Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strange question....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strange question....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 08:13 AM
bpohl
Disgruntled Planner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strange question....

One of my random thoughts from the road... I commute about 45 miles per day, all alone, in the cornfields from Indy to a little town south of here. Maybe it's just an inferiority complex from being a nerdy urban planner; and on my commute, I'm surrounded by farm guys in pickup trucks. Anyway, I find myself staring at my shadow for long periods of time. I'll study my form and see my legs pumping, marveling at he fact that they're making me travel at speeds up to 30 and 40 mph. It's sort of poetic in a way. Am I the only one here who loves my shadow?
Old 06-29-04, 08:18 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You're lucky to live where you can ride in the peace and quiet and take time to notice things like your shadow.
I live in Atlanta and only have time to outrun some jerk trying to run me off the road.
Maybe someday I'll live where the riding and lifestyle are a little more laid back.
Old 06-29-04, 08:33 AM
BanditManDan
Just ride!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I generally don't notice my shadow but I just love to hear the sound of the chain spinning or the hum of the wheels as I ride. Unfortuanatly where I live & ride I don't get to hear it too often. I especially enjoy riding in the country for this very reason.

Dan.
Old 06-29-04, 08:34 AM
brunning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when i'm on my road bike, i'm generally too busy thinking about how hungry i am and what and when i'm going to eat next, but when i'm on my fixie, i like catching a glimpse of a shadow and sometimes thinking "hey... sleek form, there, champ..."
Old 06-29-04, 08:50 AM
H. Star
Short bus rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always look at my showdow and also look for the shadows of others when the sun is in the right direction. Our shadow is the closest thing to a mirror we have.
Old 06-29-04, 09:54 AM
SchreiberBike
One knee is enough

Bikes: 1978 Fuji - now fixed and pegged. 1980s Cannondale Touring - pegged with 18 speeds. 2001 Cannondale CADD 3 - not being ridden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite shadow is just before sunset when I'm riding north or south. The shadow of the bottom of the tire and rim is about a foot long on the road and the rest of the wheel is a long oval going off the side of the road. Extra cool is when your shadow is long and thin until it hits some crops then it stands up straight and rides along with you.

Another cool one is when the shadow of the tip of your brake lever is right on the center of your front tire. Or when the sun is above and behind you and bits of your bike stick out from the shadow of your body.

I love my shadow. I ride the straight and lonely roads of Illinois.
Old 06-29-04, 10:31 AM
holicow

Bikes: Mongrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Me.....and my sha-a-a-dow"

sounds like a song i know...
Old 06-29-04, 12:38 PM
1inamil600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lucky you

Originally Posted by holicow
"Me.....and my sha-a-a-dow"

sounds like a song i know...
Old 06-29-04, 01:09 PM
bpohl
Disgruntled Planner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SchreiberBike
My favorite shadow is just before sunset when I'm riding north or south. The shadow of the bottom of the tire and rim is about a foot long on the road and the rest of the wheel is a long oval going off the side of the road. Extra cool is when your shadow is long and thin until it hits some crops then it stands up straight and rides along with you.

Another cool one is when the shadow of the tip of your brake lever is right on the center of your front tire. Or when the sun is above and behind you and bits of your bike stick out from the shadow of your body.

I love my shadow. I ride the straight and lonely roads of Illinois.
How tall is the corn in Illinois. It was really short here in Indiana until all of those rains we had. Now it's probably about six feet tall. If there were traffic down here, it would be a driving hazard!
Old 06-29-04, 01:14 PM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SchreiberBike
<snip>I love my shadow. I ride the straight and lonely roads of Illinois.
I use my shadow to "see" what I look like on the bike. Its the only way I have to see my form. I never have anyone taking photos of me, so I have to use the shadow.

I ride the winding lonely roads of Central Montana.
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 06-29-04, 02:08 PM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bpohl
One of my random thoughts from the road... I commute about 45 miles per day, all alone, in the cornfields from Indy to a little town south of here. Maybe it's just an inferiority complex from being a nerdy urban planner; and on my commute, I'm surrounded by farm guys in pickup trucks. Anyway, I find myself staring at my shadow for long periods of time. I'll study my form and see my legs pumping, marveling at he fact that they're making me travel at speeds up to 30 and 40 mph. It's sort of poetic in a way. Am I the only one here who loves my shadow?
Ahhh you got Zenned out on your ride. I love when that happens.
Old 06-29-04, 02:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'll study my form and see my legs pumping, marveling at he fact that they're making me travel at speeds up to 30 and 40 mph.
30 to 40 mph? I'd be studying the chunks of lung I'd spew if I could ride that fast.
Old 06-29-04, 03:31 PM
SchreiberBike
One knee is enough

Bikes: 1978 Fuji - now fixed and pegged. 1980s Cannondale Touring - pegged with 18 speeds. 2001 Cannondale CADD 3 - not being ridden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How tall is the corn in Illinois. It was really short here in Indiana until all of those rains we had. Now it's probably about six feet tall. If there were traffic down here, it would be a driving hazard!
The corn has just gotten tall enough to hide a car. As many of the country roads have completely uncontrolled intersections with no stop signs in either direction, common sense says that you should slow down to look around the corner, but people have been able to see what's coming for the last six months, so they don't.

There's very little traffic so people get away with it most of the time, but every year, there are a couple of fatal car crashes.
Old 06-29-04, 03:41 PM
Jeepbikerun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you should mention the shadow thing. Last week on my morning commute I was noticing how cool my shadow looked. I was wishing I could take a picture of it. I know a little corny but it was what I was thinking at the time.
Old 06-29-04, 03:46 PM
TrekRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, bpohl, I your shadow, too!
Old 06-29-04, 06:30 PM
The Terminator
Bike for life.

Bikes: KHS Alite 1000 mtb, Bianchi Celeste Campione, all Campy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I am riding east to west, my shadow looks very muscular and fit, bulging triceps and shoulders. When I am riding more north and south, my shadow looks like a tub of lard. Now which is it? Best -
Old 06-29-04, 08:32 PM
pjbaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes I try to look at my shadow but I always seem to head toward the side of the road and nearly crash.

Now, I prefer to yell "Moooooooo!" when I pass cows during a ride. That's the shiznit!

Pj
Old 06-30-04, 12:14 AM
kip2714

Bikes: 2004 Kestrel Talon, 2000 Specialized Allez Sport, 1990 Diamondback Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best thing about living in corn country is the fact that you can find roads with no traffic, and of course, that tall corn can be marvelous for blocking the wind