Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lemond Tourlamet - Relaxed Geometry?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 10:41 AM
David in PA

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

In another thread, I stated that I was about to buy a Trek 2.1 Pilot, but they're hard to get right now until the 2008s come out in September. One of many reasons I chose the 2.1 was because it's claimed to have a more "relaxed geometry."

One LBS I queried suggested that I try the Lemond Tourmalet. He claimed it has "relaxed geometry, " but I didn't see that mentioned on Lemond's website at all.

Three questions please:

1. Does the Lemond Tourmalet truly have this relaxed geometry?

2. If you've had direct experience with the bike, how do you like it?

3. Am I possibly making too big a deal out of "relaxed geometry?" I do want to be able to ride many hours at a clip without experiencing extreme discomfort. Speed is very important, but not the final deciding factor for me.

Thanks !
David in FL

Last edited by David in PA; 06-22-07 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-22-07, 11:13 AM
JOEPIPPAS

Bikes: 1991 C'DALE- 3.1 , 2007 LEMOND - TOURMALET

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a 2007 Tourmalet. and it is as plush as your grandpas cadillac.... If you want a bike for the long miles this is it. Dont think it's a touring bike either. this thing can corner on rails. It sprints well and is plenty stiff and light for climbing. Now if only I could be lighter for climbing (200 lb ). Normally on my old c'dale I had to slam my saddle back to get behind the peddals but I have found as I dial in the bike my saddle has moved more forward. and I am now at the point where I have the bike dialed in and it is more of an extension of my body and not something that I just sit on.

Here I am on a 8% grade.

and of course what goes up must come down.. I was hitting speeds of around 45 mph. and never a twitch or a speed wobble from this baby... so nice to bomb down at 40+mph and not have to worry about wobble or shimmy. I hope this helps. if you need any more info pm me. I would test ride the lemond before
Old 06-22-07, 11:22 AM
NotAsFat
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been pretty happy with my Tourmalet. I don't know much about geometry, but the bike handles well, climbs better than I do , and is pretty comfortable, too.
Old 06-22-07, 11:36 AM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would say that the Tourmalet is pretty relaxed. It is going to have a steeper head tube, but it is a lot longer. The best way to determine how comfortable a bike is, is obviously by riding it. All this stuff about plush and relaxed doesn't amount to anything if the bike doesn't fit. Much of the relaxed geometry talk is marketing.
Old 06-22-07, 12:12 PM
xerocoma

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet, Giant mountain bike and a Cannondale Adventure 400 hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2005 Tourmalet and compared to a Cdale R900 I also ride I'd have to go with the Tourmalet for the long haul... there is a couple of degree difference in your position which makes you ride a bit more upright and therefore more comfortably.... since the Tourmalet is better than the engine I put on it I don't worry about performance too much... but I can hang for a few miles in a 25mph pace line and still finish a 50 mile ride with a 18mph avg... obviously not a great cyclist speed-wise but good enough for what I do...
Old 06-22-07, 12:24 PM
Robobo1
Transplant

Bikes: A good one!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode across the country, from Baltimore to San Francisco, on a 2004 (03??) Lemond Tourmalet. Many days of 80 mile rides, sometimes centuries plus.

It was definitely a comfortable bike! I highly recommend it, good for long rides.
Old 06-22-07, 12:26 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Lemond Buenos Aires, a Tourmalet on steroids, a poser's delight. I loves it. From what I can tell, the Pilot and the Tourmalet have pretty much the same geometry.
Old 06-22-07, 02:49 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by David in PA
Hello,

In another thread, I stated that I was about to buy a Trek 2.1 Pilot, but they're hard to get right now until the 2008s come out in September. One of many reasons I chose the 2.1 was because it's claimed to have a more "relaxed geometry."

One LBS I queried suggested that I try the Lemond Tourmalet. He claimed it has "relaxed geometry, " but I didn't see that mentioned on Lemond's website at all.

Three questions please:

1. Does the Lemond Tourmalet truly have this relaxed geometry?

2. If you've had direct experience with the bike, how do you like it?

3. Am I possibly making too big a deal out of "relaxed geometry?" I do want to be able to ride many hours at a clip without experiencing extreme discomfort. Speed is very important, but not the final deciding factor for me.

Thanks !
David in FL
Lemonds are all designed with a setback to make for stable and responsive riding on the drops. This is a consequence of what Greg Lemond felt an ideal road bike ought to ride like. So the geometry is very different from a lot of other road bikes. If you're looking for a comfort geometry, I don't think the brand fits the bill but if you're looking for a very stable and fast road bike, then I do think that is definitely what you're looking for in buying that first road bike.
Old 06-22-07, 03:17 PM
Miguelangel

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got one about two weeks ago...very comfy ride... I'm very very happy specially after I went to get sized... BTW It luvs the hills!!! To be comfortable is a big deal specially in a long ride!!!!
Old 06-22-07, 07:21 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
I have had mine (a 2004) sine February of 2005 and I absolutely love it. It is a very comfortable ride and it is fast enough for what I do as I am no racer or even close to one.

Cheers,

Brian

― Bruce Lee