Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wife rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-23, 04:53 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Maybe you should suggest your wife change her look instead?
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 07-28-23, 05:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
To be clear.....my comment was not meant to be a criticism, just a statement of fact.
Understood.

My wife grew up in an environment where she was taught that people in the world would judge her - clothes, appearance, behavior, etc. That mentality (programming, if you will) has been really difficult to put behind her, and has been a hinderance for her in many ways. I agree with you 100% that a lot of it is a waste of time and energy. I think we did a decent job not passing it on to our kids, thankfully.
Old 07-28-23, 05:40 PM
bikelif3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
NOPE...staying out of it...yes, I've posted, but I'm STAYING out of it...I wear Uniqlo athletic shorts and Airism tops. No bibs for me...
Old 07-28-23, 07:08 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
When you said you didn't want to get dressed up I'd assumed you have a fairly loud cycling outfit with sponsor logos and loud colors. You've got the kind of outfit plenty of people wear just for the sake of riding, simple and basic. Its annoying having to do the extra wash but I can see where she could get annoyed thinking you're not taking her riding seriously enough. Personally I've never liked to bother wearing cycling outfits which she's known since I first got her into cycling, but she finds it important to look the part every time she rides has well. I'm glad she doesn't try to have me do so but if she were to ask I wouldn't mind doing so and would pick an outfit like yours.

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Just wait until you get home and she’s got a Batman costume for you and she’s dressed up as catwoman.
Michelle Pfeiffer version?
Old 07-28-23, 10:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
You know, it occurs to me that she might feel like if you dress like some schmo at a picnic, rather than in cycling kit, that you're telling HER that you don't take the activity seriously, that riding with her isn't REALLY riding. So maybe it's not about how you look to other people.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-28-23, 10:22 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Okay, seems a bit odd to me. But, FWIW: as a female, sometimes it's harder to be taken seriously about things. It may be she feels that unless she's kitted up, people-- especially men-- aren't going to see her as a "real" bike rider, but more like someone toodling along wobbly-like on her pink Barbie Dream Beach Cruiser at 3 mph with the saddle too low for half a mile and then calling it quits for the year. I would love to tell you I'm making this up, and it's hard to explain to someone who's not experienced it, but as a person who's regularly underestimated in (insert activity here; there are many) for absolutely no reason... I can feel her if that's why. So, therefore, she may feel that if *she's* kitted up, she doesn't want to be dressed up by herself. (Mind you, she's probably more likely to be taken seriously simply by virtue of being with a man-- or, at least, people are less likely to comment on it)

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Just wait until you get home and she’s got a Batman costume for you and she’s dressed up as catwoman.
Just wait until you get home and she's got a Batman costume and she wants you to dress up as Catwoman...
Old 07-29-23, 04:58 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
To be clear.....my comment was not meant to be a criticism, just a statement of fact.
Right. It took me a little while to understand that my wife doesn’t need to all my thoughts.

Maybe 1/4 of them? Filtered.
Old 07-29-23, 05:02 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Eric F
Understood.

My wife grew up in an environment where she was taught that people in the world would judge her - clothes, appearance, behavior, etc. That mentality (programming, if you will) has been really difficult to put behind her, and has been a hinderance for her in many ways. I agree with you 100% that a lot of it is a waste of time and energy. I think we did a decent job not passing it on to our kids, thankfully.
People will judge you.
Not all successful real estate agents desire to own a nice car, but they know it’s a perceived marker of success among others.
The trick is knowing when to go in and out of character.

I have realized similar things about hypocrisy, but I think most can’t handle willful hypocrisy. They just tell themselves they aren’t hypocrites.
Old 07-29-23, 05:03 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
My beloved better half has been riding with me for years. She is not very fast, and she has no heat (or cold) tolerance--conditions have to be very pleasant, or she won't go. She doesn't like riding in traffic, and won't go up long or steep hills. To her, long is anything over two miles, and steep is anything over 2%. But she's been gradually improving her stamina over the years, and she can go 25 miles or so on flat terrain. I accept the fact she'll never join me on a century ride over mountain passes in 90 degree heat. I'm just glad she's willing to go out and ride with me at all. It's something we really enjoy together. We have some easy MUPs in our area that she loves when the weather is nice, and I love any time spent on a bike.

Here's the trouble. She expects me to look the part. When I hop on my road bike for a 30, 50, or 100 mile ride at 18 MPH, I'm wearing my best bib shorts and tight fitting jersey. I'll have a few packets of Gu in my pocket, and wear my Oakley M2 Frame glasses. These things all make small but noticeable differences in my performance. Sometimes, when I'm joining my wife for a casual Saturday brunch run or whatever, I might decide to ride my 22 pound steel frame fixie. It has 32mm Gatorskins and about the most non-aero seating position possible. I might also choose an even heavier 3-speed city bike. Because I know we're only going 10 or 15 miles, and average speed will be about 12 MPH, I might choose some cargo shorts or joggers and a T-shirt, polo, or even a casual button-down. She gets a little upset and tells me I have to wear some more serious biking attire. Why? Because she's wearing her most performance-oriented clothes, and if someone sees us, she wants them to know we're avid bikers. In casual clothes, I might project the wrong image, and then people won't take us seriously. I've tried to tell her, "You wear whatever works for you. I'm fine with this comfortable outfit for today's ride." But that doesn't go over so well. She pretty much insists I dress up.

Anyone else have to dress the part for the sake of your riding partner's intended image?

Outside of the dressing the part bit, this is my wife. However, she has mentioned to me once or twice that she feels odd when she dresses in her riding gear and I am more casual , but she does not give me grief about it.

Old 07-29-23, 05:15 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I'm not sure, but to my befuddled sense of perception, most of you fellas got the mate selection process wrong. I tried, through several long and short term relationships, to bring my potential life partner to the same level of bicycling at which I live and ride. Finally, I modified my eHarmony profile to specifically state that no one except dedicated, serious bicyclists need apply. I reached out to my current fiancee because her profile mentioned bicycling three times. (Many women claim to like cycling because they have a bike hanging in the garage, but they don't necessarily ever ride out of the neighborhood.) Although she was concerned that I was too old (5 years) for her, I convinced her that my lack of maturity offset my excess years, and we went on a few rides together. I found we rode at the same pace and she was game to go on longer and longer rides, 45-55 miles after a few weeks of training. I told her my philosophy of training rides to prepare for touring, both supported and unsupported, with 50+ mile days, day after day (we were both in our sixties). After we determined that we were bicycling - compatible, we worked out the rest of the relationship.
Edit- riding clothes were never part of the interview process.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 07-29-23 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-29-23, 05:48 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
My wife grew up in an environment where she was taught that people in the world would judge her - clothes, appearance, behavior, etc.
Yeah, we call that place planet Earth...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 07-29-23, 06:39 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Understood.

Probably all of us have been subjected to some sort of conditioning by our parents and community. The more we find out own truths the better.
Old 07-29-23, 06:41 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
In my experience, telling my wife that her opinions are a waste of time and energy probably isn't going to go very well for me.
True. but if she can hear your truth the better for her.
Old 07-29-23, 08:22 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

I think many (most?) people in western civilization want too much from their spouse.

I told my dad, “You complain that your wife doesn’t have a job, but you totally rely on her to keep the house up, pick up after you, etc. You probably can’t have both.”

Sexual partner.
Best buddy.
Taxi driver for the kids.
cook.
maid.
provider.
workout partner.

WTF. Pick 2 or 3, not everything at once unless you enjoy being let down by your own expectations.
Old 07-30-23, 12:00 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Probably all of us have been subjected to some sort of conditioning by our parents and community. The more we find out own truths the better.
Accurate. The specific topic I mentioned is one that my wife and I have discussed at length, many times. She understands how it has effected her.

True. but if she can hear your truth the better for her.
My post that you quoted with this was half-joking.
Old 07-30-23, 12:04 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I think many (most?) people in western civilization want too much from their spouse.

I told my dad, “You complain that your wife doesn’t have a job, but you totally rely on her to keep the house up, pick up after you, etc. You probably can’t have both.”

Sexual partner.
Best buddy.
Taxi driver for the kids.
cook.
maid.
provider.
workout partner.

WTF. Pick 2 or 3, not everything at once unless you enjoy being let down by your own expectations.
I don’t know what most people want, but I have what I want - a partner. Most of those things on your list, we share. Some - and others - are tilted one way or another. To me, things feel pretty balanced. That said, everyone determines their own definition of “balance”.
Old 07-30-23, 07:46 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
I finally got my wife to start riding with me about 8 years ago. Not much, but she would accompany me on the weekends. She got up to doing about 25 miles per ride, it was great having her along. Then about 3 years ago she had a minor bike accident that was more terrifying then injurious but it was enough to keep her from wanting to ride again. I miss spending that time with her. If she told me the only way she would ride again with me was that I had to dress like a clown, I'd be shopping for clown costumes this afternoon.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 07-30-23, 07:53 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Interesting
Old 07-30-23, 08:25 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Anyone else have to dress the part for the sake of your riding partner's intended image?
Not with physical activities and sports, no. Never been one to do the "kit" thang, myself.

