Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Easton EC90 TKO wheels, proprietary sprockets

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 08-16-11, 11:11 PM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

Hi folks,

I need a bit of help, I have bought a used set of Easton EC90 track wheels, and they came with their 14 tooth sprocket but the seller has lost the other sprockets that came with the wheels. According to Easton the spline pattern (I know, I know) for the sprockets is hyperglide, so MTB sprockets should fit.
What I want to know, is throwing myself to the mercy of the Gods of BF tech knowledge, is:

Has anyone had the same problem and can recommend a sprocket? Surly and (?) a UK company called Gusset look to be the best single speed sprockets.

Does anyone know how to get these out of Easton? Any retailers that you know of that sell the Easton sprockets? I've sent five emails to various email addresses at Easton over the last week and no response, I'm not in the US and my local distributor said I'd be better off contacting them directly.

Have at it. PS 1,000,000 BF points for the first person to tell me to get rid of the hub and put a standard threaded one on. Proprietary ***************!.
Old 08-17-11, 05:27 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
splined

most splined cogs should work, with the proper spacing.

Easton
Old 08-17-11, 11:58 PM
Minion1

Thanks,

Someone from Easton relpied to an email I've sent, so hopefully that should sort it out. Erm, the MTB sprockets are all much narrower where they contact the hub than the easton ones, and I don't want them to eat the hub carrier, I think the broadest base one is 7mm and is 3/32, whereas the Easton ones are 1/8 with a 10mm base. So two reasons I'd rather use the proper thing that something else on probably the most expensive wheels I plan on owning.
Do you know how much replacement sprockets go for?

Thanks, BTW.
Old 09-05-11, 05:01 PM
Minion1

Easton have been kind enough to get in touch and give me prices and instructions for purchasing from them directly. Kudos.
Old 09-06-11, 09:52 PM
Kevint143

Bikes: GT Pulse, Giant TCX2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another question on this type of cog system...what are your thoughts? Why would one choose this over a traditional threaded system?
Old 09-07-11, 01:26 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevint143
Another question on this type of cog system...what are your thoughts? Why would one choose this over a traditional threaded system?
When changing cogs (something that happens quite often during training and racing) on a standard threaded system one needs to use a lockring tool to remove the lockring and a chain whip to remove the cog.

This system and the others like it (Miche and Sugino) only require the use of a lockring tool to remove the cog for gear changes.

The known downside is that (to my knowledge) the system only provides cogs down to 14t, where some stronger riders like to train and race on 13 or even 12t cogs. There is also the risk of the cog and carrier developing some play between them which can only be eliminated by replacing both. Then there is the fact that the cogs are proprietary. All of this to avoid using a chainwhip to remove a standard threaded cog. Some don't think it's worth it.
Old 09-07-11, 07:52 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
That, and most people do not really need a lock ring with a standard cog on the track, especially if you are as strong as Carleton. A couple of good accelerations and the cog will be on there tight (assuming you are not doing too many skid stops on the track!). I know people who race without a lock ring, thinking that in a crash – it might save their knees having a potential breakaway of the cog (allowing it to spin backwards under extreme load).

That is their excuse for not using a lock ring, at least…
Old 09-07-11, 09:01 PM
Minion1

It frankly bugged the carp out of me when I got the wheels second hand (I'm an enduro racer on a budget) after spending a couple of years building up a good range of gearing (DA and Sugino rings, DA sprockets) only to find out the wheels had a proprietary spline system.
I normally resist changes that make things more 'consumable', ie they wear out faster, or you need to buy a new set of something, but to Easton's credit they have done a very good job of designing the system and manufacturing the sprocket. And they have very kindly got back to me and will ship to New Zealand, which is good of them.
Lack of campatability between these and my training wheels is my biggest issue.
As an aside, single speed 3/32 MTB sprockets will also fit, due to the hyperglide spline pattern Easton uses. Not all proprietary systems use hyperglide (White Ind use their own, as do BMX manufacturers)
Old 09-07-11, 09:08 PM
Minion1

Originally Posted by carleton
When changing cogs (something that happens quite often during training and racing) on a standard threaded system one needs to use a lockring tool to remove the lockring and a chain whip to remove the cog.

This system and the others like it (Miche and Sugino) only require the use of a lockring tool to remove the cog for gear changes.

