Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Third party app and Strava

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 10:28 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Now that Strava no longer independently supports heart rate monitoring, I've downloaded the Wahoo fitness app and set it to automatically upload to Strava. So when I'm going for a ride, do I start my Wahoo app, Strava or both if I want my Strava data to include my heart rate? Will just running the Wahoo app and uploading to Strava give me all of the same data that I would get if Strava was running?

Thanks
Old 05-06-20, 09:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, the Wahoo Fitness app will handle all of that, including data from other sensors -- speed, cadence, etc.

I almost never record directly to Strava, for a number of reasons. One problem is Strava can be erratic. It often drops entire activities and has GPS glitches. Wahoo Fitness rarely glitches.

If I record directly to Strava and inadvertently delete an activity rather than edit or crop, it's gone forever. If I do that after uploading from Wahoo or my computer, I still have the backup file.

Losing support for sensors was just the last straw for Strava. I use it, mostly for the social networking thing to keep up with friends, but not to record data.

Some folks still prefer to use Strava for the audible/visual alarms to start/end segments, but there are other ways to do that. I already know where my favorite segments are so I don't need the alerts.
Old 05-11-20, 07:48 PM
Ugly Dwarf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
Now that Strava no longer independently supports heart rate monitoring, I've downloaded the Wahoo fitness app and set it to automatically upload to Strava. So when I'm going for a ride, do I start my Wahoo app, Strava or both if I want my Strava data to include my heart rate? Will just running the Wahoo app and uploading to Strava give me all of the same data that I would get if Strava was running?
I've been wrestling with this very thing.

I use the Wahoo app and it tracks my HR, power and cadence. At the end of each ride, it now (since I authorized it) automatically pushes "an activity" to Strava. Unfortunately, I can't get the Wahoo app to record my track (it does keep track of how far I rode), so it does not have that data to push to Strava. I may have set something up wrong when I installed the app, but from looking at it I believe I've given it all the permissions it requires (only while the app is in use) and I can see "GPS On" in my settings. If you run Wahoo and Strava concurrently, understand your Strava history will show two activities for the same ride - relevant if you're using Strava to keep track of how many miles you ride in a month. Since I can't get Wahoo to push map data to Strava, my Wahoo activity does not capture any segments if you're into that.

Back to your actual question, when I review my Wahoo data in the Strava app my phone, the HR / Power info is not visible. If I access my ride at the Strava site from my computer, I can see it.

Have you installed the Wahoo app and taken it for a ride? If so, did it record your track? Just wondering if it's an app issue, or a ME issue.
Old 05-11-20, 08:44 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I now ONLY use strava for the social parts, the rest is nothing special at all!