Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wheels of Age

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wheels of Age

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-22, 02:38 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Wheels of Age

I recently read an article in the newspaper about a hundred-year-old man who cycles tens of kilometers almost every day. Granted, with minor electrical assistance (and sometimes stopping for a coffee along the way hi-hi), but brave nonetheless. For fun, he enjoys nature. And because staying active is good medicine. Nice story.

I hope we can all keep cycling, and have fun.
Likes For Bikewolf:
Old 02-24-22, 03:47 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I cannot imagine how it must feel to be 100 years old.
But every year the picture becomes a little clearer.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 02-24-22, 10:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
They the world is going, doubt that I would want to be here at 100, but more power to the gentleman still at it.

I met an 82 YO male doing a 55 miler around lake Washington who had ridden coast to coast 5 times. He was quite the guy. (Riding into my 80s would suit me fine)

Old 02-25-22, 10:05 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
My dad's mother lived to 100 and 6 months. (1900-2001) She kept physically active. She never learned to drive and together we trod all over Chicago (with the help of busses and trains). She made it a point to walk at least half an hour every day. She was gone before I reached 40, but now at 60 I find her more of an inspiration than ever to "keep moving", especially since I work from home and no longer bike commute.

Finally at 97 vision, hearing and balance challenges got the better of her and she slowed down.

However, she remained mentally sharp...sharper than any of us until the end. ("Not always a blessing," she would say.)

When asked what it was like to reach 100 she replied "It is like science fiction". She advanced from humble beginnings without running water or electricity, to cellphones and the internet, from horse-carts to jet airplanes. And when asked what she felt the most amazing technological development of her lifetime was she answered that the most amazing thing to her was how quickly modern miracles became passé...lightbulbs, telephones, radios, tvs, cars, jets, computers, cellphones...mankind has an amazing capacity to take things for granted.

She personally experience some of the greatest horrors mankind could conceive and carry out, and it was only after her death that we, her grandchildren learned of the details.
Likes For BobbyG: