Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Old 04-20-20, 11:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M
Sheez, what's left then? Horses? Hmmmm….. Sleds? Paddle boats, boats with oars.... Aaaaaaaaa...…. Hmmmm….. sliding downa rail? LOL. bobsled or luge.... hehehehe Oh wait, electric trains... Like in San Francisco and probably other places... I'm not sure what all trains are powered by electrics and what aren't...… What's the name of the things you ride up when skiing. That's bad, I should know the name of them. I used to work at a ski hill and run them. This is what happens when you get old. You lose words. At least I do. LOL.

Steam engines are not INTERNAL combustion as well.
Old 04-20-20, 01:22 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
Maybe the mission should say "Not directly powered by an internal combustion engine." Or maybe "not directly powered by fossil fuel." Because technically...if something is electric...the generator that produces the electricity is frequently powered by an internal combustion engine of some sort, somewhere. Not always though. And for ski lifts that 3S1M alluded too...some that I've seen have internal combustion engines.

Dan
Old 04-20-20, 02:02 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Maybe the mission should say "Not directly powered by an internal combustion engine." Or maybe "not directly powered by fossil fuel." Because technically...if something is electric...the generator that produces the electricity is frequently powered by an internal combustion engine of some sort, somewhere. Not always though. And for ski lifts that 3S1M alluded too...some that I've seen have internal combustion engines.

Dan
A generator that generates electricity isn’t an internal combustion engine. An IC engine uses fuel to directly convert chemical energy to mechanical energy. Steam powered generators convert chemical energy to heat and the make steam which then turns a turbine. The steam does the work not the exhaust of the combustion process.

And not all generators are steam. There’s hydroelectric and wind.

And a diesel electric engine wouldn’t qualify because it used an IC engine to make the electricity.

Finally, I can think of several transportation modes that fit my description but I’ll let people be creative
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-20-20, 02:59 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by cyccommute
A generator that generates electricity isn’t an internal combustion engine.
I understand that. But an electrical generator doesn't turn itself. Something has to turn it. Frequently it's an IC engine.

Dan
Old 04-20-20, 04:32 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
  • A transportation mode for carrying people (check)
  • that isn’t powered by an internal combustion engine (check)
  • that isn’t a bicycle...nor, for the clowns out there, a tricycle (check)

Back story. Two Labor Days ago I ruptured my achilles tendon, had surgery, had complications, and spent months on a knee scooter.

Shortly after I was allowed to walk I was green-lighted on my bicycle. (Which is how I got to PT.) However, I was very asymmetric. Besides the PT exercises, I picked up this kick scooter to ride switch. Still working on my calf. (It takes far longer these days to heal.)

Oh, there used to be a huge glorious tree in the middle of the rotary, but it was felled by a micro-burst. This small tree is the replacement. (It takes a long time to grow a tree.)

-mr. bill
Old 04-20-20, 10:06 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I understand that. But an electrical generator doesn't turn itself. Something has to turn it. Frequently it's an IC engine.

Dan
Not in very many (if any) commercial applications. If the electricity doesn’t come from wind or hydro power, it’s made by making steam to turn the turbine. That’s not internal combustion.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-20-20, 10:08 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by mr_bill
  • A transportation mode for carrying people (check)
  • that isn’t powered by an internal combustion engine (check)
  • that isn’t a bicycle...nor, for the clowns out there, a tricycle (check)

Back story. Two Labor Days ago I ruptured my achilles tendon, had surgery, had complications, and spent months on a knee scooter.

Shortly after I was allowed to walk I was green-lighted on my bicycle. (Which is how I got to PT.) However, I was very asymmetric. Besides the PT exercises, I picked up this kick scooter to ride switch. Still working on my calf. (It takes far longer these days to heal.)

Oh, there used to be a huge glorious tree in the middle of the rotary, but it was felled by a micro-burst. This small tree is the replacement. (It takes a long time to grow a tree.)

-mr. bill
Not as exotic or romantic or historical as I was hoping but you’ve checked the boxes. Next mission is yours.

Old 04-21-20, 07:39 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Not as exotic or romantic or historical as I was hoping but you’ve checked the boxes. Next mission is yours.
Next mission: A transportation mode for carrying people that isn’t powered by an internal combustion engine that isn’t a bicycle...nor, for the clowns out there, a tricycle. No handlebars, pedals, or tiny trucks and wheels under a platform (no matter how long or short the board is). No auxiliary ICE used for a portion of the journey. Something somewhat exotic (or at least uncommon-ish) or romantic or historical.

Bonus points if cyccommute likes it.

-mr. bill
Old 04-21-20, 08:40 AM
cyccommute 

Next mission: A transportation mode for carrying people that isn’t powered by an internal combustion engine that isn’t a bicycle...nor, for the clowns out there, a tricycle. No handlebars, pedals, or tiny trucks and wheels under a platform (no matter how long or short the board is). No auxiliary ICE used for a portion of the journey. Something somewhat exotic (or at least uncommon-ish) or romantic or historical.

Bonus points if cyccommute likes it.

-mr. bill
Thanks for the do over, ya yob!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-21-20 at 09:05 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-21-20, 08:55 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Wish I still lived in Germany. This would be easy!
Old 04-21-20, 09:17 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Well we have trams, but here they are very common here Also trolleybuses, but most of them these days have also a diesel generator so they can cover some distance without the overhead wires, so those wouldn't count anyway.
Old 04-21-20, 12:01 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Non-entry for amusement only.

I can’t say with a straight face that an electric car is exotic. I would say I see at least one a day.

Nissan Leaf is all-electric but by no means unusual nor exotic nor historic nor romantic.