Was "minimalist functional" back when I was distance running. Same, with cycling, preferring "functional / utilitarian" to anything else. Never did fit in with the "in" crowd, but that's never bothered me. Never had a group-activity member complain, or hold anything on me, to gain compliance.

Of course, doing events might well require something else, depending on the event. But it'd have to be some wild "do" for me to think dressing "to the nines" (in kit) would be appropriate.
Old 07-30-23, 01:16 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You know, it occurs to me that she might feel like if you dress like some schmo at a picnic, rather than in cycling kit, that you're telling HER that you don't take the activity seriously, that riding with her isn't REALLY riding. So maybe it's not about how you look to other people.
A lot of it is this exactly. I said she’s concerned about what people will think, but it’s also the image I project to her, that I’m not taking the ride seriously.
Old 07-30-23, 01:20 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
Okay, seems a bit odd to me. But, FWIW: as a female, sometimes it's harder to be taken seriously about things. It may be she feels that unless she's kitted up, people-- especially men-- aren't going to see her as a "real" bike rider, but more like someone toodling along wobbly-like on her pink Barbie Dream Beach Cruiser at 3 mph with the saddle too low for half a mile and then calling it quits for the year. I would love to tell you I'm making this up, and it's hard to explain to someone who's not experienced it, but as a person who's regularly underestimated in (insert activity here; there are many) for absolutely no reason... I can feel her if that's why. So, therefore, she may feel that if *she's* kitted up, she doesn't want to be dressed up by herself. (Mind you, she's probably more likely to be taken seriously simply by virtue of being with a man-- or, at least, people are less likely to comment on it)
Yeah, you get it. I think you’re spot-on with these insights.
Old 07-30-23, 02:38 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I finally got my wife to start riding with me about 8 years ago. Not much, but she would accompany me on the weekends. She got up to doing about 25 miles per ride, it was great having her along. Then about 3 years ago she had a minor bike accident that was more terrifying then injurious but it was enough to keep her from wanting to ride again. I miss spending that time with her. If she told me the only way she would ride again with me was that I had to dress like a clown, I'd be shopping for clown costumes this afternoon.
This.
I lost my wife to cancer. You don't want to have any regrets over something trivial that would have made her happy.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 07-30-23, 02:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't wear a cycling kit so that means I am sub-human and my rides are not serious enough and don't count ....Wow just wow, if cyclists would just stop being so obsessed about projecting their serious cyclist image. Truth is that your fancy kit only matters here on bikeforums, the more expensive your kit is the more high fives and likes you get.... out in the real world nobody cares about your flashy kit and fake sponsorship logos. Only people who are shallow judge others based on how they look, you really don't know anything about the other person whom you're judging.
Old 07-30-23, 04:17 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't wear a cycling kit so that means I am sub-human and my rides are not serious enough and don't count ....Wow just wow, if cyclists would just stop being so obsessed about projecting their serious cyclist image. Truth is that your fancy kit only matters here on bikeforums, the more expensive your kit is the more high fives and likes you get.... out in the real world nobody cares about your flashy kit and fake sponsorship logos. Only people who are shallow judge others based on how they look, you really don't know anything about the other person whom you're judging.
You're reading the thread all wrong.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-30-23, 05:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
This is quite the thread! To the OP and any like him, NO. You do what your wife says. Have you learned nothing? Good grief.

And of course, yes, you get a tandem ASAP, and a decent one. A steel Co Motion will do just fine. Yes, it's expensive but it'll make a bigger difference than you might think, in every way. My wife is a bit like yours and good for her. We dress matchy-matchy on the tandem, full kit. Her idea, and fine. We started with neighborhood rides and after a couple years, graduated to hilly group rides. We've ridden double centuries and even RAMROD, though she said, "Never again!" One doesn't see many tandems on that event ride. I didn't see any this year. We usually put in a couple thousand miles a year on it, even in our 70s.

I actually prefer to ride the tandem if possible. Why? Because it's harder! Make you strong, like bull!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.