Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When do the 2021s roll out?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-20, 07:27 AM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts

Just curious, I know COVID could’ve thrown a bit of a wrench at this, but my last purchases I waited too long for leftovers, and there were only scraps. When do the new models typically roll out.?

Sure, reduced pricing of a 2020 could be a factor, but it’s more than that - most of these high end bike manufacturers currently are only carrying eTap Red AXS on their 2020 models, and I’d just like to stick with Di2. Canyon, Salsa, Giant all offer SRAM eTAp only. Try getting Di2 on one of these bikes.......

I’m still considering SRAM, but it’s surprising there is not more eTap feedback from users, as these bikes with SRAM have been out for at least a year. I received one positive response from a user of both, but no bike shops keep them in inventory, and I’m not going to buy on good faith. Doesn’t anyone run it on their road bikes?

Finally, the Cervelo C3 was discontinued in 2020, and that (or the C5) is high on my list. And no one knows what will happen there.
Old 05-22-20, 07:37 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
most of these high end bike manufacturers currently are only carrying eTap Red AXS on their 2020 models, and I’d just like to stick with Di2. Canyon, Salsa, Giant all offer SRAM eTAp only. Try getting Di2 on one of these bikes.....
That's hilarious, I remember just for the past years bikes only came with Shimano. If yo wanted Rival or Force, you were SOL.

BTW... i'm very happy with my Red eTap, had it since 2016.
Old 05-22-20, 09:07 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I got a pretty strong hint from a fairly reliable source that the new Dura Ace is unlikely to come out in 2020 and that it is not going to be fully wired. Adding credence to that is the fact that Giant launched its MY2021 bikes without Dura Ace Di2 - likely, they are going to wait for the new version before releasing.

If true, that may also delay MY2021 releases till later - OTOH, bike sales are certainly booming right now, so who knows....

TL;DR - no one knows
Old 05-22-20, 12:28 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Usually the first wave of the next model year, starts rolling out in late July or August.
Old 05-22-20, 03:55 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
typically new stuff rolled out around the Tour de France.....we'll see what happens this year... with manufacturing having been shut in in China, manufacturers may be sitting on a stockpile of frames that they'll want to sell before announcing new versions, so it is possible that many may not go this year anyway. I've been waiting since last fall to see what the new Emonda would bring.... it's killing me to have bike money burning a hole in my pocket...
Old 05-22-20, 09:22 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
The only thing more dangerous than Covid-19 is braking (rim or disk) from Sram.
Likes For Noctilux.95:
Old 05-23-20, 07:33 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Sram took a smack. Covid too
Old 05-25-20, 02:14 AM
softreset

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
We'll start seeing the next model year from Trek in mid-to-May. Matter of fact, we've already sold a couple 2021 Checkpoints. The bulk of the cut over occurs late July / early August, though.
Old 05-25-20, 07:44 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
If the 2021 model still has 11 speed, I wouldn't buy it. You'll kick yourself when 12 speed arrives. 12 speed shimano is likely to require a microspline rear hub and will probably be disc only. I build my bikes with the frame and components of my choice. Haven't bought a prebuilt for 25 years.
Old 05-30-20, 05:35 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Giant is showing 2021 TCR models on their site.
Old 05-30-20, 07:13 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
If the 2021 model still has 11 speed, I wouldn't buy it. You'll kick yourself when 12 speed arrives. 12 speed shimano is likely to require a microspline rear hub and will probably be disc only. I build my bikes with the frame and components of my choice. Haven't bought a prebuilt for 25 years.
I won't mind buying a 2020 as a leftover, even with the 11 Shimano. I've had Di2 since 2012 on two bikes, and I rarely run out of gears. I'm perfectly happy with the performance. My bigger concern would be ongoing support from Shimano for a mature product.

I'm wondering if the 12 speed may have teething problems of its own.......