Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thinking of clipping in.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Thinking of clipping in.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-23, 08:07 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
There was some good info posted in my thread here
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...er-easier.html
Old 06-30-23, 08:10 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
They still sell them. I'm going to buy a pair when I'm in Canada this summer, because I love the idea of being able to ride clipped in in sandals for more relaxed rides.
I just bought a pair of Transit Regster SPD sandals from Performance Bicycle. Theyŕe pretty comfortable as cycling sandals. For $36 it was money well spent.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 06-30-23, 11:05 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
I was concerned about being able to clip out after knee surgery so I put flat/SPD pedals on a road bike. Turns out I could clip out just fine but the flats are perfect when riding with grandkids. You put your feet down a lot when riding with 5 year olds. Nice benefit to the flat side of the pedal.

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 07-01-23, 02:12 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
almost impossible to get a top/elite road shoe for flat pedals.
Seriously! And why is this?? A ton of the c&v crowd would love a rubber soled, slim athletic road shoe for clips/straps. Like an old-school touring shoe. There's really nothing mass produced that doesn't require a cleat. So wish Adidas or Onitsuka would offer something on this front.
Old 07-01-23, 04:24 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
For me, the studies about whether using foot retention increases efficiency or power miss the point. Those factors may be important to racers, but for me using foot retention is about allowing me to more easily spin circles, to more easily use different muscle groups on a ride and to more easily spin at higher cadences without losing a pedal.
Is spinning circles with flats possible? Is spinning a high cadence possible with flats? Yes, of course, but I'm not a pro, I don't cycle 10's of thousands of miles a year, I get tired and sloppy, I'm not the most coordinated person in the world
I like clipless pedals, they're far easier to use than clips and straps, and cycling is far more enjoyable for me using foot retention than not. Other people have different experiences, and that's fine. If the OP tries clipless and finds he/she doesn't like them, then at least they know.
(edit: oops, didn't realize that "s p a z z" is verboten)
Thank-you for putting this up, it perfectly shows the real reason for clipless pedals is misunderstood. Clipless pedals are not in reality a performance addition except for the top tenth of one-percent of riders who actually ride for money. For 99.9% of cyclists they are a crutch exactly like an E-bike, a device to help those who do not have the coordination or muscle memory or development, skill or practice to keep their feet on the pedals without a lot of help. These people could seriously hurt themselves riding flat pedals, so it is nice that they have this type of accessory to help them, just like E-bikes are there to help people without the fitness to go on long rides without the help of batteries and motors.
Old 07-01-23, 05:59 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
Clipless pedals (and other forms of foot retention) are a "crutch" for bike riders in the same sense that shoes are a crutch for walkers and runners (and bike riders). Walk or run or ride enough while barefoot, and you won't need shoes.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-01-23, 07:22 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8288 Post(s)
Liked 9,067 Times in 4,484 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Thank-you for putting this up, it perfectly shows the real reason for clipless pedals is misunderstood. Clipless pedals are not in reality a performance addition except for the top tenth of one-percent of riders who actually ride for money. For 99.9% of cyclists they are a crutch exactly like an E-bike, a device to help those who do not have the coordination or muscle memory or development, skill or practice to keep their feet on the pedals without a lot of help. These people could seriously hurt themselves riding flat pedals, so it is nice that they have this type of accessory to help them, just like E-bikes are there to help people without the fitness to go on long rides without the help of batteries and motors.
How do you come up with this stuff? This is pretty far out in left field, even for you.
Old 07-01-23, 07:26 AM
big john

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Seriously! And why is this?? A ton of the c&v crowd would love a rubber soled, slim athletic road shoe for clips/straps. Like an old-school touring shoe. There's really nothing mass produced that doesn't require a cleat. So wish Adidas or Onitsuka would offer something on this front.
Aften and Five Ten make nice shoes for flats. Even Vans still does, I think.

Likes For big john:
Old 07-01-23, 07:33 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Connman
Ok, then I believe I'll get some new shoes and clips on my pedals and give it a whirl.
This is the best way to know what you think and will tell you more than any advice given here.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-01-23, 07:43 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I've only ridden 25000+km in the last 2.5 years, pretty much all of that clipped in. Tell me again how I know nothing about how to keep my feet on flat pedals. 🤦‍♂️
Old 07-01-23, 07:53 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
How do you come up with this stuff? This is pretty far out in left field, even for you.
This is like asking the crazy guy on the corner how he comes up with his conspiracy theories, after he tells you aliens are invading the Earth disguised as avocados.
Old 07-01-23, 08:10 AM
big john

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
aliens are invading the Earth disguised as avocados.
What?? You mean they aren't?
Old 07-01-23, 08:26 AM
tomato coupe

What?? You mean they aren't?
No, that would be stupid on their part -- they'd be thrown on toast and devoured by Millennials before they could establish an operating base.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-01-23, 08:26 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,386 Times in 7,212 Posts
...these sort of come and go in the mountain bike shoe marketing demographic. The last time I found some, I bought two pair, but it was only a few years ago. They do have a provision for attaching some sort of clipless cleat, but they also come with a little rubber plate you can use to cover the hole in the sole that leaves. So they look pretty much like a rubber soled running shoe upper, with a stiffer cycling last that it's built around.

