Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava Changes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava Changes

Old 05-20-20, 09:35 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 709 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
They would, but also with reason.

Google drew in a lot of users to gmail with "free". So those users built their workflow around this free service (recognizing what it "costs" you in data, etc.). If they'd known years ago that Google would start charging for gmail they might have made a different choice. But now, because they've got tons of emails archived/organized/given out their gmail address they're locked into gmail and it's hard (though not impossible) to switch to an alternative.

Same thing with Strava - if you've saved all your activities there you're locked into them - it's possible, but not easy, to extract your ride data and move it elsewhere. If you care about keeping those records it's not easy to move to a different service to keep track of all your riding.

So, while on the one hand I understand the need for Strava to make money, there's also a whiff of exploiting locked in users.
There are paid gmail services from Google. Google Domain, Google Drive, etc. i have a G Suite account which gives me my own web domain for my office email address, a website and cloud storage, which I gladly pay for.

In Google's situation, they're taking their free email platform, and giving you the option to buy a higher level of service. Adding services, not taking free ones away if you don't pay.

in Strava's case, they appear to now be taking away services that have been free if you don't pay. Given the expectations of most web users, especially those that have grown up on the internet with the expectation that everything is "free" that roll back is a tough sell.
If Strava now wants us to pay, they need to add something new with something that people will really value.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-20-20, 09:41 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
doesn't garmin incident detection accomplish the same thing without paying for Strava?
Garmin has two features along these lines:
  • Live Track is real time location sharing. It's the one that's most like Beacon. People say it's flakey.
  • Incident Detection sends out a "help me I crashed!" text to your contacts.
If incident detection works, it's a much better option. I got hit by a car years ago while my GF at the time had a live track for me, for that kind of reason. She found out when I called her on my way to the hospital. She wasn't just staring at the computer watching my progress. People don't really do that. So Live Track and Beacon is more like a body finder tool than a get help tool.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-20-20, 09:42 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
If Strava now wants us to pay, they need to add something new with something that people will really value.
exactly
Old 05-20-20, 10:35 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Garmin has two features along these lines:
  • Live Track is real time location sharing. It's the one that's most like Beacon. People say it's flakey.
  • Incident Detection sends out a "help me I crashed!" text to your contacts.
If incident detection works, it's a much better option. I got hit by a car years ago while my GF at the time had a live track for me, for that kind of reason. She found out when I called her on my way to the hospital. She wasn't just staring at the computer watching my progress. People don't really do that. So Live Track and Beacon is more like a body finder tool than a get help tool.
the garmin systems work. I use them because I ride alone more now than before but I ride alone. I have had good luck with it. I have tested it out on various occasions to see how well it really works and its been good for me.

I have deleted my strava account, its nothing I want to pay for so I am out of the strava world.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 05-20-20, 10:59 AM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Same thing with Strava - if you've saved all your activities there you're locked into them - it's possible, but not easy, to extract your ride data and move it elsewhere. If you care about keeping those records it's not easy to move to a different service to keep track of all your riding.

So, while on the one hand I understand the need for Strava to make money, there's also a whiff of exploiting locked in users.
As posted earlier, Strava makes it easy to extract all your ride data. Just go to https://www.strava.com/athlete/delete_your_account, make the download request, wait for the email, and download from the link they'll send you. There's no need to then actually delete your account.
Likes For Athens80:
Old 05-20-20, 11:03 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
As posted earlier, Strava makes it easy to extract all your ride data. Just go to https://www.strava.com/athlete/delete_your_account, make the download request, wait for the email, and download from the link they'll send you. There's no need to then actually delete your account.
Yes, I've done that. And then one needs to import - manually - the hundreds of rides into whatever other platform. Yes, it can be done. But the point is it takes effort that people may not want to undertake, and Strava can "exploit" people's laziness about moving to other options.
Old 05-20-20, 02:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
And then one needs to import - manually - the hundreds of rides into whatever other platform.
In what world can that be pegged on Strava?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-20-20, 02:13 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
.... And then one needs to import - manually - the hundreds of rides into whatever other platform....
I use two local apps, SportTracks and GoldenCheetah. I believe both can import multiple activity files in one operation. I just used it to populate a new installation of GoldenCheetah. All the years' activities in my Strava account are now in a new GoldenCheetah installation.

