Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Sufferfest Reboot with Wahoo

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 08:24 AM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

Most of you have probably received the same ads I just got about Wahoo now offering Sufferfest workouts. This new offering is supposed to suggest customized workout plans based on the results of an initial fitness test. The test, which the ad touts as revolutionary, sounds a lot like other pre-program tests I've taken, where in addition to a standard FTP test, you do shorter, more intense intervals to measure maximal aerobic, anaerobic and neuromuscular capacities. The program then plugs these results in to calculate which Sufferfest workouts can best shore up your weakness and develop your strengths.

Simple enough in concept, but I've found it to be more complicated in real life when doing other programs through Training Peaks.. I'm curious to hear from anyone who has tried this new Sufferfest program.
Old 01-31-20, 05:46 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
It isn't new, just new to Wahoo. Their 4DP test measures as you said, but also sets the intervals based on a percentage of the particular area of training. So an interval that is stressing NM will base the goal on your NM measure. A sweet spot or tempo interval will be based on standard FTP. The intervals are color coded in the app to correspond.

They also just added training plans to the app, something that was missing. I tried to use it but found that sticking to a daily plan is just too hard from a real-life perspective. I try to ride as much as I can, but if I can't do Monday, that day's ride will be skipped as I've never been able to catch up. There is always that nice day you want to ride outdoors, a Zwift event, that beer in the fridge that makes it hard to stay inside and do a Sufferfest video. But when I want a really good workout I'll do one.
Old 02-16-20, 11:19 AM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I tried the new SF app today and was thoroughly disappointed. My smart trainer (Wahoo) paired, but then wouldn't adjust power to match the SF video. I put in a compliant/series of questions to SF, but the bottom line is I'm finding many of these indoor smart trainer plans to be a bit gimicky. They involve too much time making adjustments and dealing with bugs, especially for a non-techie like me. A complete waste of what would have been a nice outdoor training day. Lesson learned.
Old 04-12-20, 01:11 AM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by goose70
I tried the new SF app today and was thoroughly disappointed. My smart trainer (Wahoo) paired, but then wouldn't adjust power to match the SF video. I put in a compliant/series of questions to SF, but the bottom line is I'm finding many of these indoor smart trainer plans to be a bit gimicky. They involve too much time making adjustments and dealing with bugs, especially for a non-techie like me. A complete waste of what would have been a nice outdoor training day. Lesson learned.
When I started with SF and my Kickr Core I turned off ERG mode for the 4DP test. After the test I kept ERG turned off and didn’t think much of SF as I was constantly rowing through the gears to get what I thought was the correct resistance. One day I turned ERG mode back on and it totally changed how SF works. Now I stay in one gear and the trainer changes the resistance. You may already know this but I thought I’d throw it out there.
Likes For bung: