Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Scared to solo...What if I flat?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 09:02 PM
Raerfani
Obsessed

Bikes: 08 Giant OCR 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Firstly, I don't, well from the two times that I have road, carry an extra tube or two in case of a flat. Secondly, I don't even know how to change a flat! I am scared to solo. Would it be wise for me to mess around with my tires and tubes and get used to changing them before my next ride? I really like to go out far but am too afraid of being stranded .
Old 06-24-07, 09:04 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Learn to change tires, carry a cell phone in case you need someone to pick you up, and/or ride in a loop that doesn't take you too far from civilization, so you can walk back if you have to.
Old 06-24-07, 09:07 PM
shoerhino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would definately learn how to fix flats. A flat is a common problem that you'll encounter on the road and it's wise to carry some sort of inflation device, and extra tube and some patches. As far a pumps go, a great pump is the topeak road morph. Very easy to use and there is very little chance in destroy the valve while inflating.

https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=100
Old 06-24-07, 09:09 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
There are lots of sites that explain in detail how to fix flats
(check https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=100)

The best way to learn is to go to your local LBS and ask them to show you how. Most will do it.

You say that you carry extra tubes...Do you carry a pump? Tubes are useless unless you can get air into them.

Good luck.
Old 06-24-07, 09:10 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
you need to learn how to fix a flat if you're going to ride in any serious fashion. it's not hard to do and it's kinda irresponsible to rely on a cell phone. "honey can you drive 20 miles to pick me up, i don't have the ability to fix my flat tire even though it only takes minutes and a 6 year old could do it, so take an hour and waste some gas and bail me out"....

see what i'm sayin?
Old 06-24-07, 09:12 PM
dekindy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You answered your own question. Practice at home using your frame pump and/or CO2. Make sure you know how to get the back wheel off and back on and aligned. Front wheel is a breeze if you can do the back.

There are lots of guidelines and you can probably find a video on-line. My last flat was on the back. I had to rest the bike on the seat and handlebars to get the back wheel in. Sometimes you have to set it upright and loosed the quick release and use the weight of the bike to hold the wheel in place while you secure the quick release.

Carry a cell phone. I have two extra tubes, tire tools, tire boots, glueless patches, frame pump, and CO2. Maybe overkill but I twisted the stem off the replacement tube airing it up with the frame pump and did not have patches to fix the flatted tube. Luckily I was only a few miles from my car and two nice looking young ladies offered me a ride, which of course I could not refuse! I was talking to my wife on the cell phone when they drove up.

Flats are not the only mechanical that can strand you. Derailleur and chains break, spokes break, etc. My wife's rear axle broke once. You should have plenty of numbers stored in memory so you can get someone to pick you up if necessary.
Old 06-24-07, 09:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
If you don't solo, who do you ride with? If the person you ride with is not your SO or someone extremely close to you, you should bring your own supplies and know how to change your own tires anyway ......... otherwise don't be surprised if the person you are riding with becomes very annoyed if you find yourself in the position where you have to beg supplies and assistance.

So yes ... get tire changing supplies and a bag to carry them ... then sit in your living room and practice till you know what you are doing.
Old 06-24-07, 09:24 PM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been fixing flats since I was a kid, it's a breeze, especially if you have a spare tube and a co2 inflator.

Check on youtube, there are some good tutorial vids on bike maintenance, including one of fixing a flat.
Old 06-24-07, 09:30 PM
Eddie Loves You

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you flat, just tune up you instrument. Then play your heart out. I'm sure you'll have a good solo.
Old 06-24-07, 10:00 PM
djgonzo007
Sprint the hills!

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro w/Campy, Dahon MU P8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like everyone else has said you should definatley practice changing flats at home so you'll feel comfortable when you flat on the road. I'm sure your LBS would give you some pointers if you asked.
Old 06-24-07, 11:19 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
A few people have suggested using CO2. The only problem is that until you are experienced, it's too easy to misuse CO2 and once you're out, you're out. (Consider, it's quite possible to have multiple flats on one ride.) CO2 is great for racers and those who need fast changes. For the majority of us, an extra two minutes pumping is no problem. Also, a pump taps the infinite supply of air so you can't run out.
Old 06-24-07, 11:53 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
being able to change a tube is a mandatory skill

get it down before you take your next ride
Old 06-24-07, 11:58 PM
PhatRoadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAa0iN4wrhU
Old 06-25-07, 12:04 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
You shouldn't ride a bike if you don't know how to fix a flat ... or at least carry a cell phone.
Old 06-25-07, 12:06 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Get a saddle bag and populate it with a multitool, a steel core tire lever, a spare tube, a patch kit, a CO2 inflator with cart, a couple of $20 bills, and a photocopy of your medical insurance card. Attach a pump to your frame somewhere. The spare tube and CO2 inflator is typically all you'll ever need, but the more tedious patch kit and pump is useful if you get multiple flats.
Old 06-25-07, 12:07 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Here is a great website for how to fix a flat..

https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=100
Old 06-25-07, 12:55 AM
specq
King of the Ramsey Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The vultures will eat you.
Old 06-25-07, 02:12 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Practice by taking your wheels off an taking the tires and tubes off and putting everything back on.
Old 06-25-07, 04:10 AM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Such a simple fix. If you DO flat remember to check the tire for whatever punctured your tube. Otherwise you'll flat again.
Old 06-25-07, 05:11 AM
Zinn-X
proud of his bunny

Bikes: 2006 Masi Gran Corsa Premio custom build: Full 105, Easton EC70 fork, Easton Circuit Wheelset // 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper (stock for now)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for learning to fix a flat. if you're a serious cyclist, you need to be able to do this end of story.

almost all my rides are solo. all of my friends either can't keep up with me or drop me like a rock. there's no in between so there's no group fun.

Last edited by Zinn-X; 06-25-07 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-25-07, 06:11 AM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Practice changing tires & tubes at home, soon you'll be self sufficient
Old 06-25-07, 07:08 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Yoou gotta learn. Really.
Here's what works for me, and why:
1. Pedro levers. They're light, have a fine "hook" and work well. Don't break
2. Topeak Road Morph pump. Works like a floor pump so you don't need to hold the darn thing akwardly and it can generate real pressure, not just "get you home" pressure.
3. Don't go CO2. Your pump will never run out, and if you make an error, you just pump more.
4. Carry a tube, and also Rema patch kit for that 2nd flat. TRead the directions. Most new users put the patch on too soon after the glue.
5. A little pack of hand wipes can make you feel less grungy when you're finished.
Old 06-25-07, 07:18 AM
David in PA

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

All of the above. I 'd also recommend getting the Topeak Alien (or similar) set of repair tools. Several tools are hinged together, and foldable to a tiny space.

David in FL
Old 06-25-07, 07:37 AM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Raerfani
Firstly, I don't, well from the two times that I have road, carry an extra tube or two in case of a flat. Secondly, I don't even know how to change a flat! I am scared to solo. Would it be wise for me to mess around with my tires and tubes and get used to changing them before my next ride? I really like to go out far but am too afraid of being stranded .
two times?

so you currently expect others to stop to and change your flats for you?

Old 06-25-07, 07:46 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Its good that you want to be self sufficient on rides. I use the Topeak Road Morph because it works similar to the floor pump in my garage. I assume you're new to riding and you have a floor pump at home.

That floor pump is efficient because on the down stroke you're using body weight to pump the cylinder. The Topeak Morph uses the same principle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.