Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

a word regarding collegiate jerseys

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-05, 09:18 PM
astrocub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

for those interested in supporting their alma mater or favorite
school by wearing the college's jersey, i'd like to point out that
the jerseys commonly found online are generally not the real
deal. for instance, the jerseys which can be found on nashbar

https://www.nashbar.comresults.cfmcat...it=y&pagename=

are not the true jerseys worn by the college's team (note the
lack of sponsor logos as evidence).

instead of buying these knock-offs, buy directly from the collegiate
team. most of the teams sell their stuff online and most are non-profit
groups so the $ is directed right into the team to support the racers/riders.
instead, the jerseys on nashbar minimally support the school (and
perhaps the team in no way) through some sort of licensing agreement.
plus, some schools sell more than jerseys which allows you to get a
full collegiate kit for pedaling around town in.

let's support our collegiate teams.
Old 04-17-05, 09:29 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Second that.

Most collegiate teams are supported through sponsors and the rider's pockets. Mostly the latter. Although, I do remember UCLA always showing up in cool Bruins painted vans compliments of the school. But this was the exception rather than the rule.

-Z (SDSU-Dog Spot)
Old 04-17-05, 10:25 PM
K6-III

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We paid for our jerseys out of pocket (University of Minnesota)
Old 04-17-05, 10:32 PM
Nhubie

Bikes: trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How the U of M cycling team this year? I saw a guy in full kit near coffman a while back.
Old 04-17-05, 11:04 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Nice unclickable truncated link there. If you just paste it in a post, it'll get parsed automagically.
Old 04-18-05, 12:07 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Good post. My favorite jersey is the real deal. My wife got it directly from the Cal Cycling Team. She paid retail and the team kept the profit. Great way to support college cycling.
Old 04-18-05, 12:12 AM
forum*rider
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree.

When I wanted a UCSD jersey my uncle advised me to buy it from the shop on campus. When I did, the salesman(student of UCSD) thanked me for buying from them as the money would go to support the cycling team.
Old 04-18-05, 12:25 AM
canisestinvia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know what though, even at the school store, the jersey money sometimes won't go towards the team. At the University of Texas at Austin, that's just the case. After having their jersey designed and created for the team, Voler went behind the team's back and mass produced and sold jerseys to the school. The school now sells these jerseys at the bookstore and the team doesn't get jack.

If you're interested in purchasing UT's jersey, visit their homepage at www.utcycling.org or a direct link to their clothing line for sale here .

Now that I've plugged UT's jersey, I'd also like to throw in my own team, the Cougars of University of Houston. I personally think our jersey is better looking . Click here for more info.
Old 04-18-05, 08:05 AM
astrocub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Nice unclickable truncated link there. If you just paste it in a post, it'll get parsed automagically.
thanks for the valuable response; this added a lot to the thread.
if you really want to see the kock-off jerseys, you can use this
amazing new site called "google" and search on "nashbar college
jerseys". enjoy.
Old 04-18-05, 08:45 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Wow the UT prices are pretty good. I may have to pick some of that stuff up...man I wish I had more time to spend down there...I need to move to Austin.

That siad the real deal PSU stuff is availible at The Bicycle Shop and Mt Nittany WheelWorks. I find it interesting that both are sponsors of the team and depending on the shop you buy from their logo is on it...they both claim to be official. These two shops have some serious animosity for each other as well. The guys the founded WheelWorks left The Bicycle Shop to do so.
Old 04-18-05, 08:48 AM
jlin453

Bikes: Jamis Satellite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canisestinvia
You know what though, even at the school store, the jersey money sometimes won't go towards the team. At the University of Texas at Austin, that's just the case. After having their jersey designed and created for the team, Voler went behind the team's back and mass produced and sold jerseys to the school. The school now sells these jerseys at the bookstore and the team doesn't get jack.

If you're interested in purchasing UT's jersey, visit their homepage at www.utcycling.org or a direct link to their clothing line for sale here .

NICE I might have to consider one..

Wow, here's the one the COOP sells, for $70

Last edited by jlin453; 04-18-05 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-18-05, 09:16 AM
tomcat
pedal, paddle and plod

Bikes: Felt F1 frame (scandium tubing with Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork, Ultegra, Mavic Ksyrium Elites), Klein mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno about the concern here. I know that for my state of Arkansas that the Razorback logo is trademarked and that someone is paying the Razorback Foundation to use it on a jersey. Any money earned from use of the logo is paid to the Foundation which will be used for support of Arkansas athletic programs. But, Unv of AR does not have a cycle team to my knowledge so there is no loss of revenue specific to a cycle team. So, in my case it wouldn't matter if I bought a school jersey from Nashbar. I guess the point here is that IF you're favorite school has a cycle team then this may be an issue but in some cases it's not.

tommy
Old 04-18-05, 09:36 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Good post. My favorite jersey is the real deal. My wife got it directly from the Cal Cycling Team. She paid retail and the team kept the profit. Great way to support college cycling.
Yeah, they do have awsome jerseys, good racers too.
I agree if you want to a jersey go through the team. Plus I've seen Cal jersey in Performance, compared to real thing looks really ugly.
Old 04-18-05, 09:52 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

While I'm at it, let me post a pic of my favorite jersey:

