Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of time in bike maintenance?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of time in bike maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-23, 11:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Good effing grief! If I were a bike shop owner and someone brought this in, I would refuse to work on it. This is akin to eating a sleeve of Oreos before a visit to the dentist.

FWIW, I use homebrew and none of my bikes are ever this filthy. This guy obviously doesn't believe in wiping down his chain after lubing it.
It’s a donated bike to a co-op that we refurb to give away. We do provide as close to showroom fresh as we can when it comes to bikes we give away. The difference between a commercial shop and a non-profit is that we can’t really refuse bikes. A fair number of HellMart bikes go straight to recycle but some, like this one, are worth the effort to clean up. A relatively significant amount of this bike went to recycling as well. The crank, for instance, went away. We have lots of other cranks.

This guy didn’t wipe his chain nor was he all that careful on how he used it. I’m reasonably certain he used a spray bottle to apply it. The front wheel looked just about as caked as the rear. Personally, I wouldn’t let an oil based lube within 10 feet of any bike I own.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-05-23, 11:31 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You stated that washing your hands was the biggest waste of time. Buy yourself a box of 100 gloves for $5 and eliminate the problem. If a glove rips, gets too dirty, or fills with sweat, replace it with another 5 cent glove.
A large part of the problem is that this isn’t my shop. It’s a co-op with 20 to 30 volunteers per week. A $5 box of gloves lasts about a week. I could bring in a box each week and it will be gone when I go back the next week. That means, to me, each pair of gloves is about $5. Asking the shop to buy gloves is a bit problematic as we are already squeezing every bit of snot out of Lincoln’s nose as it is.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-05-23, 11:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
A large part of the problem is that this isn’t my shop. It’s a co-op with 20 to 30 volunteers per week. A $5 box of gloves lasts about a week. I could bring in a box each week and it will be gone when I go back the next week. That means, to me, each pair of gloves is about $5. Asking the shop to buy gloves is a bit problematic as we are already squeezing every bit of snot out of Lincoln’s nose as it is.
Buy yourself a box of gloves. Put a few in your pocket when you go to work in the shop. It's not a difficult problem to solve ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-05-23, 11:38 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by genejockey
I've gotten to the point where I only need things done that require specialized tools, like headset and cartridge bottom bracket installations.
A headset press was one of the first specialized tools I ever bought. The only thing I need a commercial shop for now is if I need to face the frame. In 40+ years of working on bikes, I think I had that done once. I did buy a bottom bracket tap recently which was probably the next to the last thing I needed a commercial shop for…not that I needed threads to be chased that often either.

I sometimes loan my specialized tools to the co-op. If they don’t have a tool, I will often buy it. But, as I tell them, I don’t do it for them. I buy them tools that they don’t have because I need them and get tired of doing work arounds or loaning my tools to them.

Old 04-05-23, 11:45 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by terrymorse
That "deeply packed factory grease" is not some super awesome lube. It is:
  • intended to prevent rust formation before installation
  • wears away in the first several miles of use
Deep cleaning a chain will wash out the crud that acts as a grinding paste to cause wear. If you want to spend the time doing that, knock yourself out. Personally, I'd rather pay a little extra replacing chains more often.
The factory lubricant isn’t “grease”. It is a soft wax. It is not intended to prevent rust nor will it wear away in just a few miles. Nor is it as bad as oil at gathering grit and pumping it into the guts of the chain.

That said, I’m not a fan of it since it does tend to leave chain tattoos. I remove it on the initial install and use solvent wax lubricant. The whole drivetrain is cleaner over all. My drivetrains always look like this, even in the depth of winter. I can handle them without the need for gloves.

IMG_1155 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Old 04-05-23, 11:48 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Buy yourself a box of gloves. Put a few in your pocket when you go to work in the shop. It's not a difficult problem to solve ...
Yes, I know but I forget. It’s just one more thing I need to remember to carry with me to the shop. I don’t need them when I work on my own bike and don’t think about it until I’m working on a particularly nasty bike, thus the hand washing.

