelback is more trouble than it's worth.

-DR
Old 06-05-07, 09:30 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by David in PA
Hello,

I am finally going to spring for a Camelback or something similar, but have no idea which one would be the best for me. I've seen countless varieties. I want to carry no more than, say, 64 oz. of water, and the unit should have one pocket to carry some small stuff. Of course it should be lightweight, easy to clean, and fit well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also please feel free to mention any features that I should look for.

Thanks,
David in FL
If you want simple, I'd go with the Rogue or the Velocity. The Velocity is like the Lobo but takes a 70 oz bladder. The Rogue doesn't have room for much more then a driver's license and a credit card. It really can't carry much stuff.

I carry a Blow Fish. But I also carry a bunch of tools in it. Loaded with water (100 oz), the whole thing weighs in around a hefty 10 to 13 lbs. I like the Blow Fish because it expands and holds more stuff if needed...like a rain jacket and pants. I also carry my wallet, keys, glasses and snacks in the pack. It is heavy but I don't really notice it because the load is very similar to what I would use for off-road riding.

Others have said that the bladder can grow nastys in it but I've never found that to be the case. Sometimes the tube or bit valve can grow stuff but as long as you just use it for water, the bladder doesn't seem to be a problem for me. As for cleaning, soap and water work best. The new bladders have a huge mouth so you can get your whole hand in there and scrub if you want. Just make sure you rinse it well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!