Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I at elite level? Break down my data/ power data

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-20, 05:26 PM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts

Sup everyone. I completed a century ride the other day. I've been going over my data and I wanted some data junkies to breakdown my numbers and tell me what they think. Tear it apart if you will, I'm looking for honest feedback if I should be pacing better, taking it easier on my climbs etc. A little bit about the route... It was mainly climbing and rolling hills. Looking forward to building a conversation around this. Let me know if you need more info.

Old 05-23-20, 05:37 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Looks like it was a good ride. I am no expert but my sense is you are a strong recreational cyclist.

What’s your weight?
Old 05-23-20, 05:41 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 2,757 Posts
Not close to elite, but a good ride, nonetheless. TSS 800+? You need to do an FTP test, set your zones properly, and then the data will let you know how you did.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 05-23-20, 05:41 PM
illjustride

Originally Posted by datlas
Looks like it was a good ride. I am no expert but my sense is you are a strong recreational cyclist.

What’s your weight?
Thanks, I'm at 200lbs and 6.1 in height.
Old 05-23-20, 05:43 PM
illjustride

Originally Posted by LAJ
Not close to elite, but a good ride, nonetheless. TSS 800+? You need to do an FTP test, set your zones properly, and then the data will let you know how you did.
Right on thanks. Yeah, I've thought about an FTP test. I'll look into that.
Old 05-23-20, 06:03 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Yeah, not elite but not bad. FWIW, your power peak is above anything I've ever done. That's not really part of y training though.

Note how your power declined throughout the event; you have more total speed available if you pace/ hydrate/ fuel better.

And actually that TSS is not just crazy high but impossible - you can't accumulate more than 100 TSS in an hour, by definition (and if you do 100 in an hour, you should be borderline collapsing at the end, not finishing a century). Based on your calculated IF, it seems to think your FTP is 200, which is a common default but inaccurate in your case. Yours is likely not far under 300, if I read correctly that you did 228 for 1:15 during a century.
Old 05-23-20, 06:04 PM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
Looks like you were at about 1.9 watts per kilogram for that ride. I believe most Cat 1/2 riders (is that the right barometer for "elite"?) can put out about 4+ w/kg for sustained periods of time. While a leisurely century is not the best benchmark, I'd guess that you have a ways to go before being "elite".

Out of curiosity, what kind of power meter were you using?
Old 05-23-20, 06:17 PM
illjustride

Originally Posted by Greiselman
Looks like you were at about 1.9 watts per kilogram for that ride. I believe most Cat 1/2 riders (is that the right barometer for "elite"?) can put out about 4+ w/kg for sustained periods of time. While a leisurely century is not the best benchmark, I'd guess that you have a ways to go before being "elite".

Out of curiosity, what kind of power meter were you using?
Thanks 4iiii Precision
Old 05-23-20, 06:36 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug

Note how your power declined throughout the event; you have more total speed available if you pace/ hydrate/ fuel better.
Power decline through a century could easily be due to lack of distance training also.
If you aren't used to pushing along for something like that distance you will fade regardless of pace, hydration, or fuel. Unless you make the pace very slow.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 05-23-20, 07:14 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Power decline through a century could easily be due to lack of distance training also.
If you aren't used to pushing along for something like that distance you will fade regardless of pace, hydration, or fuel. Unless you make the pace very slow.
True. However, anyone not trained for that distance will likely also need improvement on one or all of those other three factors.
Old 05-23-20, 07:19 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Without posting a bike pic against a white garage door we really can't tell.
Old 05-23-20, 08:12 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
My FTP last time I checked was 289 and I'd be able to comfortably do 170 Watts for 6.5 hours of riding. My back would give out, but my legs would be fine

So... do an FTP test and I wouldn't be surprised if you were around 280. I'm 5'10" and about 195 (and 46). Compared to the people on this forum it's just okay, but many casual cyclists will be in awe.

I'm in the Navy and we can do a 12 minute cycling test on an exercise bike for the cardio portion of our fitness test and I'm the best at our command of the 600 people who ride the bike.
Old 05-23-20, 08:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Max cadence 247 rpm. That is some serious spinning
Old 05-23-20, 09:20 PM
fstshrk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
How do you define "elite" ?

At 200 lbs for 6.1, your FTP would need to be over 3.5-4W/kg to make you an elite cyclist which puts you at an FTP of 360W. And let me tell you from my personal experience. Going from 150W to 250W is a lot easier than going from 250 to 350W of FTP at the same weight.
Much easier to lose 30-40 lbs to reduce "tonnage" as they say. At 72kg, FTP of 280W would put you at a highly competitive level.