Old 04-05-23, 11:56 AM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Typical bike tire systems (tubular, tubeless, butyl tubes, latex tubes, sealant, etc.) do not hold air pressure indefinitely. I have 3 bikes that I ride regularly, and sometimes add a 4th to the mix, plus the bike that lives on my trainer. It's pretty common that whatever bike I'm riding that day hasn't been ridden in a week or more. Tire pressures pretty much always need to get topped off before every ride.

Relieved to see this. Riding 20 years, but still not an expert here. I've maintained a stable of road/Mtb/gravel bikes for me and the girlfriend for 20 years and have always pumped us both up pre-ride every time. I shudder to think of cumulative time waste if this was ruled "waste."
Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 04-05-23, 12:29 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4427 Post(s)
Liked 4,877 Times in 3,019 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Relieved to see this. Riding 20 years, but still not an expert here. I've maintained a stable of road/Mtb/gravel bikes for me and the girlfriend for 20 years and have always pumped us both up pre-ride every time. I shudder to think of cumulative time waste if this was ruled "waste."
Checking tyre pressures before a ride is never a waste of time. Especially if tubeless as they tend to lose a little air over a few days.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-05-23, 12:34 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The factory lubricant isn’t “grease”. It is a soft wax. It is not intended to prevent rust nor will it wear away in just a few miles. Nor is it as bad as oil at gathering grit and pumping it into the guts of the chain.
"The grease that comes on a Shimano chain is applied at the factory to the individual pieces before the chain is assembled." -- Nick Murdick, Shimano Tech "Guru"

"A new chain usually feels sticky at first. These are residues of the high-performance grease used during assembly. Remove this grease with a thin-bodied oil or cleaner (no aggressive grease solvents!), lightly oil the rollers and remove excess oil with a cloth." -- KMC Chain

"Ah, factory grease.... Honestly, it is like a zombie apocalypse that won't die.This is one of the worst bits of information on chain lubricants that is still too pervasive despite my and others' (like Josh Poertner, Jason Smith) efforts to correct it.

Factory grease is a) pretty slow, b) gathers contamination rapidly and thus quickly becomes much slower again and much higher wear, and c) most top lubricants do not mix at all with factory grease (or dispel them). Especially wax lubricants; that is trying to mix two completely incompatible products." -- VeloNews 2022

"Another thing as you know – the factory lubes have multiple roles to play. They need to keep the chain from oxidizing/rusting for (possibly) several years of shelf life.....We know the factory grease and oil on chains is like a magnet for contaminants. So, within a few rides, that grease/oil can become a grinding paste, actually decreasing the longevity" -- VeloNews 2022

Last edited by terrymorse; 04-05-23 at 12:43 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-05-23, 01:02 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Waxing your chain.
As soon as I saw this, I knew it was going to start another chain lube "religious feud" . . . .
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 04-05-23, 01:02 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Checking tyre pressures before a ride is never a waste of time. Especially if tubeless as they tend to lose a little air over a few days.
Another reason I don't do tubeless.
Old 04-05-23, 01:04 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by terrymorse
c) most top lubricants do not mix at all with factory grease (or dispel them). Especially wax lubricants; that is trying to mix two completely incompatible products." -- VeloNews 2022
One of many reasons I don't use wax lubricants.
Old 04-05-23, 01:05 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Yikes! Although I don't think it's the creation of that thread that got him perma-banned.
It wasn't - he was banned for a different reason exactly 5 months after the last comment on that thread.
Old 04-05-23, 02:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Another reason I don't do tubeless.
What kind of tire/tube combination holds air indefinitely?
Old 04-05-23, 03:15 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,808 Posts
For me, by far the biggest waste of time is waxing my chain.

I have to turn on the crock pot to melt it. That takes over 0.2 sec.

Then I have to put the chain in when it has melted. That also takes over That takes over 0.2 sec.

Then I have to stir it around for 10 seconds.

Finally, I have to pull it out, which again takes over 0.2 sec.

