Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Which one...Schwinn or Nishiki?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 06:04 PM
d4nny3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which one...Schwinn or Nishiki?

First post... Been reading here for a while so thank everyone for your knowledge while I've been in the shadows lol.
So I have a mountain bike, but want to get into the road bike now. Been looking for a while and want an older one that I can restore. I don't compete, just ride with some friends for 20-30 miles a few times a week.
Im looking at either a 1960s Schwinn or a Nishiki Olympic.
i have no info on the Nishiki... But the Schwinn looks great and I've been told needs the bar tape replaced. Schwinn asking $150...Nishiki asking $100...
Thoughts?
It won't allow me to post pics lol.
Old 05-19-20, 06:15 PM
d4nny3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or, perhaps a 1994 Giant Perigee, mint condition, $150
Old 05-20-20, 09:25 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
If you're on a PC I think you can use the "Manage Attachments" button to attach a picture, at least that's how I recall it but I might be wrong. Or can you spell out the link for the bikes you are looking at?

Or you could keep making posts till you make 10 and post the pictures.

Or at least what model of Schwinn is it? I had a Nishiki Olympic that was hi tensile and it was okay. Later on I think the frame was upgraded to Chromoly so it also depends on the year.
Old 05-20-20, 09:45 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
d4nny3 's pics here
Old 05-20-20, 06:03 PM
echo victor 
bicyclatte!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since they both have stem shifters, my guess is that they both fall into similar places in their respective line-ups. The Schwinn looks newer to me (80s, I think), but I can't make out the model name. Do you know what size is right for you? That's probably the most important thing right now.
Old 05-20-20, 07:04 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by d4nny3
First post... Been reading here for a while so thank everyone for your knowledge while I've been in the shadows lol.
So I have a mountain bike, but want to get into the road bike now. Been looking for a while and want an older one that I can restore. I don't compete, just ride with some friends for 20-30 miles a few times a week.
Im looking at either a 1960s Schwinn or a Nishiki Olympic.
i have no info on the Nishiki... But the Schwinn looks great and I've been told needs the bar tape replaced. Schwinn asking $150...Nishiki asking $100...
Thoughts?
It won't allow me to post pics lol.
I have never used the acronym "lol" but when I read a "1960's Schwinn....been told needs the bar tape replaced"....I had to LOL...

d4nny3 , any bike older than 20 years, unless it has been completely overhauled, will need to be before taking it on a 20-30 mile ride.

Looking at the photos, if you are over 6 feet, they may fit you, under 6 feet, too big. The Schwinn looks nicer though

Last edited by branko_76; 05-20-20 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 08:18 PM
d4nny3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6'3 so need a large frame, which the owners say both bikes are. The Nishiki owner pulled all his bikes, so guessing something was wrong. The Schwinn owner is now being shady in some of his answers to questions, so im skeptical.
Old 05-20-20, 08:19 PM
d4nny3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I have never used the acronym "lol" but when I read a "1960's Schwinn....been told needs the bar tape replaced"....I had to LOL...

d4nny3 , any bike older than 20 years, unless it has been completely overhauled, will need to be before taking it on a 20-30 mile ride.

Looking at the photos, if you are over 6 feet, they may fit you, under 6 feet, too big. The Schwinn looks nicer though
I have time to redo a bike, it's not a rush but I keep going back and forth. I like the older vintage look but do I get something newer is my issue.
Old 05-20-20, 08:20 PM
d4nny3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echo victor
Since they both have stem shifters, my guess is that they both fall into similar places in their respective line-ups. The Schwinn looks newer to me (80s, I think), but I can't make out the model name. Do you know what size is right for you? That's probably the most important thing right now.
Need a large frame bike... 60cm so that's what I've been looking for they are just hard to come by.
Old 05-20-20, 08:21 PM
d4nny3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Insidious C.;21486415]/QUOTE]
Thank you 😁
Old 05-20-20, 08:22 PM
d4nny3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
If you're on a PC I think you can use the "Manage Attachments" button to attach a picture, at least that's how I recall it but I might be wrong. Or can you spell out the link for the bikes you are looking at?

Or you could keep making posts till you make 10 and post the pictures.

Or at least what model of Schwinn is it? I had a Nishiki Olympic that was hi tensile and it was okay. Later on I think the frame was upgraded to Chromoly so it also depends on the year.
Won't tell me what style Schwinn and now had died answering me, so oh well.
Old 05-20-20, 11:22 PM
echo victor 
bicyclatte!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're looking on Craigslist (or similar) and tell us where you are, there's probably a few folks around here that can quickly spot some of the best options in your area.
Old 05-25-20, 06:25 AM
d4nny3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, that's a great idea.
Tampa, Florida... But I'll go to Orlando as well.
Old 05-27-20, 10:34 PM
Celeste Mike

Bikes: '88 Cannondale ST400, '89 Bianchi Incline, ’88 Bianchi Limited, '87 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
There are a bunch of tall C&V listings in Tampa. Pretty much anything with downtube shifters will be superior to the two bikes you're considering.

Personally I think this is cool but priced too high: https://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/d...129539729.html
Here's the catalog page for it: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridges...ne-1987-09.htm
It looks like a 59cm so it might be too small for you. You might be on the cusp, size-wise, but I would think you'd want to shop for something over 60cm. (I'm 6' myself, and ride a 59.)

If you're open to aluminum I'd check out this Cannondale tourer: https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik...129607097.html
I think it's an '85 ST400, and it's a size 63, not 71cm as stated in the ad.

Moving further back in time, this is pretty classy: https://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/d...128232714.html