Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Non club and casual riders, speak up

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Non club and casual riders, speak up

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-23, 06:30 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Wow! That is a big drop. Not many youngsters either. What happened to the 25-34 year olds?
I think that’s my typo. Should be 20-34.

Old 12-06-23, 06:43 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I don't know your age or personal history, but at 74 I really enjoy night riding when the streets are almost deserted and the wild life is out foraging. I ride solo with some good lights and I think it's 'FUN;
I got into night off road riding in the early 90’s - late fall through early spring

( at the time there were basically two good light systems : Nightsun and then Niterider … with NiCad batteries that were actually fairly advanced at the time )

we typically rode two times per week - one night at the same location and most times rotated to a different location on the other night

when there was snow on the ground many then rode some of the parking garages in the urban areas but I did not join them

night off road riding is still one of the most fun things I’ve done - motorcycle and snowmobile riding included

enjoyed it so much it sparked the interest of some of the older members of our small road road riding group - guys in their late 60’s to early / mid 70’s - so they got lights to do night rides on some of the area paved bike paths and adjacent roads

they enjoyed it immensely - and I joined them a number of times

just recently got out the bike I used for a good part of that night riding - it was buried / shoehorned in the garage for 20+ years untouched … still has the lights installed and a set of 26 x 1 Specialized Turbos installed I tried for a short period before it was retired … hope to have it in better shape next year and put some miles on it

Last edited by t2p; 12-06-23 at 07:06 PM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-06-23, 07:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8285 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

just recently got out the bike I used for a good part of that night riding - it was buried / shoehorned in the garage for 20+ years untouched … still has the lights installed and a set of 26 x 1 Specialized Turbos installed I tried for a short period before it was retired … hope to have it in better shape next year and put some miles on it
Does that fork still have the elastomers? I had an old Manitou years ago and I put springs and a damper kit in it. Don't know if any of that stuff is still available.

I did a bit of night riding in the 90s. A local bike store had a bunch of beater mountain bikes and he would set up rides. One ride we did would take fire roads over the hills to a pizza place with outside seating. The bike shop guy would have a motorhome with trailer parked near there and after pizza (and beer for some) we would get a ride back to the start. So much fun.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-06-23, 07:43 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by L134
Does use of Strava preclude one from being a "casual rider"? (Not a serious question). I like Strava for the heatmaps. I used to highlight AAA maps on all the roads I'd ridden. I kept losing them though. I've even recreated tours of old in Strava to get them on my heatmap. I also like it for tracking mileage but all the other stuff is fun too, for me.
Probably. Good question.
Old 12-07-23, 09:06 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
So I wonder why there are so few in this age group?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-07-23, 09:30 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by big john
Does that fork still have the elastomers? I had an old Manitou years ago and I put springs and a damper kit in it. Don't know if any of that stuff is still available.

the elastomers ‘melted’ and then hardened in the bottom of the fork legs … have another similar fork that is same condition … might look into a spring / damper conversion if I can find one - but probably going to replace the fork with the original OEM rigid fork

our old Mag 21 and Judy forks do appear to be in much better condition than that Manitou fork … relatively speaking (?)

the Manitou 2 fork on the Schwinn Paramount in the picture is the first suspension fork I had - traded a set of studded off road motorcycle tires (Trelleborg)
Old 12-07-23, 09:39 AM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
On the topic of this thread: I always enjoyed bicycling with my family members at a leisurely pace to accommodate our children’s pace. For longer sessions of bicycling, I prefer to do it alone. In my younger days (at the approximate age 15-25), it was fun to go with close friends and push ourselves. But beyond that age, I didn’t really care about going in groups and having to deal with a few control freaks - in my limited experience, there were always a few or at least one in every group.

