Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Help, I've become the biker my mother warned me about...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Help, I've become the biker my mother warned me about...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 12:26 AM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm snooty, agressive, and punishing out on my commute. I rarely nod to my fellow bikers, and have very little to say, letting my pedals do my talking for me. Of course all this would be just fine if I had a carbon fiber Colnago set up with Campy or Ultegra between my legs. I don't, I've got a Schwinn World Sport, and it's fixed at that, and I am a real cocky bastard out there. It doesn't matter if the wind is blowing in my face at 23mph and I've got a full messenger bag on my back, I"m out there commuting and dishing out all sorts of hurt. If I can catch the next guy in front of me, I do, and I leave him in my dust. I take on all challengers, and often feel "territorial" towards bikers on my route. I"m a bully who is looking for someone to knock the chip off my shoulder, cause it ain't gonna happen.
How did it come to this? I didn't start out to be this detestible bike riding arsehole, but put a pair of bike shorts, a jersey, my messenger bag, my new helmet, and I'm living large, don't try and pass me, cause I'll take you down. I am camoflaged on my innocent Schwinn, you'll come up on me riding your geared bike and chuckle at the middle age biker, posing, and you'll have a fight on your hands. I don't necessarily like what I've become, but it has been a blast becoming.
Honestly, if "they" knew how much fun we have commuting, how glorious it is to commute, how freeing it is to be dependent on ourselves, and how it changes us, "They" would outlaw commuting by bicycle in a heartbeat.
Old 06-29-04, 01:33 AM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn -

Makes me think I might want to ride with you sometime...

But right now I'm not riding anything resembling an innocent bike... straight up Bianchi track.... Problems arise riding during the day when I might round a corner and see a flotilla of disabled kids or people in wheelchairs or people rolling strollers (all 3 recently, slow recreational bikers can be difficult too...)

Anyone in front of you should be a target, though. A target or something to ride against is a good thing. I like cars and buses as targets - it's so much fun to leave them in the dust, but I think a lot of that has to do with my irresponsible running of lights and cutting them off and making them slow/stop because I don't want to.
Old 06-29-04, 03:49 AM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by naisme
I'm snooty, agressive, and punishing out on my commute. I rarely nod to my fellow bikers, and have very little to say, letting my pedals do my talking for me. Of course all this would be just fine if I had a carbon fiber Colnago set up with Campy or Ultegra between my legs. I don't, I've got a Schwinn World Sport, and it's fixed at that, and I am a real cocky bastard out there. It doesn't matter if the wind is blowing in my face at 23mph and I've got a full messenger bag on my back, I"m out there commuting and dishing out all sorts of hurt. If I can catch the next guy in front of me, I do, and I leave him in my dust. I take on all challengers, and often feel "territorial" towards bikers on my route. I"m a bully who is looking for someone to knock the chip off my shoulder, cause it ain't gonna happen.
How did it come to this? I didn't start out to be this detestible bike riding arsehole, but put a pair of bike shorts, a jersey, my messenger bag, my new helmet, and I'm living large, don't try and pass me, cause I'll take you down. I am camoflaged on my innocent Schwinn, you'll come up on me riding your geared bike and chuckle at the middle age biker, posing, and you'll have a fight on your hands. I don't necessarily like what I've become, but it has been a blast becoming.
Honestly, if "they" knew how much fun we have commuting, how glorious it is to commute, how freeing it is to be dependent on ourselves, and how it changes us, "They" would outlaw commuting by bicycle in a heartbeat.
Anytime anywhere, I got a derailler, and a superego. Legs are in>between. I'm usually 15-20 miles back into town, hypoglycemic to beat. Cars better watch out, other bike racers, I just beat em....
Old 06-29-04, 06:35 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll pass you. I ride much the same way-can't seem to help it. I like to pass the "professional" looking guys especially (they get so pissed) and bike cops out on a training ride. I even scolded one for cutting a turn and almost side-swiping me when he re-joined me on the trail. I target riders hundreds of yards ahead of me for overtaking (I do call a pass and let someone know when I want to draft). I'm usually trying to improve on my "best" times and drop anyone who's in my draft, not because it bothers me, it's just extra incentive to ride harder. On or off road, commuting or training, I treat them all as training rides. All this on a cheapo-commuter mountain bike conversion. I even terrorize guys half my size off road; bumping wheels and overtaking on hills and turns. I like hearing "dude, you truck!", or "you're too fast for a big guy". Wait til I get my new Cross Check on the road with Ultegra and 700c's. Like I said before, I'll pass you. :-)
Old 06-29-04, 07:57 AM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How did it come to this? I didn't start out to be this detestible bike riding arsehole, but put a pair of bike shorts, a jersey, my messenger bag, my new helmet, and I'm living large, don't try and pass me, cause I'll take you down.
A few crashes and fifty thousand more miles should provide an adequate level of humility. In the meantime, have fun.
Old 06-29-04, 08:09 AM
prabbit

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't try and pass me, cause I'll take you down.
Was that you I passed this morning? :-p
Old 06-29-04, 08:15 AM
xanatos
Canadian Commuter

