Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

I thought you folks were nuts...

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-07, 06:14 PM
ACD

Bikes: Jetter 12 speed, Specialized Cross Roads, Schwinn Tandem, 60' Columbia Special Middle weight, Astra Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll admit it. I didn't get recumbents. All gangly and weird looking. How could that possibly be cool.

Let's backtrack, I'm 37 overweight and only back into bikes over the past year. I have had a multitude of bikes and currently run classic ballon tired bikes, and a Puch Classic Steel Frame road bike. I thought my road bike was great. So easy to pedal compared to my classics and fast.

My wife and I volunteer at a local museum and they had a big auction today. Well long story short they had this bike. I looked it up online decided it was decent and prepared to bid. I was high bidder. So I drag my new prize outside and make sure no one was looking. I settle onto the ungainly thing... wobble and weave plant the foot. Try again.... wobble weave... rolling. Faster... Ok 50 ft, 75... Maybe I'm not gonna die... relax... lean back... settle in. Faster... try controling with one hand... hey this is GREAT!!!! Got really comfortable and just cruised. Round and round the parking lot. Then out the access road... man this thing is fast! Get to the end of the road and a few miles down the main drag... almost forgot I brought my truck.

I am a convert. You guys and gals were right after all this time and I... Well I was the idiot. I'm sorry for ever having doubted you.

Here she is.

Your newest convert,

Aaron
Old 10-28-07, 07:05 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What brand is that? It looks like the same brand that a guy in my club rides with us. His starts with a "D".
Old 10-28-07, 08:31 PM
teamcompi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You now have the bent grin, and know why! Welcome to the club.

I live in the land of ice and snow and sadly have to park the bent once the snow gets serious. We had about 6 inches on the ground last week, I had a heck of a time getting home. For most of the week I had to ride the mountain bike, it sort of scared me at first, it took a while to get my upright balance back.

Something else I cant do on a bent is ride no hands, I wonder if any one can, one finger is easy, zero fingers is impossible for me.
Old 10-28-07, 08:32 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a Ryan Vanguard, isn't it? Like riding a magic carpet, huh......
Old 10-28-07, 08:39 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
That's a long bike. Not to be confused with my Tailwind.
Old 10-28-07, 09:30 PM
ACD

Bikes: Jetter 12 speed, Specialized Cross Roads, Schwinn Tandem, 60' Columbia Special Middle weight, Astra Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes she is a Ryan Vanguard I don't know what year. Excellent condition. It has a Shimano 105 Crank, Shimano Deore XT deraileurs, and other goodies. The ride is amazing. At slow speeds it is very squirrely but at cruise it's as though it's on rails. Ryan is now out of business I see but was apparently well thought of as a builder and instrumental in the rebirth of the modern recumbent. It still seems awkward to me as an errand bike as stopping at lights and such gets me a bit nerved up. Making distance however there is nothing like it.
Old 10-28-07, 09:33 PM
ACD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbomatic I paid $300 for it.
Old 10-29-07, 06:01 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Wow! You stole that bike, I'm envious! Have a great time riding, they're almost indestructible. The only weak part I've found is the little hook on the front of the seat, which will bend straight if you tend to push back into the seat too hard when climbing instead of shifting to a lower gear and spinning up, so be careful with that.
Old 10-29-07, 09:34 AM
SoonerBent
<><

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ACD
I'll admit it. I didn't get recumbents. All gangly and weird looking. How could that possibly be cool.
That's exactly where I was a couple of years ago. I thought bents were silly bikes ridden by silly people. Then on a whim I decided to test ride one. I now tell my upright friends that mention trying one to wait until they have the money to buy one. If you try one you'll love it.
Old 10-29-07, 10:41 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'll echo Wilbur Bud's sentiment. What a great deal for a Ryan, especially one that's in such great shape!
Old 10-29-07, 10:42 AM
TErider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would start making extra room in your garage now! For some mysterious reason these bikes multiply and grow in short time. Before you know it you will have 2, then 3 different types of bents. As far as I know scientists are not seeking a cause for this mystery, or even a cure. Be afraid, be very afraid!!