Setting my own pace and stopping or not stopping anywhere on a given day became increasingly important and enjoyable over the years and it remains so today.
Old 12-07-23, 09:41 AM
t2p

Originally Posted by big john
I did a bit of night riding in the 90s. A local bike store had a bunch of beater mountain bikes and he would set up rides. One ride we did would take fire roads over the hills to a pizza place with outside seating. The bike shop guy would have a motorhome with trailer parked near there and after pizza (and beer for some) we would get a ride back to the start. So much fun.
does sound like fun

our rides were a blast - and often we would hit a local bar / restaurant after the ride

maintenance on the bikes was not a blast however … went through a set of rims in little over a season … chains, chainings, cassettes did not last long … mud was so thick in some spots you could dismount and bike would remain upright

a new group formed at that time that I was a member of : PORC - Pittsburgh Off Road Cyclists … great bunch … one member was Maurice Tierney (Dirt Rag magazine)

initially we were forced off the trails at night in one local park by the park and county police - but later were permitted to ride after subsequent meetings with the authorities

today that trail network is expanded and sees a good amount of use … two thumbs up

Last edited by t2p; 12-07-23 at 09:46 AM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-07-23, 10:10 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So I wonder why there are so few in this age group?
Just a guess here: In the 20-34 group, you're only going to get dedicated cyclists (racers and some who are in training for, well, whatever). Why spend money on cycling GPS and Strava subscriptions when you want to pay rent, save for a house, spend time with children or significant other? Be honest: how many people are going to post a Strava ride with your 6-12 year old kids? Do you want to be KOM or Tortoise of the Mountain (TOM)?

As children leave home, more people have time for things like bikes and associated toys. Even if you're not going for a Cat 4 crit next spring, you may have some spare cash and spare time you can invest in coaching and serious training. May as well post those.

By the time grandchildren come, for most riders it's back to KOM or TOM rides. Many people become more frightened riding on roads with motorized vehicles, or decide the P.T. and/or knee or hip replacements aren't worth riding off-road.

TBH, most of my posted Strava rides are to tilt the heat-maps so local planners will see, hey, somebody's riding these roads a lot. Maybe that'll tilt road maintenance, plans for shoulders, etc. just a bit to make my riding more comfortable.
Old 12-07-23, 10:39 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
My Mt. Hamilton participants by Age Group 2023 graph was missing the 25-34 age group.

It has been corrected, above.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-08-23, 02:41 PM
PeteHski

My Mt. Hamilton participants by Age Group 2023 graph was missing the 25-34 age group.

It has been corrected, above.
Ah, thst makes a bit more sense now. I would say we have a similar age spread at UK sportive events. There are always a lot of MAMILs around!
Old 12-11-23, 03:39 PM
Mike_Z

Bikes: Bianchi Sport SS, Bianchi Tangent, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn Super Le Tour, Schwinn Le Tour, IRO Fixie, Schwinn beach cruisers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
I'm 59, and about 6 months into getting back into riding, and really only serious about it the past three of those months. I do mostly road rides with a little gravel, and do it all on vintage bikes. I'm not opposed to club or group rides, but I think I have a lot of fitness to build before I'm up to it. Most of my friends who are into riding are pretty advanced and are on modern road and MTBs.
Likes For Mike_Z:
Old 12-12-23, 04:41 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
Cool bike.

Keep the fork.

Last edited by jlaw; 12-12-23 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-15-23, 01:50 PM
AirPhantomPhoto

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I belong to a local club. For about 15 years actually. But, I ride with the only a couple times a year. I feel safer without the "recreational" riders who came late to the sport and don't know how to ride safely in a group. And, riding solo allows me to ride at my pace. I like it this way.

Hmm, as a new member here, & the fact I'd be considered a "recreational" rider, I'd call this snark. But then again text is wierd with conveying sarcasm & feelings so maybe this poster didnt mean it to sound the nasty way it did?

Now thats out of the way, I havent rode a bike since I was stationed in Germany in 1991, but my sis in law decided I needed a bike for my 57th bday. And BTW I'm an Athena, not that should matter in this discussion.
But since I havent ridden in so long I'm still getting used to riding again so theres no way I would ride with the local club that seems only interested in speed trial type of rides if I understand their website correctly. Heck, we only have 2 bike shops downstate, one in Dover thats out of business & maybe 1 upstate. Even the local womens ride that meets at the shop I got my bike from, the lady who sets it up admitted to me the women are a bunch of speed bikers too. (facepalm)