The known downside is that (to my knowledge) the system only provides cogs down to 14t, where some stronger riders like to train and race on 13 or even 12t cogs. There is also the risk of the cog and carrier developing some play between them which can only be eliminated by replacing both. Then there is the fact that the cogs are proprietary. All of this to avoid using a chainwhip to remove a standard threaded cog. Some don't think it's worth it.
^^^ This. Easton makes a 13 tooth, but with 14 - 15 - 16 and a 47 tooth chainring I have a warm up and a race gear. Also have a 52 and a different chain so I can get up to 102 gear inches, which for me is heaps. As for the issue of play that is a concern espacially with using SS sprockets. I can see a 28 hole Dura Ace hub in the future for these wheels.
Old 05-05-13, 08:03 PM
geeillman
geeillman

Bikes: F-it Mike Aitken Series 2, Terrible One Barcode

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've experienced the same lack of customer service from Easton as well. I did eventually get the following information from Benjamin Clemens at Easton:

"Any Shimano splined cog can be used, with the appropriate spacers. Our cogs are available through our customer service (877-835-6629)."

Cog TKO 13T $22.00 (AFTERMARKET)

Cog TKO 14T $22.00

Cog TKO 15T $26.00

Cog TKO 16T $26.00

Cog TKO 17T $32.00 AFTERMARKET

Cog TKO 18T $32.00 AFTERMARKET

Lockring TKO $10.55

Originally Posted by Minion1
Hi folks,

I need a bit of help, I have bought a used set of Easton EC90 track wheels, and they came with their 14 tooth sprocket but the seller has lost the other sprockets that came with the wheels. According to Easton the spline pattern (I know, I know) for the sprockets is hyperglide, so MTB sprockets should fit.
What I want to know, is throwing myself to the mercy of the Gods of BF tech knowledge, is:

Has anyone had the same problem and can recommend a sprocket? Surly and (?) a UK company called Gusset look to be the best single speed sprockets.

Does anyone know how to get these out of Easton? Any retailers that you know of that sell the Easton sprockets? I've sent five emails to various email addresses at Easton over the last week and no response, I'm not in the US and my local distributor said I'd be better off contacting them directly.

Have at it. PS 1,000,000 BF points for the first person to tell me to get rid of the hub and put a standard threaded one on. Proprietary ***************!.
Old 05-05-13, 08:52 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I had this concern about Miche cog/carriers, too.
'Till I used 'em. There is some play between the cog and carrier when it's just the two of them, but the lockring contacts both of them - so when it is tight, it is impossible for there to be play.

I've used a set for five years now, and the convenience for cog changes is worth it.

At Kissena, I'd ride to the track on a 17 and race on a 15.
At NSC, it's 16 for warmups, and 15 and 14 for racing.

So great to have one less step for gear changes between races.
Old 05-07-13, 05:58 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
splined cogs

use cogs with as wide a spline base as the Easton's use.

https://www.homebrewedcomponents.com/...ategories/cogs
Old 05-08-13, 09:53 PM
Minion1

FWIW I've had good use out of a couple of Surly sprockets, but managed to purchase some proper 1/8 ones from Easton, more to put my mind at ease than anything else.
I've used the Miche too in the past, but I'm not a fan of 3/32 width chainrings for track, which is largely irrational preference. THeydid work very well, and went onto my city bike for ages. Really liked them for that application.
Old 06-30-16, 12:20 PM
cali_axela
Señor Member

Bikes: All of them

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zombie thread revival: I also recently picked up a used TKO wheelset, came with a 15t Easton splined cog, would also like to pick up a 14t. Just figured I'd ask here if anyone that has/had these wheels still has one laying around they'd sell me cheap, before I call Easton support for a new one. Still can't find them anywhere else online for sale. Thanks!
Old 01-01-20, 11:58 AM
John7719

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings to the forum members.

this post is fairly old but I thought I ll try my luck anyways. I would like to exchange the bearings on the above mentioned wheelset but I cannot find any related documentation on how to disassemble the axle. It seems that I have to unscrew the dust cover from one side but there is no space for a tool and by hand I couldn’t remove it. Any ideas or tips would be highly appreciated​​​​​​!​​​​​.

Many thanks from Germany!