Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Toes go numb....whats the deal?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-05, 01:17 PM
Nashville Man

Bikes: Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No matter how I arrange my seat height or level I can't seem to get rid of this issue. Is it the seat itself or are my measurements just off? I feel my toes going numb after about 10-12 miles into my ride. Any one else experience this? What did you do?
Old 04-17-05, 01:35 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your foot may be too far forward on the pedal axel and you are pedaling on your arches. Check foot alignment with the axel
Velocity
Old 04-17-05, 01:38 PM
Nashville Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems to go away after I get up out of the saddle for a climb. I don't know if it has something to do with the saddle height, or the saddle itself. I think my shoes are correct, but at this point I'm searching for straws........
Old 04-17-05, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Take your bike and shoes to your LBS and get a proper fit. Numb feet is mostly caused by cleat misalignment, and sometimes because shoes just don't fit properly.

You're searching for straws, but this is a good place to start, even if you don't think we're right.

Koffee

Old 04-17-05, 05:23 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Shoes too small or too narrow?
Loosen up straps/laces on shoes?
Riding with feet pointed down?
Old 04-17-05, 05:50 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is it all the toes or just a few? Just on 1 foot? Anything else go numb? Butt hurt, too? Hows your seat? Have any other foot problems?

I'd check:
1. seat adjustment, your position on the seat itself
2. shoe size/tightness
3. cleat position
4. your form
5. your foot type (flat footed, etc)

My guess based on what you've stated is that a nerve is getting stretched or pinched somewhere. It could be high up near your butt (probably unlikely), around your knee (again, probably unlikely), around your ankle (possible), in your foot (probable), trauma, infection, tumor (sorry I had to add those or certain other physicians on this board would probably make me go study ).
Old 04-17-05, 06:07 PM
Nashville Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. My shoes are actually a bit on the big side. I tried a ride with the shoe straps a little looser and it didn't really seem to make a lot of difference. I've never really paid attention to whether or not I ride with my toes down or level. I'll try to be more conscious about that and see if it makes any difference.
Old 04-17-05, 07:42 PM
EricT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had the same problem with my big toes going numb after about 30 minutes.

What did the trick for me is to pull up on the pedals more. In other words, try to put some power into the upstroke and not just on the downstroke. It takes some pressure off of the bottoms of your feet.
Old 04-17-05, 07:48 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Another thing to check would be your socks. I had numb toes problems until one day I showed up at a riding spot and discovered that I forgot my socks. I made a quick trip to a closeby REI and as I was browsing the sock display, realised that all along, I was wearing socks a size too small. After switching to medium sized socks (gave the smalls to my wife), I no longer get numb toes.
Old 04-17-05, 07:51 PM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So if you've got wide hips and toes that point out, how would you adjust your cleats to alleviate numbness in the last two toes?
Old 04-17-05, 07:57 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aikigreg
So if you've got wide hips and toes that point out, how would you adjust your cleats to alleviate numbness in the last two toes?
If you have lateral adjustment capability then try moving the cleats inwards which would move your feet out. Maybe you require your feet to be angled outwards too. You may need pedals that provide some amount of float. If you need both lateral and angular float, try the Time ATAC pedals. They're MTB pedals but they should work pretty well for road cycling too.
Old 04-17-05, 08:35 PM
Chef23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Take your bike and shoes to your LBS and get a proper fit. Numb feet is mostly caused by cleat misalignment, and sometimes because shoes just don't fit properly.

You're searching for straws, but this is a good place to start, even if you don't think we're right.

Koffee
I did this and they suggested the Specialize in-soles (after a complete fitting and cleat adjustment) which didn't help. I need to get back and talk with them some more but I haven't had the time.
Old 04-17-05, 08:39 PM
dhfd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nashville Man
No matter how I arrange my seat height or level I can't seem to get rid of this issue. Is it the seat itself or are my measurements just off? I feel my toes going numb after about 10-12 miles into my ride. Any one else experience this? What did you do?
I logged on to post the same question! Went for a ride today, the weather was kinda cold, so at first attributed it to that, but after it warmed up, I was still having the numb toes. I'm using Shimano SH-RA80 shoes and Speedplay X5 pedals. I tried loosen the strap closest to my toes, but they still ended up numb. I don't remember if they felt better when I was out of the saddle.
Old 04-17-05, 09:15 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you ride too far forward on your feet's arches you could also get numbness in the calves and if you ride too far back on the toes you can get aching/cramping calves (like you just did 1000 calve raises) If your shoes are too large that says that you could have a probable missalignment with the metarscels not being over the pedal's axcel.- shoes should fit ... well like a glove.
Like carpal tunnel syndrome there is a night time problem that you could feel too. Does your feet feel numb at anytime after the rides? If this is the case it could be a flexability problem.The numbness also could be a fallen arches thing but that I think you checked with the specialized arch supports. Kind of wonder about the dorsiflection of your foot like there is too much heel drop in your pedal stroke like the seat is too low. Someone asked if it were just one side or both that is giving you the problem. Some group exercise instructors get what is know as plantarfacitis (tendonitis in the Plantar facia) which would result in cronic repetitive motion injury and is somewhat deabilitating. But I am not a doctor and a visit to one if this numbness keeps up after adjustments suggested from the above threads is probably the best thing to do.

Velocity
Old 04-17-05, 11:21 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
There are a couple of nerves that run between the 3rd and 4th toes (your big toe is #1) that can be pinched from improperly fitting shoes and cause numbness. Also look up Metatarsalgia - it is a problem with the metatarsals (ball of foot area) that can cause soreness and numbness. It can come on slowly and be caused by several things - even tight Achilles tendon can pull on the metatarsals, which happened to me. Generally there are ways to strengthen the foot and adjust fit to eliminate problems.
Old 04-18-05, 07:21 AM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try dropping your heel a bit throughout the pedal stroke. Worked for me.
Old 04-18-05, 07:54 AM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtnroads
There are a couple of nerves that run between the 3rd and 4th toes (your big toe is #1) that can be pinched from improperly fitting shoes and cause numbness. Also look up Metatarsalgia - it is a problem with the metatarsals (ball of foot area) that can cause soreness and numbness. It can come on slowly and be caused by several things - even tight Achilles tendon can pull on the metatarsals, which happened to me. Generally there are ways to strengthen the foot and adjust fit to eliminate problems.
What you're probably referring to is a neuroma. The 3rd interspace (between the 3rd and 4th toes) is a special area because the nerves from the lateral and medial foot (that split previously in the ankle area) are coming back together to communicate again. Due to their location below this ligament that helps to hold the ball of your foot together and a combination of pronating too much or riding with your heel down and other predisposing factors can help precipitate excess pulling or traction on this area of the nerves which over time can cause the cells that surround the nerve to become irritated and grow larger. If this happens you can get pain, numbness, tingling, clicking, etc..

mtnroads - You are correct re: metatarsalgia. In the medical literature a looong time ago it was described as such. Recently it is described as a neuroma but if you look at the pathophysiology and histology of the neuroma you might be inclined to call it something else like a schwannoma, etc..

Anyway..