Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sticker Shock

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sticker Shock

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 02:40 PM
dhfd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sticker Shock

I'm new to this sport, and trying to understand the many muances about it. For my understanding and to justify/explain this to the wife; Why are jerseys/shorts so expensive? Looking online and in catalogs, it seems jerseys are typically going for $70-80. Shorts sometimes over $100.00. Thanks!
Old 03-31-05, 02:44 PM
RocketsRedglare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because a lot of dealers know that they can get knuckleheads to pay that much if they think they will go faster.

I've never paid more than 20 dollars for shorts, and I tend to ride in t-shirts

And I go just as fast and I'm still comfortable
Old 03-31-05, 02:47 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dhfd
I'm new to this sport, and trying to understand the many muances about it. For my understanding and to justify/explain this to the wife; Why are jerseys/shorts so expensive? Looking online and in catalogs, it seems jerseys are typically going for $70-80. Shorts sometimes over $100.00. Thanks!
I often buy mine on eBay where those $70 jerseys (and exactly the one and size that I want) are $29. Look on eBay, you will be amazed at the selection of jerseys and shorts at great prices. This also works for other items like stands, tools, etc.
Old 03-31-05, 02:48 PM
Metro

Bikes: EPX 303 (You probably never heard of it)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jerseys and shorts are not the same as t-shirts and jogging shorts. They are made of modern materials designed to wisk moisture away from your skin, keeping you cooler in warm weather.

I too suffer from sticker shock. At the beginning and end of the cycling season, bike shops have clearance sales. I have found excellent prices there. I have also found great prices on quality gear at longcycle.com. There are a few other sources as well.

No I am not advocating abandoning your local bike shop. I use online sources for items that I could not justify buying locally for more (besides, my wife would divorce me and not only did I pay more than I could afford, I also have to pay alimony and child support ); )
Old 03-31-05, 02:50 PM
telenick
1/2 a binding 1/2 a brain

Bikes: Serotta Ottrott ST, Titus RX100, Seven Sola 29er HT in the works

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Velo swap ...that a good place to get high end togs for cheap.
Old 03-31-05, 02:50 PM
jjmolyet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get my shorts at the local sporting goods store for under $18.00 and I wear t/muscle shirt. I like those new wicking t's I have two of those and they only cost about $7, one was Reebok the other Champion, both are great for cycling. Lots of riders in this forum will bring up the back pockets on a jersey as reason for not wearing t-style shirt. I don't thing the pockets are worth an additional $50+ unless you are racing and $$$ is involved. I use a wedge bag for my stuff.
2008 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er
.........that's how I Roll.
Old 03-31-05, 02:51 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Yep.
Things tend to be overpriced in this realm.
If you're just starting out, go cheap until you really feel the hook.
Later, you'll find that the good stuff does cost more for a reason.

But I have this theory... if you have time to read it.

You get used to paying top dollar for stuff in this sport. And then you decide to try another sport. Say, Archery or Tennis or something way out there.
And you go into a pro shop to buy a new racquet, and because you're so conditioned to paying big bucks, you don't even blink an eye when the salesperson says (in an apologetic tone), "Um, this one's kind of expensive. It's $200."
You whip out your wallet happy as heck to finally spend under $500 for something. You almost hug the salesperson.
They treat you like Mr. and/or Mrs. Big Time from then on.

Welcome to cycling.
Old 03-31-05, 03:04 PM
dhfd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are the Pearl Izumi shorts w/ different chamois for different riding styles really worth it?
Old 03-31-05, 03:08 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are definitely some overpriced cycling products though. Degreasers a popular example. Jerseys are good too. I use $10 polyester stretch-fit wicking shirts instead. They work brilliantly. Helmets are another one. Some people say the venting in expensive helmets is actually better. I think they're just trying to rationalize their spending. The vents don't look much different.
Old 03-31-05, 03:11 PM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recursive
There are definitely some overpriced cycling products though. Degreasers a popular example. Jerseys are good too. I use $10 polyester stretch-fit wicking shirts instead. They work brilliantly. Helmets are another one. Some people say the venting in expensive helmets is actually better. I think they're just trying to rationalize their spending. The vents don't look much different.
Yeah, but the venting looks COOLER. And you want your helmet to look cool, don't you??
Old 03-31-05, 03:13 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
After a few century rides you may think that expensive shorts are a good deal. You may be upset you did not buy them before. It could mean the difference between a saddle sore or not, it could mean the difference between finishing a long ride and not making it.