If you go on Amazon, and search Men's Mountain Bike Shoe, it more or less shows what's currently available.

Old 07-01-23, 08:34 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by t2p
almost impossible (or impossible ?) to get a top / elite road shoe for flat pedals
Seriously! And why is this?? A ton of the c&v crowd would love a rubber soled, slim athletic road shoe for clips/straps.
Why? Simple economics -- the C&V segment is small, and it tends to not spend money on new products as freely as other segments.
Old 07-01-23, 10:32 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Those aren't terrible looking. The others look too much like skate shoes -- bulky not slim enough.

The one 3alarmer posted isn't bad for a mtn bike shoe.

There are tons and tons of mtn bike and gravel shoes. There should be just a few shoes for the c&v folks without having to go to Serbia for them like I did recently with my 2Velo purchase:

Old 07-01-23, 10:58 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I haven't read this whole thread, but of toe clips + straps, toe clips + straps + cleats, SDP, and pinned flats, I like the pinned flats the best. The pins provide a lot of retention without forcing my foot and legs into one position with or without a little variation.

The Five Tens are very good, up to a point, if you use them on the road. For me, it's 30 miles, after which point the soles just aren't stiff enough for me. YMMV.

For shoes that look good and work as well on flat pedals as carbon-soled wonders do on clipless, one could buy the shoes one wants and have a shoemaker attach, say, a Vibram sole to your shoes of choice. The pins will grab the Vibram, and the shoes might even be stiffer on pinned flats than on 'clipless' pedals. One can even DIY attach the soles of one's choice to the shoes.

Last edited by philbob57; 07-01-23 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-01-23, 03:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,386 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Why? Simple economics -- the C&V segment is small, and it tends to not spend money on new products as freely as other segments.
...this is why all the call girl threads get started in General Cycling, and not in C+V.
Old 07-01-23, 03:09 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 873 Times in 491 Posts
So attitudes can change.

In probably 1994, at about the age of 15, I got my first pair of clipless pedals. I still remember them, Onza HO Ti. I got them with either paper route money or Burger King money. Either way, my parents weren't pleased.

What followed were decades of riding clipped in. MTB, Triathlon, Road Racing, Singlespeed messing around, and even a pedicab tricycle. If it pedalled, I damn well better be clipped to it.

Last year I bought a new mountain bike, a slack geometry long travel hardtail. Down-country, party hardtail, milf magnet. I don't care what you call it. It didn't seem right to ride it the way it was designed while clipped in so I bought some flat pedals for it and moved my whole family to the PNW, and left all my other shoes and pedals in storage in Colorado. After more than a year of giving the dirt more hell than I've given it since I was 18, I'm convinced. Off road on flats is the way to go. I've yet to even shred my legs, I think that's either a rumor or incompetence. I wouldn't switch back now.

I'm still clipped in on my gravel bike, trainer, and road bike. That's not going to change. The more uniform circles I can pedal decrease my fatigue and increase my ride satisfaction. They probably don't speed me up.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 07-01-23, 03:10 PM
big john

Those aren't terrible looking. The others look too much like skate shoes -- bulky not slim enough.

The one 3alarmer posted isn't bad for a mtn bike shoe.

There are tons and tons of mtn bike and gravel shoes. There should be just a few shoes for the c&v folks without having to go to Serbia for them like I did recently with my 2Velo purchase:

What kind of soles do those have?
Likes For big john:
Old 07-01-23, 05:17 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

What kind of soles do those have?

https://2velo.com/product/cycling-shoes-black-strpes/
Old 07-01-23, 05:40 PM
big john

Wow!
Old 07-01-23, 05:49 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 450 Posts

Left to right:
'5' brand (Adidas) stealth clipless shoes (says so right on 'em!)
'Speed' brand Chinese road shoes from eBay
Matt Berger Ethnies skating shoes, for toe-clips w/o cleats (not particularly stiff-soled, though)
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 07-01-23, 05:52 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Pictures of the Lem’s Primal Zen I mentioned in this thread:

If you want shoes that are foot-shaped, rather than feet that are shoe-shaped, these may be of interest. They also come in suede, each in several colors or the Chillum would be similar style but with mostly canvas uppers.

Otto
Old 07-01-23, 06:26 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Clipless pedals (and other forms of foot retention) are a "crutch" for bike riders in the same sense that shoes are a crutch for walkers and runners (and bike riders). Walk or run or ride enough while barefoot, and you won't need shoes.
The earlier suggestion that clipless pedals represent a "crutch," suitable only for saving inexpert riders from their own ineptitude, rang a faint bell. Finally I remembered. Excelsior!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.