Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

If you will lie about something small.... A Salsa Story

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

If you will lie about something small.... A Salsa Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-23, 02:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
I also have gotten bikes in the mail ... mostly as completely unrelated shipments, but also a lot of bikes in a box, from two manufacturers as I recall. (I have also been in bike shops watching unboxing ... for what it is worth.)

As I recall the wheels were not installed, the seats were separate, the bars were not installed but were hanging by the cables ... though I think I have seen a bike with the bars turned sideways to minimize width. The pedals were not installed.

A boxed bike with bars installed is about two feet wide, and with bars off or sideways, less than half that. Take the wheels off and lay them next to the frame, and within that approximately one-foot width, you can fit the bike in a box not much taller than the height from the bottom bracket to the top of the head tube. Angle the frame in the box and the box can be even smaller.

Considering that most delivery services charge more for oversized boxes (fewer will fit on the truck, which means more runs in the truck and runs in the truck are really expensive) it makes sense that some engineer at the factory would work out the most space-efficient way to package the bike ... and since the website says "Some assembly required" (though I don't know if there is a warning on dealer-specific sites) the buyer has been warned.

Anyone who cannot tell the difference between a bike and a bread machine should regale us with stories of his or her bread-machine rides.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-27-23, 02:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

Anyone who cannot tell the difference between a bike and a toaster oven should regale us with stories of his or her toaster-oven rides.
I can tell the difference between my bikes and a toaster oven. The bikes are hotter.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-27-23, 02:45 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
As an aside it boggles me why bicycles alone are like this. Yeah if you build a bike in a box from Canyon or whoever, you may find a few things you might have done differently or better. But it never occured to me to do the same with, say, a bread machine or a DVD player.

I built 3 kid mountain bikes at Christmas this year and the one from Diamondback was the best assembled and packaged. By a mile
Originally Posted by phughes
Bikes aren't alone in this. Motorcycles are shipped in a crate. It has to be removed from the crate, then set up, various parts installed then checked over, the battery installed, fluids added or checked, just like a bicycle. Cars need to be checked over after being shipped to a dealer. Lamps bought from Home Depot need to be assembled. Lawn mowers come in a box and need some assembly. Gas grills need some assembly. The list is endless.
Add musical instruments to the list, especially string ones which should be adjusted and "set up" by a luthier. Radio control vehicles, even if labeled "RTR". Skis/snowboards. Yep, it goes on and on.
Old 07-27-23, 02:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
In before the edit .... but appreciated.
Old 07-27-23, 04:02 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Maelochs

Anyone who cannot tell the difference between a bike and a bread machine should regale us with stories of his or her bread-machine rides.
My bread machine has Look pedals. My bikes have Shimano pedals.
Old 07-27-23, 04:05 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
My bread machine has Look pedals. My bikes have Shimano pedals.
My bread machine is powered with electricity. No pedals required.
Old 07-27-23, 04:17 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
They "accidentally" sent me an email today about some new bike they are launching. Not if it was free.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Old 07-27-23, 04:20 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
They "accidentally" sent me an email today about some new bike they are launching. Not if it was free.
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Every company wishes they could fire certain customers
Win-win!!
Old 07-27-23, 04:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Are you under the impression that someone at Salsa made a conscious decision to send a promotional email specifically to you, and are aware that you are a disgruntled customer?
Old 07-27-23, 05:26 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Are you under the impression that someone at Salsa made a conscious decision to send a promotional email specifically to you, and are aware that you are a disgruntled customer?
I have considered the possibility. I figured it it was truly in error the rest of you Salsa Simps would have also gotten it, which apparently you have not and , therefore, I AM indeed as special as my mother has always told me the I was.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP

Last edited by mr,grumpy; 07-27-23 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-27-23, 05:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I have considered the possibility. I figured it it was truly in error the rest of you Salsa Simps would have also gotten it, which apparently you advent and , therefore, I AM indeed as special as my mother has alas told me the I was.
The most likely reason is that you're on Salsa's mass email list because you're a customer. Marketing emails for new products tend to get "send to all" treatment, without thought about who on the list is naughty or nice. Since I'm not a customer, I don't get emails from Salsa.

