Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anyone actually ever upgrade cheap bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-05, 03:58 PM
chroot
Newbie Extraordinaire

Bikes: Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard the sentiment "you shouldn't buy a cheap bike, because you're going to want to upgrade its components really soon anyway" over and over here. However, I've never known anyone to actually buy a low-end bike (e.g. Trek 1000), and later put a bunch of money into upgrades. I'd venture that 99% of the time, the person just goes out and purchases an entirely new, higher-end bike. Has anyone here ever actually done the cheap-bike upgrade, or does anyone know someone who has? I think it's baloney.

I think I'm going to change my mantra to: Buy a cheap bike if that's all you want to spend right now. Just know that ou're not going to like it much anymore after a year or two. You're then either going to make some kid's day by selling it for $100, or you're going to use it as a beater bike. Expect to buy another in a few years.

- Warren
Old 08-15-05, 04:04 PM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone here has a totally upgraded Scott Speedster S5. Looks nice.

I just got my Allez. My reasoning was that the bike I know I really want is going to cost more than I'd be prepared to spend right now, since I don't know how much I'm going to enjoy cycling. I figured blowing $500 is easier than blowing $1000. If I were to get new wheels for my bike, that would be something I could bring to my next bike. Same for some of the components. I do like my bike as is though, and don't think spending the extra $500 now would have made me any happier, especially since I knew that even with the extra money, it still wouldn't have been the bike I really wanted.

Also, I think the frames you get now from the larger manufacturers in the lower price range aren't as "cheap" as the ones that used to be sold at that price point.
Old 08-15-05, 04:10 PM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chroot
I've heard the sentiment "you shouldn't buy a cheap bike, because you're going to want to upgrade its components really soon anyway" over and over here. However, I've never known anyone to actually buy a low-end bike (e.g. Trek 1000), and later put a bunch of money into upgrades. I'd venture that 99% of the time, the person just goes out and purchases an entirely new, higher-end bike. Has anyone here ever actually done the cheap-bike upgrade, or does anyone know someone who has? I think it's baloney.
Bull! You haven't been around long.There is a major market in upgrading trek 1000s and other similar stuff.
Old 08-15-05, 04:13 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
99% of the time you're probably right - people don't upgrade entry level bikes, at least not much more than wheelsets and saddles (which are often upgraded on $1000+ bikes too).

Every now and again, someone like racingpain comes along. No offence to the dude, but what he's done isn't a financially rational decision, and highlights the biggest problem with upgrading an entry level bike - you can easily spend more on parts and labour than you would on a better equipped new bike, and you've still only got one bike.
Old 08-15-05, 05:04 PM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- i've upgraded an entry level bike, but i bought it used... in my case, i replaced some scuffed components (brifters, derailleurs), then upgraded the wheelset... i ended up with a much nicer ride for about $200 over retail new, so i'm happy...

- the bike will serve splendidly until i pop for a better one - but that's about a year down the road, so to speak, as i'm still a chunkmeister...

- the new bike *will* sport a steel frame made in the US...

:-)

(details: Allez Sport 27 (2003), replaced w/105 components and added 32H 105 hubs w/Mavic Open Pros - all black; plus clipless pedals, lightweight rear rack, wedge bag, two bottle holders, wireless cyclocomputer , etc.... i also do my own work)
Old 08-15-05, 05:04 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Shimano 105 Equipped Schwinn Traveler - need I say more?

(Brakes are Ultraga quality long pulls, Front/Rear Derailleurs are 8 speed 105, Shifters are downtube 105 Golden Arrow friction, and Brake levers are Campy style Tektro Aeros)
Old 08-15-05, 05:08 PM
RiDE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=114244
Old 08-15-05, 05:12 PM
sunninho
Go Titans!!

