Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

In search of a small bike computer

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 03:37 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

Actually I want the smallest Garmin, wahoo etc. that I can get, but still read. I have a Garmin Touring plus, but I don't use it for navigation. RWGPS on my Iphone has performed much better for me. What I want from a unit is basically what I am getting from my current use of my Garmin. Speed, mileage, riding time, grade, temperature, time of day and batter level. I just want it in a smaller size.
Old 02-03-20, 02:46 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Smallest would be the now out of production 20/25. Work great just didn't sell. Can get on fleabay pretty reasonable.
Next would be the 130. Just an updated 20/25 that is larger but again works great.
After that would be the 530/830. Same size then the monster 1030.

I am getting old so my next will be the 1030 for the screen size alone!
Old 02-03-20, 03:37 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
1. There are a bunch of old-fashioned bike computers that don't have GPS and usually don't have altimeters (but some do). Check out Cateye.
2. Lezyne makes a number of GPS-based computers that don't rely on graphical displays, so they're pretty compact. This might be overkill for your needs.
3. Sigma makes this, which uses GPS for speed/distance instead of a wheel-rotation sensor.
4. This thing from Bryton also relies on GPS for speed, but has a proper altimeter.

Using GPS instead of a rotation counter can produce spurious results when you've got a bad signal.
Old 02-03-20, 03:51 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I just received today a Garmin Edge 25, definitely give it a look. It's on sale at SportPursuit dot com.

Old 02-03-20, 09:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
Actually I want the smallest Garmin, wahoo etc. that I can get, but still read. I have a Garmin Touring plus, but I don't use it for navigation. RWGPS on my Iphone has performed much better for me. What I want from a unit is basically what I am getting from my current use of my Garmin. Speed, mileage, riding time, grade, temperature, time of day and batter level. I just want it in a smaller size.
7 fields that are readable kind of begs for something larger than a 25 or 130 sized unit.
Old 02-03-20, 09:49 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Wahoo Elemnt Mini.
Old 02-04-20, 02:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Same quandary recently.

What I considered: Bryton Rider 10 and 15; Lezyne Mini and Macro Easy GPS. But none of the computers for under $100 had every feature I wanted: GPS and GNSS, compatibility with my older ANT+ only sensors (Wahoo wired speed/cadence sensors from 2012, which I really like) and newer Bluetooth/ANT+ sensors (Wahoo Tickr, XOSS induction type convertible speed/cadence sensors).

What I actually got: XOSS G+. It ticked all the boxes.
  • GPS/GNSS
  • Bluetooth/ANT+
  • Built in thermometer and barometric altimeter
  • Weather resistant (it's survived rainy rides so far)
  • Front mounted buttons

I had heard of the XOSS Sprint kickstarter project, but not the G+. The cheaper G+ showed up in an Amazon search so I gave it a try, figuring I could return it if it didn't work out.

The XOSS G+ was a PITA to set up but works great. After fussing and cussing for a day to figure out the device and app, swearing I wuz gonna send it back, suddenly it all clicked and worked very well on a couple of test rides.

Amazon must have been reading my mind because I got a notification of a flash sale at half price. Sucker than I am, I bought another for $25. It's waiting for me to finish a bike build (nearly 30-year old Trek 5900 needs a headset overhaul, and I'm lollygagging on my Diamondback Podium frame build). But it'll get used as well.

The XOSS G+ is an interesting blend of a no-frills bike computer like a CatEye -- speed, odometer, etc. -- with GPS/GNSS and compatibility with my ANT+ and Bluetooth sensors.

No navigation aids at all. It only records GPS data for later use when transferred to our phones, Strava, etc. That's fine because I can use my phone for navigation if needed. And if I don't need the phone to record my rides, the battery will last longer. If I ever need a computer with navigation I'll pony up the cash for a Garmin, Wahoo, or higher end Bryton or Lezyne.

Pairing sensors was a snap, quicker than getting my phones ready with Wahoo Fitness (or Strava, when it still supported some sensors). Wahoo Fitness can still be finicky about pairing senors -- some days I need to repeat the whole "Please recognize and identify and memorize my dang sensors" routine with Wahoo Fitness. But with the XOSS G+ it was one and done. It seems to default to ANT+ when available, which minimizes drama over other devices trying to share the same Bluetooth device.

The XOSS app needs work but the developer is on Facebook and responds to user input. The app has already been improved since I got the G+ a couple of weeks ago. The main problem some users appear to have is European and American customers buying a XOSS intended for the Chinese market, apparently trying to save a few bucks rather than buying the European and US market devices. So they get devices in Chinese language only, or maps of China only.

Upload to Strava works fine. Haven't tried other sites/apps. The XOSS G+ and phone want to be very close together to sync and transfer data as quickly as possible. Even 10 feet across the living room was too far. So after a ride I set the G+ and phone together and let 'em sync while I get a snack and drink. Then the phone syncs the transferred data to Strava. So far, so good, easy and reliable.

Presumably the GNSS capability may add a little more accuracy to GPS in difficult situations. One gripe I and friends have had about Strava is losing all ride data if there's a glitch. Or lost sync will cause a straight line between where sync was lost and regained. So far the G+ seems to track at least as reliably as my iPhone and Android. I'm running both the G+ and phone for now, waiting to see if there's a glitch that messes up the phone log but not the XOSS G+.

BTW, it might get the advertised 25 hour runtime between charges if the backlight is disabled. But with auto-backlight and my usual nighttime rides, it'll get about three 2-hour rides before two of the three battery bars are on. I haven't run it to exhaustion yet but I'd bet it'll last maybe 10 hours with the backlight. Still not bad. I'm in the habit of recharging everything after every ride anyway -- lights, phone, computer, etc.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-04-20 at 02:26 AM.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-04-20, 09:54 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...r/352929827169
some speak well of this one.
Old 02-05-20, 01:21 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Garmin watch. Probably smaller than any Edge, and in terms of how it'll affects your bike, it's like it isn't even there.
Old 04-26-20, 09:04 AM
mtb cheaha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have been shopping for a small unit with basic telemetry (ie. speed, distance, time) for my Mtn bike. I initally went down the Internet search rabbit hole. And then experimented with Android Apps, for my Samsung Note 8, and found that I favor the Wahoo interface. I also compared it to Map My Fitness. Apps works well if you are able to acquire and connect to satelittes. Yesterday, I got what I wanted, with clear skies but prior day with cloudy skies and dense tree covering, was a no contact. I double checked with my geochaching GPS and it was off by 400 ft. I say all that to share that I settled on the Wahoo Mini w/speed sensor, for price and features that were important to me. I will carry my phone for the navigation features. If I need more in the future, I may consider the Wahoo Bolt. Hope this helps.