It has to do with comfort, power, and convenience. You get more. And of course the big one, profit. I get a lot of use out of Performance brand shorts. Not too expensive.
Old 03-31-05, 03:15 PM
platypus
Style-challenged

Bikes: Colnago C-50 Extreme Power, Bianchi Pista, Somec single-speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
Yep.
you go into a pro shop to buy a new racquet, and because you're so conditioned to paying big bucks, you don't even blink an eye when the salesperson says (in an apologetic tone), "Um, this one's kind of expensive. It's $200."
Funny, I came to cycling from the other direction - racing cars. Now *that's* an expensive hobby. Nowadays I look at all the bike stuff, and it's just all so cheap!
Old 03-31-05, 03:16 PM
dhfd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A road helmet is another item on my 'want' list...I got a Giro Encinal last season before I got into road AND knew I'd really like it. Wish I could redo that purchase. Considering the Giro Monza or Bell Furio. The Atmos, is nice, but too rich for my blood!
Old 03-31-05, 03:25 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Good thing you're not into skiing......
Old 03-31-05, 03:25 PM
Corsaire
Dancing on the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to get sticker shock a year ago, now it's like I'm hooked, I just paid $ 90.00 for a pair of skewers, just because they weight 44 grms/pair !
I would've never thougth I'do something like that before. Gosh!

Corsaire

Originally Posted by EventServices
Yep.
Things tend to be overpriced in this realm.
If you're just starting out, go cheap until you really feel the hook.
Later, you'll find that the good stuff does cost more for a reason.

But I have this theory... if you have time to read it.

You get used to paying top dollar for stuff in this sport. And then you decide to try another sport. Say, Archery or Tennis or something way out there.
And you go into a pro shop to buy a new racquet, and because you're so conditioned to paying big bucks, you don't even blink an eye when the salesperson says (in an apologetic tone), "Um, this one's kind of expensive. It's $200."
You whip out your wallet happy as heck to finally spend under $500 for something. You almost hug the salesperson.
They treat you like Mr. and/or Mrs. Big Time from then on.

Welcome to cycling.
Old 03-31-05, 03:34 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff-o
Yeah, but the venting looks COOLER. And you want your helmet to look cool, don't you??
Haha. I'll keep my visor, thank you very much.
Old 03-31-05, 04:16 PM
meme
Buddha Khan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dhfd

I went to a sewing factory that was going out of business and they were liquidating everything. They happen to sew a lot of sports clothing for Adidas, Hind, Pearl Izumi, etc. I bought enough cycling apparel to probably last a couple of decades. The jerseys that normally sell for $70~$80? I got it for $2 each. I only found out about this on their last day of liquidation, so I didn't get as much selection as the people who found out earlier...but I still got excellent deals. I guess you just have to spend some time to search for these special deals.
Old 03-31-05, 04:56 PM
Moonshot
Now with racer-boy font!

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The good stuff is expensive, but it lasts. I have jerseys that I still wear that are at least 10 years old. Shorts don't seem to last as long, but I can get 3 - 4 years out of a pair of decent bib shorts.

Cycling shoes? I have about eight years on my current pair and I expect they'll last at least another five years.

www.eastalabamacycling.org
Old 03-31-05, 05:21 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I'm not saying they are worth $60, but the zippers on cycling jerseys are nice to get some fresh air either on a really hot day or on a cold one on the way up a big hill. With a t-shirt on, you don't have that option. And for what it's worth, I've tried wicking t-shirts for riding but they are no where near as nice as my jerseys (Pearl Izumi, Nike, Sugoi, Hind) in terms of breathability and overall comfort.
Old 03-31-05, 05:23 PM
larue

Bikes: Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing I spend money on is the shorts, where I've noticed you get a better fit and better chamois when you spend a little extra. Nothing extravagant though, I wear Pace. Jerseys I actually buy used on ebay.
Old 03-31-05, 05:27 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
look elsewhere

cheap glasses (thanks to tip from a forum member):
https://www.labsafety.com/store/produ...parent_id=3668

wicking t-shirts - also available in hi visibility colors and long sleeve:
https://www.alertshirt.com/loosefit.html

I have $15 (on sale) bike shorts that are very comfortable and have over 3000mi on them and never caused a problem for 4hr+ rides.

But if you want 'the look' you need to pay.

Al
Old 03-31-05, 05:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My theory is to be willing to spend good money at the body/bike interfaces: tape/glove pedal/shoe, saddle/short. Especially saddle/short.

As for jerseys, if you don't care about zippers, wicking fabric, and rear pockets, then don't bother. They sell t-shirts at Target. Sox and sunglasses too.
Old 03-31-05, 06:06 PM
canisestinvia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
speaking of sticker shock...can anyone tell me what's the deal with zipp stickers costing upwards of 80 dollars? they look pretty cool, but that's pretty crazy
Old 03-31-05, 07:21 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
As for jerseys, if you don't care about zippers, wicking fabric, and rear pockets, then don't bother. They sell t-shirts at Target.
Some of the tshirts they have do have wicking fabric. And are tapered. The differences are the zipper (I think some even have this) and the rear pockets, which aren't worth $60 to me. I'd rather wear a wicking shirt than a cotton tshirt on a ride if it is long enough to sweat. The pockets are certainly useful, but I'd rather have 2 jerseys and 4 "athletic wicking shirts" than 6 jerseys, given the prices.
Old 03-31-05, 07:31 PM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ebay for sure. But please don't bid on any small shorts tonight. You'll be my competition and a really need new one. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.