Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How many people commute by bike to actually save time?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Are you faster in the city by bike?
I live in the city and I get around faster by bike.
40.63%
I live in the city and biking is slower but I do it because it's better.
29.17%
I don't live in the city and I get around faster by bike.
4.17%
I don't live in the city and biking is slower but I do it because it's better.
29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 04:18 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm wondering how many people commute to actually save time on top of other things. Even against the subway, I still find that 80% of the time, I'm faster by bike getting to most places in the city.
Old 06-23-04, 04:46 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not faster overall for me. I'm sure it would be against public transport, but given the lack of quality public transport alternatives in Denver that really isn't an option. My alternative to riding is driving the car. If I didn't bike, that would mean buying (plus insuring and maintaining) a second car.

My commute home often takes about the same time on the bike as in the car. In the morning, it takes at least twice the time (50 mins compared to 20-30). That being said, I don't have to do any other exercise on days I commute, so in essence it does save me time over going for a separate ride or the gym after driving to/from work..
Old 06-23-04, 05:13 PM
Shroom

Bikes: Raleigh M40

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it takes me 4 minutes longer to get to work by bike than by car. i use the bike since 4 minutes isnt a big deal and im saving a whole bunch on gas
Old 06-23-04, 05:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Commuting by bike is much faster than public transit.

Commuting by bike is slightly slower than the car. I'd maybe save 5 minutes a day by driving at the cost of thousands of dollars in parking fees and fuel annually.

It's an easy calculation.

[edited for clarity]

Last edited by caloso; 06-23-04 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-23-04, 05:18 PM
goatmeal

Bikes: Merckx Miyata Barracuda!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I don't have a license, so biking is much faster for me. I could take a bus, actually 2 buses which would take about an hour. I could get my wife to give me a ride, which not only would piss her off, but would get my to work in 30 min. Or I could ride my bike, which gives me exercise and gets me to work in 25-30 min depending on traffic and wind. Not really a difficult one to figure out here...

Phil
Old 06-23-04, 06:14 PM
Seanholio

Bikes: Vision R40 - recumbent, Gunnar Crosshairs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking takes me about the same amount of time to get to work. I ride the bike because my truck, which I have since sold, was getting abysmal gas mileage, and the bike was a more economical choice. So, I get to work in 40 minutes instead of 45, and I don't have to buy gas for the trip.

The only detractor is safe bike parking. There are bike lockers here, and I can fit my recumbent into them, but they fill up frequently, and talking to the Facilities department reminds me of mental patients screaming at the walls.
Old 06-23-04, 08:51 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slvoid
I'm wondering how many people commute to actually save time on top of other things. Even against the subway, I still find that 80% of the time, I'm faster by bike getting to most places in the city.
Well, I don't save time by bike, not on the surface of things. I take an hour, instead of 45 minutes by car.

But you know how it really is--time is money, and money is time. The money I save is worth far more than the 15 minutes I save, and the health benefits can't be bought. As for the high, that's only available on a bike at morning light.
Old 06-23-04, 08:51 PM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
For me to take public transit, if I catch the bus is a 40min total trip. Biking is 20 min on average. Driving is about 12-15.
Become reality to me
Old 06-23-04, 09:22 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'm faster in the evenings. Possibly a little slower in the mornings, but not enough to make any significant difference.

That is all.
Old 06-23-04, 09:35 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My commute, door to door is:

- 12 minutes by bike (incl. time to lock or unlock the bike);
- 15-25 minutes by bus (6 minutes in the bus, 8 walking, the rest waiting);
- 20 minutes by car (finding the parking spot takes the longest);
- 25-30 minutes on foot.

Cycling takes a bit longer in downpours (I have to dress accordingly) and car driving takes much longer in a snowstorm (deicing a car takes much more time than deicing a bike).
Old 06-23-04, 09:48 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Here are some interesting statistics gathered by the Seattle Dept. of Transportation.

https://www.ci.seattle.wa.us/transpor.../bikefacts.htm
  • Time to drive from University District to Pike Place Market in light traffic: 15 minutes
  • Driving time during rush hour: 35 minutes
  • Cycling time, moderate pace: 30 minutes
  • Time to park car: 5 - 25 minutes
  • Time to park and lock bike: 1 minute
Old 06-23-04, 10:15 PM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know I save time - tonight was great, I was cruising with a great tailwind and totally passing the cars and buses. It wasn't the kind of passing where they're all gridlocked or anything, either - they seemed to be moving at a normal pace, and I just flew by

You factor in the red lights that I go through when the cross traffic clears, and I probably cut the time it would take in a car in half - it was probably only about 12 min total.
Old 06-23-04, 11:13 PM
iceratt
contre nous de la tyranie