That is more than 10.6 seconds of my life I will never get back.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-05-23, 03:15 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
[QUOTE=Hondo6;22851159]As soon as I saw this, I knew it was going to start another chain lube "religious feud" . . . .[/QUOT

After that post I need to put on my asbestos suit and get ready to be flamed.
Likes For frogman:
Old 04-05-23, 03:31 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Eric F
What kind of tire/tube combination holds air indefinitely?
Indefinitely, nothing. But having to add air everyday is ridiculous. With butyl tubes, once a week is enough for road tires, every two weeks for gravel tires.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 04-05-23, 03:34 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,635 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Using fancy bike cleaning products and spending 3 hours to get the bike spotless clean and shiny.
Ha... That's a good one... Every body knows a clean bike is faster then a dirty one... Of course that's not so true with the riders...
Old 04-05-23, 03:36 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
For me, by far the biggest waste of time is waxing my chain.

I have to turn on the crock pot to melt it. That takes over 0.2 sec.

Then I have to put the chain in when it has melted. That also takes over That takes over 0.2 sec.

Then I have to stir it around for 10 seconds.

Finally, I have to pull it out, which again takes over 0.2 sec.

That is more than 10.6 seconds of my life I will never get back.
You're forgetting the time it takes to take the chain off the bike and out it back on the bike. And then do you dip the chain in the hot wax slurry without cleaning it or do you have a cleaning ritual as well? Also, I assume you strip the excess wax off the outside of the chain, otherwise that's just as messy as lubing a chain and not wiping the excess lube off the outside.
Old 04-05-23, 03:37 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by frogman
[
After that post I need to put on my asbestos suit and get ready to be flamed.
Nah, I just wear my Nomex underwear before entering.
Old 04-05-23, 03:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10445 Post(s)
Liked 11,929 Times in 6,105 Posts
Indefinitely, nothing. But having to add air everyday is ridiculous. With butyl tubes, once a week is enough for road tires, every two weeks for gravel tires.
So, don't use them. I don't. They make a measurable difference in rolling resistance, but the expense and the pressure loss problem mean they're not for me - I have 10 bikes and am a pothole and rock magnet. But for others, who care less about those issues, why not?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-05-23, 03:40 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by genejockey
So, don't use them. I don't. They make a measurable difference in rolling resistance, but the expense and the pressure loss problem mean they're not for me - I have 10 bikes and am a pothole and rock magnet. But for others, who care less about those issues, why not?
Right. Precisely why I said I don't do tubeless. I didn't say everybody else shouldn't do tubeless. What's your point?
Old 04-05-23, 03:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10445 Post(s)
Liked 11,929 Times in 6,105 Posts
Right. Precisely why I said I don't do tubeless. I didn't say everybody else shouldn't do tubeless. What's your point?
It just seems like complaining about something you yourself don't do is a bigger waste of time then pumping up your tires.

BTW, the 10 bikes is also why I don't do tubeless. Most of them would be impossible to convert, and IIRC tubeless tires and the sealant benefit from being ridden regularly.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-05-23, 04:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,808 Posts
You're forgetting the time it takes to take the chain off the bike and out it back on the bike. ​​
The quick link is ... quick.

​​​​​And then do you dip the chain in the hot wax slurry without cleaning it
​​​​​
Yup. It doesn't get dirty because ... wax.

​​​​​or do you have a cleaning ritual as well?
​​​​​

Liquid wax cleans it. That is the 10 second swirl step.

​​​​​Also, I assume you strip the excess wax off the outside of the chain
​​​​​,

No need.

​​​​​otherwise that's just as messy as lubing a chain and not wiping the excess lube off the outside.
It just flakes off. No need to do anything.

The only hassle is removing whatever they pack the chain in when it is new, but you (or at least I) would do that before any kind of lube.
Old 04-05-23, 04:07 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by Oakman
Looking for the small parts you know you have someplace.
Looking for the large tools you just had in your hand 10 seconds ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.