Regardless, great ride, I hope you enjoyed it. Remember to hydrate and fuel at least every 30 minutes. Calories in, calories out.
Likes For fstshrk:
Old 05-23-20, 09:41 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I gotta say. There are lot of weird things about this thread.

a) what does “elite” mean? The only definition I know is to become a pro or category 1 cyclist according USAC. Maybe category 2 if we’re being generous. Your power data is irrelevant. Just look at your license.

b) OK, maybe you’re asking if your power data indicates that you’re riding at similar level to elite riders. I gotta ask... why? If we said yes, would you go around telling people you’re an elite rider? Would you stop training as hard because you made it as an elite rider? Did your SO say you cannot buy a new bike until you’re elite? If it’s the latter, I will mail you a hand signed certificate stating that you are henceforth to be known as an elite rider.

c) looking at the wahoo data from one ride is not even close to enough for anyone to judge you as a rider. How would anyone tell you how to pace your climbs better from this? A segment analysis from strava would be better. A few power tests, as some have mentioned, would be even better.

d) Please do not take the following as bashing or whatever... I’m just answering your question. I have a friend who races cat 1, weighs 135lbs, has a 1250W sprint and a 260W+ FTP. Doesn’t sound like much but he did 160W+ for 11+ hours the other day. He has a very long and flat power curve relative to most cat 1s. At 200lbs, you’d have to blast some chain-breaking watts to keep up with a cat 1 field, especially if there are hills or accelerations... which there usually are.

I’m very curious about your motivation for this post. If you want training tips, we’re happy to help. But this post just confuses me.

Last edited by smashndash; 05-23-20 at 09:44 PM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 05-23-20, 10:35 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Out of curiosity, what app are you using that displays your data like that? Thank you.
Old 05-23-20, 10:36 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
What would those numbers need to be for the OP to be an elite level track cyclist? Just curious.
Old 05-23-20, 10:46 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Out of curiosity, what app are you using that displays your data like that? Thank you.
That's the Wahoo Companion App.
Old 05-23-20, 10:50 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Sup?
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-24-20, 02:16 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
What would those numbers need to be for the OP to be an elite level track cyclist? Just curious.
Don’t know much about track... but there are quite a few different events, even excluding weird stuff like hour records.

For a 180-200lb pure sprinter, something over 2000W for 1 second would definitely be elite. 1 minute, probably closer to 1000W. Justin williams isn’t even a track cyclist (though I think he used to be) and can probably get close. But he’s effectively a pro.

I’m sure OP could do more than what is indicated in the data. A hilly century isn’t conducive to setting power records.
Old 05-24-20, 05:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Yeah, a bit of this.

I’m very curious about your motivation for this post. If you want training tips, we’re happy to help. But this post just confuses me.
He seems like an enthusiastic guy that's asking because he doesn't know what he doesn't know.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-24-20, 05:49 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 05-24-20, 05:53 AM
illjustride

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
This was the Wahoo App
Old 05-24-20, 05:55 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, a bit of this.

He seems like an enthusiastic guy that's asking because he doesn't know what he doesn't know.
Legit thread or not, I give him kudos. He didn't post a link to his blog.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-24-20, 06:02 AM
illjustride

a) what does “elite” mean? The only definition I know is to become a pro or category 1 cyclist according USAC. Maybe category 2 if we’re being generous. Your power data is irrelevant. Just look at your license.

b) OK, maybe you’re asking if your power data indicates that you’re riding at similar level to elite riders. I gotta ask... why? If we said yes, would you go around telling people you’re an elite rider? Would you stop training as hard because you made it as an elite rider? Did your SO say you cannot buy a new bike until you’re elite? If it’s the latter, I will mail you a hand signed certificate stating that you are henceforth to be known as an elite rider.

c) looking at the wahoo data from one ride is not even close to enough for anyone to judge you as a rider. How would anyone tell you how to pace your climbs better from this? A segment analysis from strava would be better. A few power tests, as some have mentioned, would be even better.

d) Please do not take the following as bashing or whatever... I’m just answering your question. I have a friend who races cat 1, weighs 135lbs, has a 1250W sprint and a 260W+ FTP. Doesn’t sound like much but he did 160W+ for 11+ hours the other day. He has a very long and flat power curve relative to most cat 1s. At 200lbs, you’d have to blast some chain-breaking watts to keep up with a cat 1 field, especially if there are hills or accelerations... which there usually are.

No hard feelings, it's all good. Was just looking for some insight and being transparent with my data. I watched a 1 hour video on how to become an elite cyclist and wanted to have a few people help crunch some numbers from a ride. I know 1 ride won't cut it but I figured I put my numbers out there. I also haven't been riding as much due to the pandemic here, I also don't ride indoors because I don't own a Zwift. I've been putting in 100 to 130-mile weeks. I'm looking to increase that to 200 soon.
Likes For illjustride:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.