In the case of your issue, it makes zero difference which brand the bike is. This has been covered - repeatedly - by people who have personal experience with such matters.
Old 07-27-23, 06:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,924 Times in 6,105 Posts
Say what you will, this guy really commits to the bit.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-27-23, 06:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 4,007 Times in 2,675 Posts
So if you believe that every bike from a factory should be perfect you would be sorely mistaken. Should they have properly torqued everything, probably yes. Do they, certainly not. I am not saying your shop is a bad shop I have worked in shops for over a decade now and every person who I have worked with is a human being and they can make mistakes or do the same thing you did which was believe that is was set up from the factory. In reality you should check over the entire bike, not everyone does it and sometimes problems come up after longer rides but you should always have a bike fully checked over because they are trying to get a large volume of bikes in boxes to get to their distributors so they can get them to your local dealers. They aren't generally going through the bikes with a fine tooth comb they are trying to stick to time frames which aren't realistic for proper careful assembly and tuning.

Salsa didn't do anything wrong and your local shop didn't really do anything so wrong but in the end it is on that shop to go through the bike throughly and deal with this problems.

In terms of paint and cable rub I have seen the clear stickers come with the box most of the time if it comes with them but in some cases not and in a few cases I could swear they came on the bike from factory but isn't super common. In the end he was very much right it is up to you to figure out what you want to do. I personally hate those stickers and the wear does suck but the stickers especially on a gravel or mountain bike or similar bike that will get dirty those stickers look bad after a time. I prefer some shrink-wrap on the housings or those little rubber baby buggy bumpers that Jagwaire and others have or something similar or just get titanium and don't worry about it...LOL.

I cannot speak to Salsa as my Salsa was a frame but it has been a great bike like my Foundry and my old Surly which I believe is now in South or Central America living its third life. QBP generally does pretty well but like any bike company aside from most custom builders who are spending a lot of time on your bike because it is for you, there are always going to be issues with complete bikes. It happens and it just needs to be gone over before it goes to you and that shop who builds it is last in the line of defense. They may not have thought to check those bolts but they should have checked them.

If the bike is rideable now, go out and ride and enjoy it, don't worry so much.

Someone earlier mentioned working in some sort of service job and that is super true. Having dealt with customers some like you and some way worse I can better deal with situations where I am less than happy sometimes rationally and maybe sometimes not. Things will always happen, humans and humans and we ALL make mistakes and we all have the same emotions and feelings and lives beyond the work we do and we have to always realize that when dealing with others. There are times when yeah sometimes you need to escalate a little, like I said we are all humans and sometimes we humans can be buttholes but most of the time it is a little patience and understanding and you will be in better shape.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-27-23, 06:52 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Eric F
My bread machine is powered with electricity. No pedals required.
Lazy kids today. When I was a wee-un we churned ice cream by hand.

Do you work for Salsa in the brake lever department?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-27-23, 06:58 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Every person should work some sort of service job in the mental health field for at least one year. It would make them more understanding.
ftfy
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-27-23, 08:34 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 491 Posts
Bike shops actually suck. I recently had them do a Campy Ekar build for me only because I was low on time and didn’t want to mess with the hydraulic brakes.

So the service was a brake setup and bleed, lever installation, derailleur installation, and handlebar wrap.

Literally the only thing they got right was the brakes (so far). The levers were loose, the bars were wrapped to where I could see exposed clamp, and the cable housing was so long I had to redo it. So after all that, I ended up redoing everything but the brakes. And this is from a very high end shop on a grail type of build.

So I’m sure on middle of the road model, they barely looked at yours.

What I can’t understand is why you think it’s not the shops fault?
Old 07-27-23, 09:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Bike shops actually suck. I recently had them do a Campy Ekar build for me only because I was low on time and didn’t want to mess with the hydraulic brakes.