I’m ok with a DNQ. I would think that ol’ Fredo would have something good around... seems like he’s got a lot of unusual stuff in his range.

I’ve talked myself into a non-entry, for amusement only.

Last edited by flangehead; 04-21-20 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Bat spilling
Old 04-21-20, 01:02 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by flangehead
I can’t say with a straight face that an electric car is exotic. I would say I see at least one a day.

Nissan Leaf is all-electric but by no means unusual nor exotic nor historic nor romantic.

I’m ok with a DNQ. I would think that ol’ Fredo would have something good around... seems like he’s got a lot of unusual stuff in his range.

I’ve talked myself into a non-entry, for amusement only.
FWIW, when I worked on an electric car over 40 years ago (VW chassis, Alpha Romeo body, lead-acid batteries, GE motor, discrete component controller) it was very exotic.

That said, 1st gen Leaf is more exotic.

(Since you self-DNQ, unless you get bonus points....)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 04-21-20 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 01:50 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Let's let it ride.. I'm confident we'll get something fun...

That said, 1st gen Leaf is more exotic. (Since you self-DNQ, unless you get bonus points....)
-mr. bill
I can think of a lot of prospects, terrestrial and aquatic. (There are human-powered aircraft but getting your bike in front of one for the pic would be, well, worth a lot of bonus points.)

That said, if something doesn't show up in a time frame you specify, I'll provide your "mr_bill" clause.
Old 04-21-20, 05:04 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Fenlon Place Elevator. (Re)Built in 1893; claims to be the shortest, steepest railroad in the world. It is used to transport people (and their bikes, if you wish) up and down the steep river bluff of the Mighty Mississippi. Yes, it is as steep as it looks in the photos. I have never actually taken my bike up the elevator, usually opting to pedal up one of the steep nearby streets running parallel to the elevator. The cars counterbalance one another, with one moving up, while the othe travels down, splitting in the middle to avoid each other. I believe the cable cars are moved with an electric motor, as they dont require much effort to drive due to the counterbalanced design. There used to be a few of these in our town, with this being the only remaining example. It was supposed to open for the season on April 1, but unfortunately this has been delayed due to the current business restrictions in place.

Last edited by SalsaShark; 04-21-20 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 06:51 PM
mr_bill

Reminds me of Duquesne Incline in Pittsburgh, Angels Flight in Los Angeles, Castle Hill Funicular in Budapest, and the Glória Funicular in Lisbon.

(I find them historical and romantic and rare enough myself....)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 04-21-20 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 07:01 PM
flangehead

Awesome. Next Mission?

Originally Posted by SalsaShark
Fenlon Place Elevator.
That, sir, is impressive.

I see Wikipedia has a useful route map for the system:

Puts the London Tube map to shame.

Last edited by flangehead; 04-21-20 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Add route map.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 04-21-20, 07:25 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Since we seem to have none of these left in my neck of the woods, i would like to see in the Next Mission: A functioning, public telephone booth.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 04-21-20, 09:35 PM
cyccommute 

Fenlon Place Elevator. (Re)Built in 1893; claims to be the shortest, steepest railroad in the world. It is used to transport people (and their bikes, if you wish) up and down the steep river bluff of the Mighty Mississippi. Yes, it is as steep as it looks in the photos. I have never actually taken my bike up the elevator, usually opting to pedal up one of the steep nearby streets running parallel to the elevator. The cars counterbalance one another, with one moving up, while the othe travels down, splitting in the middle to avoid each other. I believe the cable cars are moved with an electric motor, as they dont require much effort to drive due to the counterbalanced design. There used to be a few of these in our town, with this being the only remaining example. It was supposed to open for the season on April 1, but unfortunately this has been delayed due to the current business restrictions in place.

Very cool. We used to have one at the Royal Gorge but it was burned during a forest fire in 2013. It was a very cool ride down to the bottom of the gorge (about 1200 feet).

Old 04-22-20, 02:31 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
Since we seem to have none of these left in my neck of the woods, i would like to see in the Next Mission: A functioning, public telephone booth.
This is the only pay phone I could find this morning, not really an enclosed booth, kind of a "boothette". As for the functioning part, well ...?

The wires are all connected. I didn't check for a dial tone.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 04-22-20, 02:38 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

This one is intact and functioning.

Next mission: COVID-19/coronavirus closure signage.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 04-22-20, 02:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I'm not sure there's more than one actually public booth left:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/47257
Old 04-22-20, 04:42 PM
SalsaShark

This one is intact and functioning.

Next mission: COVID-19/coronavirus closure signage.
Great job on this one - i wasn't sure if it was going to be achievable!
Old 04-22-20, 06:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Y'all are making me feel old. This is a phone booth. Those are just pay phones. Clark Kent couldn't change into Superman in one of those. Not quibbling, there really aren't working phone booths anymore, just think it's funny that people don't even remember what they were.
Old 04-22-20, 09:12 PM
flangehead

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Y'all are making me feel old. This is a phone booth. Those are just pay phones. Clark Kent couldn't change into Superman in one of those...
I agree that is what I think of as phone booth (as opposed to a pay phone) but we've probably got a better chance of getting a pic with Sasquatch (or as we call them around here, the North American Wood Ape) than an actual, fully functional pay phone booth. Heck, I'm impressed we got pay phones so fast... my only known pay phone is in a regional mall.. I tried to get to it (since I figured pay phone would be the mr_bill clause) but the sign said it was closed for COVID-19.....

From SalsaShark: Next mission: COVID-19/coronavirus closure signage.

Last edited by flangehead; 04-22-20 at 09:22 PM. Reason: bat spilling
Likes For flangehead:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.