Bikes: '04 Eddy Merckx Team SC - Record - Rolf Prima Vigor; Andy Hampsten Cinghiale - Dura Ace 7800 - Rolf Elan Aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would be cool to convert an old steel road bike into a nice fixie or track with upgraded parts.
Old 08-15-05, 05:13 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 03 Allez Sport that's been upgraded to 105 with an Ultegra rear der. that a friend practically gave me. I bought the Allez frame for cheap on eBay and took the 105 stuff off of a Litespeed frame that didn't fit so well. I needed the cash at the time, so I'm not sure I would have upgraded a cheap bike under normal circumstances, but here's one guy with an upgraded cheap bike.
Old 08-15-05, 06:10 PM
Urban Shooter

Bikes: 2006 Gary Fisher Opie, 1980's Fuji Grand SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my two cents worth. I shop around for sales but choose to upgrade my 80's Nishiki Olympic because I want to learn to do my own repairs and upgrades. I would be to afraid to try that on a more expensive road bike. In general, I can agree that it would be foolish to spend money on a cheap bike when the cost/labor would get you a new one.
Old 08-15-05, 07:15 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
Originally Posted by sunninho
Would be cool to convert an old steel road bike into a nice fixie or track with upgraded parts.
Beyond the wheelset, what more would you do that would make any appreciable difference?
Old 08-15-05, 07:26 PM
sunninho
Go Titans!!

Bikes: '04 Eddy Merckx Team SC - Record - Rolf Prima Vigor; Andy Hampsten Cinghiale - Dura Ace 7800 - Rolf Elan Aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New wheels would be a good start, and throwing on a Dura Ace/Record drivetrain and new carbon bars couldn't hurt. Some of which depends on the physical constraints of the older frame.
Old 08-15-05, 07:31 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My sister got a low-end Lemond Etape(?). She upgraded the wheels and hubs and will now kick anyones a** riding a more expensive bike climbing hills and on the flats. It ain't the ride - it's the engine that counts the most !!!
Old 08-15-05, 07:39 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
But that Etape is a very nice entry level bike...I almost got one 'til I was offered a ridiculous price on a Tourmalet.

― Bruce Lee
Old 08-15-05, 07:42 PM
Cyclist01012
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ok ok ok I ride a trek 1000 (04 model). Yes it has been up graded. Did it cost me alot of money to do it? No I shoped smart for what I got, and alomost everything that has come off it will be used in a builld

First to go were the pedalsi started out with the stock ones tehn went clipless. Started with a set of low end shimano spd cant remember the number. Then went to a set of Shimano A520 pedals becase I wanted a sligltly larger platform I think I have about 100 bucks betwenn the 2 sets and the old ones are in use on a different bike or will be as soon as the build id done.

second to go where the wheels and tires. Replaces with a set of Shimano 550's picked up on sale for about 125. and the cassetter for another 25. Not because the old ones were bad or week or to heavy. But because I didnt like the idea of wearing out my road tires on rollers So I have a spare set for indoors

Next to go was the front fork. Did I need to, no not really but chip and seal roads beat the heck out of you and I wanted to see if they smothed out the ride any. Replaced with a OLCV Carbon 110 Of a friends high end treck that had been trashed in a wreck so i thought id give them a try. Original for will be reused on a build project

Then the shifters went. Not that I had any problems with the sora's that were on it they wernt comfortable to my hands. Replaces with a new in box pair of old Shimano RX7's 65 bucks includeing shipping on ebay. THe sora's will most likely go on a cross bike or a comuter thats in planning stages.

No i dont count things that have been replaces because of wear to be upgrades chains, bar tape cables housing brake pads ect
Old 08-15-05, 08:15 PM
jimmymc85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don’t know if this counts as upgrading a cheap bike, but I have a 99 Cannondale CAAD3 (no model #) frame that I originally built up with full Sora 4 years ago. I have been slowly upgrading it ever since.
As it stands now:

Full DA 7700 except brakes and shifters, which are Ultegra 6500
Full Carbon Kinesis Fork, Cane Creek Headset
Campy Carbon seat Post
Weyless Carbon Bars
Titec Titanium Stem
Flight Saddle
105-Open Pro wheels

I shopped around and built everything up myself, so discounting the price of the full Sora group which is now on a commuter, I have ~$1100 in the bike. I think that a rather good deal, and I didn’t have to pay it all at once.