Enjoy

Mark
Old 10-29-07, 10:55 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ACD
Here she is.

Your newest convert,

Aaron
Way to go. You scored. Welcome to the club.
Old 10-29-07, 02:00 PM
ACD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes and the congrats. Just curious, what is this bike worth? And why can't I find any for sale to check that? There is one on Ebay for BIN $649 repainted no tensioner but has the big windshield.

Aaron
Old 10-29-07, 02:08 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Remember, just because we were right, doesn't mean we're not nuts.
Old 10-29-07, 06:20 PM
Dogbait
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are nuts! You got a problem with that?
Old 10-29-07, 07:20 PM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*shrug* I didn't get it either, now I'm breaking records.
Old 10-30-07, 04:39 AM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbenting is the second best fun you can have lying down.

Nice photos. Living in drought-stricken Queensland, that's the lushest grass I've seen in a long while.
Old 10-30-07, 09:44 AM
David in PA

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding a bent is like having sex: It's the most fun you'll ever have without laughing. (Woody Allen)
Old 10-30-07, 10:37 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Pricing wise . . . my own on-going amateur assessment says $800-$1000 is the going rate for good condition Vanguards. I don't have a boatload of facts to throw at you, but listings pop up from time to time and are usually sub-$1000 unless pristine (then $1200 seems to be the max). Infrequently, I'll see one at $300 but it will be an extremely early model. Beyond that, I've seen two really pristine versions of the Vanguard's near relative, the Longbikes Slipstream go for $1500 in 2007, so I doubt we'll find anyone paying $1500 for a Vanguard.

There is a Ryan club you can join.

A couple recent sales on E-bay: $1200 and $850
Old 10-30-07, 01:22 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by David in PA
Riding a bent is like having sex: It's the most fun you'll ever have without laughing. (Woody Allen)
What I heard a long time ago was that bicycling is the most fun you can have without worrying about STD's.
Old 10-30-07, 06:08 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
We are nuts. We're nuts about goofy bikes. Bikes that, by coincidence only, are really comfortable. That is about as nuts as it gets. bk
Old 10-30-07, 10:21 PM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about being nuts, by my uncrushed nuts are loving it.
Old 10-30-07, 10:26 PM
ACD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question for you all, are the over seat steerers any more stable at slow speeds than the Ryan is? Mid Coast Maine is very hilly.. touted as "where the mountains meet the sea". When climbing hills especially on sections of road with no breakdown/bike lane (there are a lot of those!) the bike obviously slows as I gear down. It gets real nerve wracking keeping it on the edge of the road .. Call me what you want but it's kinda scary and exposed feeling. Average traffic speeds around here are over 50 mph with lots of blind corners. Also starting off on this beast from a stoplight is kind of an adventure. I'll admit to having a huge learning curve here but would the over seat style recumbent suit me better? I plan a couple century rides next spring but most of my riding is under 10 miles and into town. The Ryan seems a bit out of it's element in that situation.
Old 10-31-07, 05:35 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Stability is a function of the steering geometry, not whether it's OSS or USS. I think at least part of what you're experiencing is part of the normal learning curve. Now, the other part, bents are just plain harder to balance at very low speeds (2-wheelers, at least,) and long wheelbases more so. Most people have problems with them starting at maybe 4 mph, give or take a bit. I've climbed 20+% hills as slowly as 2.4 mph and not fallen over, but it takes a lot of attention to technique to stay steady at that (non-)speed.
Old 10-31-07, 11:01 AM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have OSS, but it still took me a month to get really used to my bike. I can keep pretty stable now at down to 4 mph, but below that I definitely have problems. Part of it is practice -- I just don't go that slow, except when I'm coming to a stop.

As for starting, part of it's gearing down properly, and part of it's muscle memory and strength. When I first started, even when I geared down, I had a hard time, just because a) I didn't have enough power for a good push off, and b) I couldn't clip in fast enough. And starting off going up on a hill was terrifying. But that's all in the past.

Give it some time and practice -- you'll get there!

I routinely go on roads where the cars go 60 mph, but where I ride, people are used to bikes. That makes a big difference.