Mine's a long sleeve version, with a script "California" down the sides. Almost makes me sad that it's warming up.
Old 04-18-05, 09:59 AM
astrocub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomcat
I dunno about the concern here. I know that for my state of Arkansas that the Razorback logo is trademarked and that someone is paying the Razorback Foundation to use it on a jersey. Any money earned from use of the logo is paid to the Foundation which will be used for support of Arkansas athletic programs. But, Unv of AR does not have a cycle team to my knowledge so there is no loss of revenue specific to a cycle team. So, in my case it wouldn't matter if I bought a school jersey from Nashbar. I guess the point here is that IF you're favorite school has a cycle team then this may be an issue but in some cases it's not.
yes, i agree with this; when there is no cycling team at the school you don't
have a choice. but the concern here is genuine and definitely well directed. the
$ from using the trademarked logo on the kock-offs does not always find its
way directly back to the cycling team. when you buy from the team it does and
as folks have mentioned you get a better product.
Old 04-18-05, 11:36 AM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At The University of Oklahoma, cycling's a club sport. I would imagine that's the case at many schools. Licensing fees go to the school, but, at least in the case of OU, the university didn't give much money generated from those revenues to club sports.
Old 04-18-05, 01:52 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It would be nice to get one from Michigan State. The only place I see to get one is to order from the club.

At that "University" in Berkeley, who is this guy named "CAl" that things are named after?
Old 04-18-05, 04:04 PM
Geoff326

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
It would be nice to get one from Michigan State. The only place I see to get one is to order from the club.

At that "University" in Berkeley, who is this guy named "CAl" that things are named after?

that's a joke right? and wats with putting University in quotes, r u from stanfurd?

I attend Cal, and i've always wondered why Berkeley was given the nickname Cal and not one of the other UC's.
Old 04-18-05, 04:23 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by astrocub
thanks for the valuable response; this added a lot to the thread.
if you really want to see the kock-off jerseys, you can use this
amazing new site called "google" and search on "nashbar college
jerseys". enjoy.
Sorry to tell you, but if you're going to post something you can't reasonably expect anyone to do the work for you. Your post is almost worthless without the working link.

Instead of seeing it as an attack on your post, see it as a note for future reference when posting links. It's not hard. You paste it, it gets parsed, you do nothing and it works prefectly.
Old 04-18-05, 05:05 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Geoff326
that's a joke right? and wats with putting University in quotes, r u from stanfurd?

I attend Cal, and i've always wondered why Berkeley was given the nickname Cal and not one of the other UC's.
Of course it was a joke. NO, I'm not from Stanfurd, although I like the riding in that area. I was in the area of Michigan State for a few years, and my sister gradiated from there.

The day before the Michigan State, University of Michigan game, a delivery man got on an elevator in Lansing, Mi, which already had three passengers, two men and a woman. The delivery man suddenly looked at one man and said; "You must have gone to Michigan State". "Correct", said the man, "but how did you know". The delivery man said; "You've got a custom tailored suit, hand made Italian leather shoes, and a $100 haircut, it's obvious". Then he looked at the woman. "You must have gone to Stanford". The woman said; "Wow, that's amazing, how do you do that"? ""You're wearing an Armani business suit, hand tooled leather businesswoman's purse, you have an attitude that says you're sharp as a tack, but still laid back." The third man said; "Well, you're two out of three, would you care to try for a third"? The delivery man thought hard for a minute, then said; "You went to the University of Michigan".
The third man said; "That truly is incredible, how on earth could you tell"? The delivery man said; "I saw your class ring when you picked your nose".
Old 04-18-05, 06:48 PM
astrocub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Sorry to tell you, but if you're going to post something you can't reasonably expect anyone to do the work for you. Your post is almost worthless without the working link.

Instead of seeing it as an attack on your post, see it as a note for future reference when posting links. It's not hard. You paste it, it gets parsed, you do nothing and it works prefectly.
are you just sore about the comment i made regarding your crashed helmet in this other
thread ( https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=100309 )? or perhaps that crash
affected your melon and your social skills.
Old 04-18-05, 09:37 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
That's halarious.

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
The day before the Michigan State, University of Michigan game, a delivery man got on an elevator in Lansing, Mi, which already had three passengers, two men and a woman. The delivery man suddenly looked at one man and said; "You must have gone to Michigan State". "Correct", said the man, "but how did you know". The delivery man said; "You've got a custom tailored suit, hand made Italian leather shoes, and a $100 haircut, it's obvious". Then he looked at the woman. "You must have gone to Stanford". The woman said; "Wow, that's amazing, how do you do that"? ""You're wearing an Armani business suit, hand tooled leather businesswoman's purse, you have an attitude that says you're sharp as a tack, but still laid back." The third man said; "Well, you're two out of three, would you care to try for a third"? The delivery man thought hard for a minute, then said; "You went to the University of Michigan".
The third man said; "That truly is incredible, how on earth could you tell"? The delivery man said; "I saw your class ring when you picked your nose"
Old 04-19-05, 10:02 AM
kaisersling
An un-oiled squeaky wheel

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo, Mercian King of Mercia (Floppy); Fuji 500X; GT backwoods; Tour de Suisse; Diamond Back Interval

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
didnt you already support them by paying your tuition
Old 04-19-05, 10:24 AM
caloso

Originally Posted by kaisersling
didnt you already support them by paying your tuition
Not really, at least in my case. A Berkeley education is one of the great bargains of all time. Reg. fees were ridiculously cheap when I was an undergrad (although it didn't seem like it at the time). There's no way I could ever pay back in dollars what I gained from going to school there.

And club sports like cycling get very little support from the university. Jeff Tedford may get a renovated stadium for the football team, but I bet the riders are buying their own tires and tubes.
Old 04-19-05, 10:27 AM
dhfd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been wanting a Duke Univ jersey for awhile that I saw at the LBS. I did a google search and found that Duke does have a cycling team/club. I emailed the president about buying one, but hadn't heard anything back...Anyone else ever tried to buy a jersey from them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.