Bikes: Trek 830, Trek 520, Surly 1x1 fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The true amount of time it takes to drive, should have the time cost of earning the money to drive figured into it. If I drove every day, I'd have to ask my boss to change me from 4 days per week to 4.5. With 4.75 more hours per week, added to the car commute, It would take me 55 minutes to drive. I bike to work in 25 minutes. Let's face it, I bike because I'm too lazy to work more.
Old 06-24-04, 05:41 AM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
It takes me longer to commute on my bike, but I still save time. How you ask? 1 hour car commute + 2 hour training ride = 3 hours. 2 hour bike commute/training ride = 2 hours.
Old 06-24-04, 06:20 AM
Hemlock

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It takes me 5 to 10 minutes longer to get to work by bike. Then add the time to change/cool off plus getting up earlier to pack the bike (I have to do a bit more than just put lunch on the passenger seat of the car). Total added time is a bit under half an hour. I feel this is well worth saving the stress of rush hour, the gas money, and the wear on the car (stop and go in town is the worst kind of driving for me and the car). Toss the excercise in as a bonus.
Old 06-24-04, 06:22 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob
It takes me longer to commute on my bike, but I still save time. How you ask? 1 hour car commute + 2 hour training ride = 3 hours. 2 hour bike commute/training ride = 2 hours.
Same here. Only problem is I find myself taking longer and longer detours. What was once a 1 hour ride (total both ways) often winds up being a 3 hour (1 going in, 2 going home) trek. And when I get home I'm feeling so good I'll wind up jumping on the Fixie for a 45 minute whirl around the park.

But then again, it beats sitting on the couch.
Old 06-24-04, 07:35 AM
abc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding is quite a bit faster than public transport for me, but it's about the same speed as being in a car.

Driving would be about 1 minute faster, but that's only because I have to ride about 2km uphill before I get on the main roads. Once I'm there, I keep up with the traffic the rest of the way.
Old 06-24-04, 07:41 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
From out the door to in the door, it takes me anywhere from 60-90 minutes to get to work if I take the subway and anywhere from 50-80 minutes to get home.
By bike, I can get to work in 45-50 minutes and get home in 55-65 minutes and it's consistent every time. Factor in 5 minutes to clean up and I actually end up saving time by bike plus I don't have to worry about being late because of things out of my control.
Driving seems to be the most erratic. Coworkers who live almost the same distance away report taking anywhere from 30-90 minutes to get to work. Ironically, people who live out in the suburbs take 60-90 minutes, seems to be about the same no matter what.

I do love getting a seat on the subway and being able to sleep my lazy ass all the way to and from work in a nice air conditioned train though.
Old 06-24-04, 07:53 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
My work commute is actually slightly faster by car (as long as the weather is good) even after factoring in the time required to park in our private basement garage. However, parking is $6 per day there. Metro is vastly slower than either riding or driving.

Many of my shopping and restaurant trips fall into the "drive for 5 minutes, wait 15 for a parking spot" category. Bike is better -- no contest.

Paul
Old 06-24-04, 08:04 AM
SchreiberBike
One knee is enough

Bikes: 1978 Fuji - now fixed and pegged. 1980s Cannondale Touring - pegged with 18 speeds. 2001 Cannondale CADD 3 - not being ridden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All but a bit of my commute is through rural areas. And by big city standards, the whole thing, including one stop light, is rural. When I drive, it's 8.5 miles in about 12 minutes. When I ride it's 10.2 miles in about 45 minutes.

So, saving time is not really a motivation, but I do get to ride my bike, and it's better for me and the world, and sometimes I can take long detours and get in extra miles.
Old 06-24-04, 08:20 AM
prabbit

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It takes me about 35 minutes to bike to work and 20 to drive to work. (I go against rush hour traffic. I live in the city and work in the suburbs.) There are some local errands to the store that are faster by bike.
Old 06-24-04, 08:56 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prabbit
It takes me about 35 minutes to bike to work and 20 to drive to work. (I go against rush hour traffic. I live in the city and work in the suburbs.) There are some local errands to the store that are faster by bike.
Wouldn't it be a better idea to find a new route where you ride with traffic?
Old 06-24-04, 09:10 AM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. It is the same for me. It kills me when people drive to the gym to work out. WTF?!

Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob
Old 06-24-04, 09:16 AM
alexatbike

Bikes: MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
Same here. Only problem is I find myself taking longer and longer detours. What was once a 1 hour ride (total both ways) often winds up being a 3 hour (1 going in, 2 going home) trek. And when I get home I'm feeling so good I'll wind up jumping on the Fixie for a 45 minute whirl around the park.

But then again, it beats sitting on the couch.

Are you Married?
Old 06-24-04, 09:23 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lala
I agree. It is the same for me. It kills me when people drive to the gym to work out. WTF?!
I guess you don't really think these escalators are necessary either then do you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.