Personally I like the CAAD3 and chose to use it as my main bike, I also have an 03 Allez Comp which technically should be better, but I built it into a single speed instead
Old 08-20-05, 09:30 PM
dhfd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got an '04 Allez sport, i've been wanting to upgrade the wheels to something racier, than the ALEX 400's that are on it now. I was thinking the Shimano 535s or 540s.

However, struggling w/ the decision to upgrade or save up for something new. I really haven't had the bike that long, got it 12/04. another problem is trying to convince wife to the idea of upgrading parts. ('Aren't the ones on it now working ok?')
Old 08-20-05, 09:52 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I have Speliales Allez that I bought on sale in 2002. When I bought it I had no idea what to get so I just went with my firends suggestion. It came with Tiagra and Sora components. Earlier this year my chain ring was bent, so I went with 105 double. Ofcourse I had to get a new bottom bracket. Since I went from triple to a double I ended up upgrading/switching front and rear deraliurs. Only other thing I upgraded was my rear casete, because I wanted bigger gear at the back for a climb I was doing. Other then that everything else is as it came with the bike. I might be getting a new wheels because my rear hub is wearing out. Will see. Hopefully I will be getting a new bike soon.
Old 08-20-05, 09:54 PM
TehArrow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a 2002 trek 1200 that still remains bone stock(minus clipless pedals and things that needs to be changed to be even remotly competitive)
Old 08-20-05, 09:56 PM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're not supposed to upgrade a cheap frame, and more expensive bikes are already upgraded, when would you ever upgrade components?
Old 08-20-05, 11:50 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rebuilt my Trek 820 with all new drivetrain and wheels. I don't want to have anything to do with the overcomplicated mountain bikes they sell these days. I can imagine some people have older basic (steel) road frames they love, too.
Old 08-21-05, 12:05 AM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'd say it's pretty common, either in shop as soon as you purchase the bike; "Hey throw a Brooks saddle and 105 derailleur on there." OR buying fenders, etcetera from the internet. I've never owned a bike, entry-level or otherwise, that wasn't noticably improved from the time I bought it.
Old 08-21-05, 12:39 AM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I have about 3k or so in my bike...

Trek 2100 road bike

Stock Bike - 1350
Bontrager Race X lite aero wheels - 450 (350 trade in on the stock wheels)
Sell of stock drivetrain and misalanous parts - (-300)

Total to this point = 1500 dollars

DA10 drivetrain (with DA casette) = 950 dollars
Fizik Airone Saddle - 80 dollars
Race XXX Lite seatpost 110
Ultegra Pedals - 110 dollars
Race XXX Lite bottle cages - 100

Total on Parts - 1350

Total bike - 1500+1350 = 2850 + consumables = approx 3k
(no charge for labor since I bought the parts from the LBS)

Was it worth it... yes! I did not find a carbon bike that I liked, I liked the BB stifness of the model and it was not 4k like a custom. Someday I will swap the frame and get a litespeed ultimate and go campy on the 2100 but for about the price of most carbon trek bikes it is not bad.

Now If I was to swap the fork, bars and stem we would approach 4k and then we bascially have a madone 5.9 in a trek 2100 frame.

If you buy a cheep bike it is really a toss up. You really have to get the parts cheep enough to be able to make it work economics wise.
Old 08-21-05, 12:42 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I upgraded the hell out of a sub $1k bike. Reason was mostly I liked the frame, and didn't feel like screwing with finding the "right new frame", as well as wanting to get my hands dirty doing it myself

For me the journey is worth more than the end.
Old 08-21-05, 05:34 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by chroot
Has anyone here ever actually done the cheap-bike upgrade, or does anyone know someone who has? I think it's baloney. Warren
Oh sure - happens all of the time. There's a whole culture of compulsive bike tinkerers who constantly upgrade some bikes that would be pretty marginal otherwise. Some do it out of economic need, some because they get almost as much pleasure out of doing the upgrades as they do from riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.