Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Specialized Stumpjumper found in Dumpster!

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Specialized Stumpjumper found in Dumpster!

Old 05-20-20, 09:50 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I believe the 5 means 85. The fork style also puts it there.
Old 05-20-20, 10:07 PM
Joeandkristy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I took it to the local Bike Shop today for an evaluation and estimate. He knew exactly what he was looking at...

He called me five hours later and told me he was honored to have been able to work on it! (Not honored enough to charge me less )
  • Replaced chain
  • cleaned up and adjusted derailleur
  • fine tuned the friction shifters
  • replaced all cables and housing
  • tuned up the brakes
  • tuned up/cleaned up/greased cassette, crank. wheels
  • replaced 10 spokes and trued tire
The more I learned about this bike - the more I wanted to make sure it was repaired correctly...

It rides amazing! I can't even begin to describe how wide my smile is when I am on it...I think I am in love.

Thank you everybody for all your help! I will enjoy this ride for a long time.
Likes For Joeandkristy:
Old 05-21-20, 01:33 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
If it's a comfortable fit sounds like the $120 or so you have in the bike was worth it. It's a $300 bike.
Old 05-22-20, 08:16 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
Hang on to that LBS. A lot of shops look down their noses at the prospect of working on bikes like this, so any place where they consider it an 'honor" is worth going back to.

No surprise that it didn't need any other driveline replacements. What happened with the spokes is a typical result of simple maladjustment. For future reference, it's best to check the shifting with the bike on a stand before riding it for the first time. Or if you can't do that, don't shift to the smallest or largest cogs during the first ride. So keep an eye on the rear derailleur adjustment. The bike was originally shipped with a "dork disc" spoke protector between the freewheel and the spokes. Most likely it was plastic, and dried up and cracked and fell off. They're often heaped with scorn, but they can save your spokes.

Those Deer Head derailleurs are highly sought after, even with a little rash. So it was money well spent getting it repaired professionally, getting the assurance that it really only needed "consumables".

Serial number seems to fit the S(1) format, which would make it April 1985. A lot of folks consider this a "holy grail" bike; the simple graphics, y-shaped four-bolt stem, Deer head mechs and friction thumbies are all icons of this era of MTB. The Stumpjumpers are even more desired than their cheaper cousins, the HardRock and RockHopper, to the point that we often refer to the disproportionally higher asking price as the "Stumpy tax".
Old 05-22-20, 11:07 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxDB
Incredible what people throw away in dumpsters 😂
Nice colour as well, and all the alu seems to be corrosion free as well so not too much work on it except degreasing drivetrain, regreasing bearings etc, looks like fun!

​​​​​​Enjoy that!
OK, sorry to throw a little shade on this, but stolen bikes get thrown into dumpsters a lot or randomly discarded. I am not saying this bike was stolen.
Old 05-22-20, 11:14 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 145 Posts
Wish I could find stuff like that in the garbage, very cool vintage MTB.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 05-22-20, 04:24 PM
Joeandkristy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Hang on to that LBS. A lot of shops look down their noses at the prospect of working on bikes like this, so any place where they consider it an 'honor" is worth going back to.

No surprise that it didn't need any other driveline replacements. What happened with the spokes is a typical result of simple maladjustment. For future reference, it's best to check the shifting with the bike on a stand before riding it for the first time. Or if you can't do that, don't shift to the smallest or largest cogs during the first ride. So keep an eye on the rear derailleur adjustment. The bike was originally shipped with a "dork disc" spoke protector between the freewheel and the spokes. Most likely it was plastic, and dried up and cracked and fell off. They're often heaped with scorn, but they can save your spokes.

Those Deer Head derailleurs are highly sought after, even with a little rash. So it was money well spent getting it repaired professionally, getting the assurance that it really only needed "consumables".

Serial number seems to fit the S(1) format, which would make it April 1985. A lot of folks consider this a "holy grail" bike; the simple graphics, y-shaped four-bolt stem, Deer head mechs and friction thumbies are all icons of this era of MTB. The Stumpjumpers are even more desired than their cheaper cousins, the HardRock and RockHopper, to the point that we often refer to the disproportionally higher asking price as the "Stumpy tax".
Thanks for taking the time to give me some great feedback! I rode it over 8 miles yesterday morning - such a fun bike.
Old 05-22-20, 04:37 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by wrk101
OK, sorry to throw a little shade on this, but stolen bikes get thrown into dumpsters a lot or randomly discarded. I am not saying this bike was stolen.
Why would anybody steel this bike, and throw it in the dumpster?

I could swear I can name a list of the places posters post from.
Old 05-22-20, 06:03 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
You probably just need to tune it up and adjust the derailleurs, and replace the chain and the broken spokes. The cables are probably ok if they are still connected, doubt they have been used much,
Old 05-22-20, 06:04 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
Why would anybody steel this bike, and throw it in the dumpster?

I could swear I can name a list of the places posters post from.
Just to be a jerk. But I doubt that is the case here because it is not a likely bike for some teenager to have been riding.
Old 05-22-20, 09:44 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by Oneder
Just to be a jerk. But I doubt that is the case here because it is not a likely bike for some teenager to have been riding.
It's to clean. This was in some sort of storage, maybe in a basement, and the person that pitched it said the hell with it. People don't care.

And where are you going to donate it. Many places you could donate it are closed, and so are many dumps.

And a lot of places won't allow you to put stuff out with a free sign on it.

The OP got themselves a nice bike for under $150. Maybe even less.
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 05-22-20, 10:08 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
You probably just need to tune it up and adjust the derailleurs, and replace the chain and the broken spokes. The cables are probably ok if they are still connected, doubt they have been used much,
He already did:

I took it to the local Bike Shop today for an evaluation and estimate. He knew exactly what he was looking at...

He called me five hours later and told me he was honored to have been able to work on it! (Not honored enough to charge me less )
  • Replaced chain
  • cleaned up and adjusted derailleur
  • fine tuned the friction shifters
  • replaced all cables and housing
  • tuned up the brakes
  • tuned up/cleaned up/greased cassette, crank. wheels
  • replaced 10 spokes and trued tire
The more I learned about this bike - the more I wanted to make sure it was repaired correctly...

It rides amazing! I can't even begin to describe how wide my smile is when I am on it...I think I am in love.

Thank you everybody for all your help! I will enjoy this ride for a long time.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-23-20, 04:07 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
I am amazed at the bikes that are pulled out of dumpsters. This Specialized Ground Control A1 and Gary Fisher Aquila were pulled out of a dumpster one day by my daughter.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 05-23-20, 04:12 PM
StarBiker

The Gary Fisher was the find, but for free I would have taken them both. I have had one dumpster find in 10 years. People aren't this dumb around here, well sort of.......
Old 05-27-20, 08:20 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked 3,101 Times in 1,954 Posts
Ride it...enjoy it? Fix it.

I don’t see anything significant that can’t be fixed cheap enough.

1. There’s a seller on eBay that sells entire Jagwire kits for $16 shipped out of Heyward CA, I think.
2. Spend a bit on a saddle, but adjust yours first and see what is comfortable or not.
3. If the tires are holding air and have no dry rot, they are fine until you decide where you want to ride this.
4. If changing cables, check the pads. Chains are cheap on eBay. KmC is good.
5. watch videos and ask questions in the C and V and enjoy the journey of fixing your own bike! The more you do, the more you CAN!
6. Ask around about great shops in your area.

if you buy a few tubes and tires, they might install them while tuning the wheel and checking the rear derailleur.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 05-27-20, 08:23 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked 3,101 Times in 1,954 Posts
Oops. Scratch the above...

Thought I had read to the bottom...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 05-28-20, 12:05 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
where are these mythical dumpsters of bikes? Such a drool-worthy find!