Bikes: Iron Horse Maverick '03

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*Cuts testosterone with a knife*
Old 06-29-04, 08:20 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like weaving in traffic as much as you do but if we all biked like the guys in this messenger video, 95% of us would be dead.
https://www.digave.com/videos/red-web.mpg
Old 06-29-04, 08:44 AM
SchreiberBike
One knee is enough

Bikes: 1978 Fuji - now fixed and pegged. 1980s Cannondale Touring - pegged with 18 speeds. 2001 Cannondale CADD 3 - not being ridden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the people I run into with attitude like that . . . drive cars.
Old 06-29-04, 09:29 AM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
I like weaving in traffic as much as you do but if we all biked like the guys in this messenger video, 95% of us would be dead.
https://www.digave.com/videos/red-web.mpg
If that's the same video I downloaded a couple of weeks ago, be warned forumites - it's about 51 megabytes.

But worth it.
Old 06-29-04, 09:36 AM
super-douper
Powered by PB&J

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allister
If that's the same video I downloaded a couple of weeks ago, be warned forumites - it's about 51 megabytes.
probably is, i'm downloading it now.....46% finished 24megs downloaded so far. I hope it lives up to all the hype
Old 06-29-04, 09:54 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's some crazy sh*t! Gotta love it though.

"die trying"
Old 06-29-04, 10:07 AM
Baz
pedalphile

Bikes: For dirt: Brodie Climbmax. For touring: IF Independance. For Commuting: Reflecto-Fixie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy skinny gaps, Batman. That was a fantastic video. Those guys have some serious oomph.
Old 06-29-04, 10:09 AM
alexatbike

Bikes: MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saved this quote and I'm going to print copies out and put them everywhere.
Because one day soon I'm going to be like you...

..and soon after I'm going to sneak up behind you and PASS YOU!
Old 06-29-04, 03:39 PM
inkdwheels
Crack kills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too ride that way. But i wave to other bikers and i try to be nice. Im all about the bike community love. However if its 5am and its dark out and i see your blinky flashing way off in the distance. Im gonna get you. Maybe its a thing about schwinn world sports ( i ride one, fixed too). Im normally just rude to cars. I ignore them, ride to the head of the line at red lights, trackstand, and take off when its clear.
Old 06-29-04, 04:05 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xanatos
*Cuts testosterone with a knife*
Never mind the testosterone... check out the hypcrosity. We usually complain about this type of behaviour from the motorists yet some of us seem to think harbouring such an attitude is okay if we're on a bike? Newsflash folks: it's only a race if everyone involved knows it... otherwise it's really just a race against yourself.
Old 06-29-04, 04:41 PM
ToasterLocker

Bikes: Raleigh C700, Trek 8500 LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. That video blew my mind. STOOPID. But freaking cool....
Old 06-29-04, 05:53 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
{Honestly, if "they" knew how much fun we have commuting, how glorious it is to commute, how freeing it is to be dependent on ourselves, and how it changes us, "They" would outlaw commuting by bicycle in a heartbeat.}

They = Department of "you people"!
Old 06-29-04, 09:48 PM
iceratt
contre nous de la tyranie

Bikes: Trek 830, Trek 520, Surly 1x1 fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
it's only a race if everyone involved knows it...
or if you're eight years old and riding with your brother. My sons think I'm wacko when I tell them that it's not a race.
Old 06-29-04, 10:07 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
Never mind the testosterone... check out the hypcrosity. We usually complain about this type of behaviour from the motorists yet some of us seem to think harbouring such an attitude is okay if we're on a bike? Newsflash folks: it's only a race if everyone involved knows it... otherwise it's really just a race against yourself.
Light n' up.
Racing is yourself\ limits. It's a steam post, not a chase\ destroy. I run againts roadies on a mtb, under 5mph slower.
Aggresive also means alert, quick to react.
A hill, I don't even change gears or cadence. Being aggressive biking is for me good, I'm a vehicle, and act according. When traffics faster 'n me I'm shoulder wise.
Intersection, love being first, IN FRONT of the cars. I'll be halfway before the cage is engaged.

I pass slow people slow. Quickies might get burnt, if I'm not empty.
You can pass repectfullly, or to provoke or inspire. I love keeping up with better bikers, seems I can do it for longer and longer periods now.

I have little interest in 'racing' pro. And am too old. Not on my track.

Man there are people FASTER than me..no kidding, a strange impulse to look over my shoulder as I type..

>jef.

Last edited by jeff williams; 06-29-04 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 07:43 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
One of the advantages of cycling over driving is that you can do all the street racing you want without undue danger or breaking any laws.

Paul
(humming "Dead Man's Curve")
Old 06-30-04, 12:06 PM
1inamil600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good way to relieve some stress....great vid
Old 07-01-04, 04:56 AM
Swoop

Bikes: Scott Aspect 680

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I'm having this vision of what it might be like if everyone did ride bicycles, and it's really not as pleasant as I used to think.

Incidentally, there are dedicated single speed AND racing boards on this site. For big men. To discuss their big manliness.
Old 07-01-04, 06:46 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
One of the advantages of cycling over driving is that you can do all the street racing you want without undue danger or breaking any laws.

Paul
(humming "Dead Man's Curve")
I can think of about 5 laws broken in that messenger race video right there.