Strava's export compares favorably to Zwift's, which can only be downloaded one activity at a time.
Old 05-20-20, 02:42 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

It's here now on app and website. Worse than I expected.
Old 05-20-20, 03:03 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
In what world can that be pegged on Strava?
The world in which migrating from one platform or another takes time, thereby allowing platforms to take advantage of locked in consumers.
Old 05-20-20, 03:24 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Bless your heart for this being the best you could come up with.
A simple- 'well yeah, now that I understand the definition, I guess free users aren't freeloaders' would have sufficed.
I was in such awe of your eloquent argument that I was stupefied, so I opted to simply reply in the tone and spirit of your own post. Sorry if you didn't appreciate it.

Have a great day.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 05-20-20 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 03:29 PM
WhyFi

The world in which migrating from one platform or another takes time, thereby allowing platforms to take advantage of locked in consumers.
Yeah, I'mma call bull****. Strava made their end of migration easy - that your new provider of choice doesn't have their act together is no fault of Strava's.
Old 05-20-20, 03:42 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I download my Strava data monthly, it is easy. I do that in case one day we have to pay to retrieve it or if Strava goes away.

15yr ago I used to record rides using Garmin Forrunner 201 - very basic GPS tracking. All the files were stored in some Garmin app on local PC, nothing online, but it was easy to export all at one as a .tcx file (.gpx for individual rides) and import in bulk into Strava. Then in Strava I had to manually clean up some activities, categorize the type and give them names. Took about half a day of intermittent work, mainly the renaming and categorizing activity type.
Old 05-20-20, 07:34 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
I just checked out VeloViewer -- that is exactly the kind of "Data Driven" platform I am looking for. I'm not really into the social / KOM side of things on Strava. I could see myself spending most of my time in VeloViewer. Too bad it relies on Strava though.
Old 05-20-20, 10:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Anybody remember Photobucket.com? Photobucket was a free third party photo hosting site. At one point most of the photos on this site were hosted by Photobucket. They then imposed some really high fees, and everyone on here quit using them, and found other free or cheaper ways to manage digital images. Photobucket isn't publicly traded so its hard to see how they've fared financially, but it appears that they are a much smaller company as a result of changing to a subscription model.

To a lesser degree, I think Strava runs a similar risk.
Photobucket was always terrible. That's the main reason nobody wanted to pay for it. The interface was terrible. It was sluggish, non-intuitive, and had no "community" despite its lame efforts at pretending to be some sort of social media. It was what the name implied -- just a dump for snapshots.

The only thing good about Photobucket was it managed to make Flickr seem good. I think I still have a Flickr account but haven't used it in years. My ISP fees used to include a premium subscription to Flickr, but when they discontinued that I never bothered to pay. Flickr never managed to develop decent tools for archiving photos. I switched to Google for awhile because auto-backups worked seamlessly in the background without being a resource hog. Flickr never managed that.

Strava isn't terrible. It generally works pretty well. They've made some efforts to improve (there's no evidence Photobucket ever tried to improve that lousy site).

I got a long free trial run. I don't mind paying for a subscription for a year to see how it goes.
Old 05-20-20, 10:46 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
All the changes are in place now. Oh man this is good! There is basically no reason to use the free version now. It's been completely bastardized, it's totally useless! The only thing you can do is load rides, but the only way to view them again is scroll thru your feed. And there's nothing that can be taken from any of your rides because all your previous efforts are hidden behind the pay wall. They really should just get rid of the free version altogether at this point. I deleted my account and moved all my data to RWGPS, it seems to have all the features I want. Good luck Strava.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 05-21-20, 05:07 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Good riddance.
Old 05-21-20, 05:15 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,222 Posts
Honestly once I have power meter and heart rate monitor I will prolly pay for strava. Without having those things I feel that I am missing out on a lot of the info that the subscription covers. I like strava, it’s easy to use, and I have used it to meet other cyclist in the area.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 05-21-20, 07:35 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by canklecat
The only thing good about Photobucket was it managed to make Flickr seem good. I think I still have a Flickr account but haven't used it in years. My ISP fees used to include a premium subscription to Flickr, but when they discontinued that I never bothered to pay. Flickr never managed to develop decent tools for archiving photos. I switched to Google for awhile because auto-backups worked seamlessly in the background without being a resource hog. Flickr never managed that.
The Strava move reminded me of Flickr's move a couple years ago - piling on free features and then taking them away.

I was a paying Flickr subscriber for years, and then Flickr changed their model and essentially encouraged people like me to go 'Free' by making the storage allotment massive and concentrating the 'Premium' features on things like viewing stats, showing where your viewing traffic was coming from, etc (none of which was important to me - I just wanted adequate storage and the ability to share among groups and friends). So I went the Free route for a while, using less than 1% of my storage allotment, until Flickr was bought by another entity and they switched tacks completely - instead of a data storage cap, they decided to cap the number of images that you could store. This instantly moved me from less than 1% of capacity to about 200% of capacity, and the pricing structure and feature set was so not worth it. On top of that, and far worse than Strava, they said that, if any Free users were over their cap, they'd be deleting pictures, oldest to newest, until the user was back under the cap. Then the user would have to delete a picture from their storage before they could upload another new image.

It was a lot of bull****. I stopped being an active user, though I'd check in occasionally; it seemed as if others had curbed their activity, too.
Old 05-21-20, 08:03 AM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
At first, I thought I might stick with the free version and hang around. Still nice to exchange a few Kudos.

Looks like they pay-walled the Training Log, which was my preferred way to view my activities -- I will be looking at alternatives before paying up. As has been said, Strava's willingness to make radical changes without warning has me skeptical of investing much time or effort into their premium version.
Old 05-21-20, 08:10 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 709 Times in 363 Posts
So it looks to me that I can still my efforts for a segment, and how I compare to my previous efforts on that segment, which is of some value to me.

I’ve lost the ability to compare myself to others on that segment, which to me was at best a curiosity.

I’ve never put much stock in competing on Strava. To me, if you want to compete, pin a number on.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 05-21-20, 08:10 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Bulette
At first, I thought I might stick with the free version and hang around. Still nice to exchange a few Kudos.

Looks like they pay-walled the Training Log, which was my preferred way to view my activities -- I will be looking at alternatives before paying up. As has been said, Strava's willingness to make radical changes without warning has me skeptical of investing much time or effort into their premium version.
They've yanked some stuff from the Free version, but what history do they have of making sudden, radical changes to Premium content? I really haven't taken advantage of a lot of the Premium features, but I'm tangentially aware that they've been adding quite a bit of it.
Old 05-21-20, 10:22 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

My feed is filled with sponsored challenges (aka advertisements) and each time someone I follow signs up for one it adds it again to the feed. This morning I have more advertisements in feed than others rides
Do these advertisements go away with the paid version?
Old 05-21-20, 10:26 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
good article that wound up in my Google news feed

Hot Take
Old 05-21-20, 01:19 PM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, I'mma call bull****. Strava made their end of migration easy - that your new provider of choice doesn't have their act together is no fault of Strava's.
I've been logging rides on Ride with GPS for a long time - started by using the phone app. When I bought a Garmin device, I was able to fairly quickly and easily enable syncing between my Garmin Connect and Ride with GPS accounts so that the rides are uploaded automatically. At some point I decided to also start uploading rides to Strava, so I fairly quickly and easily enabled syncing between my Ride with GPS and Strava accounts - it even automatically uploaded all my old rides. But if I wanted to sync up rides from Strava to some other service and it seems my only option would be to download and then upload all the data manually; maybe it would be doable in batches instead of individual rides, but it would still be a manual process.

It seems fairly clear to me which provider is the one being difficult here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.