Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1971 Peugeot PA10 or 90s Bianchi Backstreet

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 07:50 PM
sord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have two bike frames and parts for each that have been given to me. One is 1971 Peugeot PA10 (10 speed updated to Shimano gearset) and the other is a early 1990s Bianchi Backstreet (21 speed Suntour Cassette). Both look to be in reasonable shape. I don't know much about bike frames but the Bianchi is a Cr/Mo double butted frame and I believe that is a better frame than the Peugeot steel frame. I am a senior and want to 'build' just one for myself to ride about town and on the cities bike paths. I am asking for some knowledgeable help in deciding which one I should invest time and money on. I will just sell the other on Kijiji

Thanks in Advance
Old 05-19-20, 09:36 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I like old Peugeots but this is an easy choice. Rebuild the Bianchi Backstreet and ride it. It has a better frame and it will be easier to find parts for (except that suntour cassette will be tough to replace; if that goes, you may be better off getting a new rear wheel). Plus it takes fat tires; this is a hybrid right?

If you like the look of a vintage bike, there's nothing wrong with rebuilding that Peugeot, though. It has some oddities but we can talk you through that.

Last edited by bikemig; 05-19-20 at 09:42 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-19-20, 10:39 AM
sord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply
I was leaning that way and when I removed the Bianchi back wheel it did seem different from others I have seen. That was my main reason for thinking it may cause me issues finding parts. My local 'bike store' said that i would need a complete new wheel as they would not even try and get parts for the back sprockets. One or two teeth look a bit worn but I can ride it until I find new sprockets.
Unless I get other contrary opinions, I think I will just leave the Peugeot as is and try and sell it. Anyone looking for a 1971 Peugeot PA10 ?