So the service was a brake setup and bleed, lever installation, derailleur installation, and handlebar wrap.

Literally the only thing they got right was the brakes (so far). The levers were loose, the bars were wrapped to where I could see exposed clamp, and the cable housing was so long I had to redo it. So after all that, I ended up redoing everything but the brakes. And this is from a very high end shop on a grail type of build.

But that is a silly conclusion. One shop and people are like bike shops suck. There are some people who work at them who aren't great and some shops that could use improvement but saying they all suck is silly.

Also I don't know the shop and their side of it but I do know I haven't had a chance to play with Ekar yet but would love to. However yeah if what happened happened that does suck but could be that mechanic or other factors but there are many other shops on this big blue green marble we call Earth.
Old 07-27-23, 09:43 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
But that is a silly conclusion. One shop and people are like bike shops suck. There are some people who work at them who aren't great and some shops that could use improvement but saying they all suck is silly.

Also I don't know the shop and their side of it but I do know I haven't had a chance to play with Ekar yet but would love to. However yeah if what happened happened that does suck but could be that mechanic or other factors but there are many other shops on this big blue green marble we call Earth.

Just a single example. I just pointed that out because it seems like the sort of thing they’d really want to get right. They told me that they’d done lots of Ekar setups.

They did end up crediting me the price of a few of the services. It left such a foul taste in my mouth that I wish I’d just done it and let them bleed the brakes.

There was also the time I got a new fuel pump and the first time I got gas after picking it up, I dumped gas all over the ground. They hadn’t reconnected the line from the fuel tank to the gas cap.
Old 07-27-23, 09:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Just a single example. I just pointed that out because it seems like the sort of thing they’d really want to get right. They told me that they’d done lots of Ekar setups.

They did end up crediting me the price of a few of the services. It left such a foul taste in my mouth that I wish I’d just done it and let them bleed the brakes.

There was also the time I got a new fuel pump and the first time I got gas after picking it up, I dumped gas all over the ground. They hadn’t reconnected the line from the fuel tank to the gas cap.
That was the point it was a single example yet you started your post with bike shops suck. I mean most customers can always find faults because we are humans and good at that and we like people to cater to us and in any retail environment that deals with a lot of different people that cannot always happen because everyone is so vastly different you have to get a median and there will be unhappy folks and that is normal for various reasons some good and some not so good.

Granted yes saying you have done a bunch of Ekar builds and not doing a good job is not a good way to go but then that would be on that one specific shop.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-27-23, 10:33 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Anybody need anything while I'm up?

Likes For phughes:
Old 07-27-23, 10:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Do you think that your experience is universal for everyone at every LBS?
Old 07-27-23, 10:48 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I could see the comparison if your bread machine or DVD player was 3' x 4' x 2'. Are you running a commercial bakery? I bet someone has to put together Krispy Kreme's doughnut makers in a new store. UPS can have one person handle a home bread maker box, and shipping charges are therefore reasonable. A fully built (adult) bike box takes a couple people to wrestle it, which drives up costs
Usually just one guy handling the bike box, even for eBikes.

You usually don't get a fully assembled bike, gotta do some work with bars/stems/front wheel/saddle/seatpost.

We'd only ship fully assembled bikes from the sales floor once in a blue moon (and they still needed seatpost install, bar angle adjustment and front wheel re-install, of course), and occasionally we'd ship fully built to a customer also.

Some guys called them pie boxes, I always thought of them as slices of cheese. Even these can be handled by one man, but a little more awkward than the standard rectangular-section box. For MTBs we always put them in rectangular section boxes since the bars needed removal anyway.

Old 07-28-23, 03:52 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts

Some Clase Azul Plata Tequila if you please.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 07-28-23, 09:58 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts

A big red marker to correct the run on sentences... for some reason that just irks me today!
Old 07-28-23, 11:13 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
A big red marker to correct the run on sentences... for some reason that just irks me today!

Likes For phughes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.