So, I ride the local rail trail alone, the backroads alone so I dont hold up traffic, & looking into (now summer touron season is over) riding in the local state parks. Just need to avoid Gordons pond with the Sec.Serv when a certain <coughcough> is in town. I can ride when I want & feel up to it, stop & take pics when I want, puke up my guts without worrying splattering others (LOL), etc.
Likes For AirPhantomPhoto:
Old 12-15-23, 02:33 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by AirPhantomPhoto
Hmm, as a new member here, & the fact I'd be considered a "recreational" rider, I'd call this snark. But then again text is wierd with conveying sarcasm & feelings so maybe this poster didnt mean it to sound the nasty way it did?
I should have been more specific. We are all recreational riders. The problem I have is with the riders who are ignorant but do not seek out assistance in understanding how to handle their bikes and/or ride in a group. As a motorcyclist before I got into cycling I learned how to take the "racer's line" and "flatten a corner." If you approach a corner with the typical newbie on your wheel the chances are they will see you go wide at the set up and dive under you. Needless to say this can be a disaster when you then try to hit the apex of the curve. They are not trying to hurt anyone they just don't know. And, they don't know that they don't know. In a small group you can address the issue fairly easily but in a large group (I'm thinking a dozen riders) it's not easy. When I ride with my ex-racer friends I am always asking them to point out my flaws or make suggestions. Most new riders in my club.....not so much.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 12-15-23, 09:17 PM
AirPhantomPhoto

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
See Bruce, this is what I meant by you maybe not meaning that comment to come across the way it did to me.
My aunt & uncle used to ride big arsed touring harleys (I guess thats the best description of them, being a kid I didnt pay much attention) & they taught my brother & I to do things like you mentioned. Would I still remember that today? Probably not. Would I ask the speed racers club that? Nope Why? Because nowadays I get nervous in bigger groups/crowds anyways so I try to avoid riding in packs.

I get that BF is "rec" riders I know its not a pro forum, & I've also been lurking for awhile now here. Wanting to post some stuff made me realize I should join & your comment got me too

Thank you for responding, folks no matter the mode of transportation or not gonna do folks things. --> “People are complicated. Kimchi is easy.”
Old 12-21-23, 08:42 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I have been a member of clubs that have regularly scheduled and very casual rides. Most of my riding these days is solo but I don’t do anything casually — including my posting on BF.
Old 12-24-23, 03:49 PM
pelirary

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
75 year old here. I ride 100% solo. Rode once a week with a club for many years in my fifties but had to take a year off of riding and never went back. Now I look at their site for rides to see if I want to join again and see that their rides are longer than my usual rides. I ride between 18 and 25 each outing and most of the club rides are in the 30 to 40 mile distance. Maybe next summer when I am 76. LOL
Likes For pelirary:
Old 12-24-23, 04:06 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
There are a lot of club riders, who thoroughly enjoy that activity, on this forum. I know that there are those who enjoy riding more solo, or casual cycling, who don't say much in this forum. How about speaking up and telling us your experiences and what you enjoy and why? I bet at least half of this sub forum meets this definition. Thanks so much.
I worked retail most of my live from 15-55 with a few breaks. Dealing with the general public on a daily basis, for me, requires some "Me" time without conversation. As H.D. Thoreau wrote: "I've never met a companion so companionable as solitude". That said, I have enjoyed a handful of A++ cycling companions over the years in my 20s and 30s. They all got families, fat, and tired. So this just left me and my thoughts.

My mother used to tell people that I was the child most comfortable with himself she had ever come across. I agree. No second opinions, politics, compromises. Heaven.

One last note. I am a fairly strong cyclist. Not strong enough to keep up with the fastest groups, yet faster that the "B" groups. So on group rides I was alone anyway.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 12-27-23 at 10:53 PM.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 12-31-23, 10:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Also a big drop in participants when going from the Strava 55-64 group to the 65-69 group, even considering the age span is 5 years vs. 10.

EDIT: There's an error in the above graph. The 25-34 age group is missing.

Here is a corrected and updated graph for 2023 to date:

I find the drop from 64 to 65 rather shocking but that is also on a hill climb. There could be a number of reasons, like sarcopenia - or just people choosing to age-out of cycling. When I am cycling mid-day, I see a few men, and very few women, in the 45-70s. On the weekend, their numbers are reduced (grand kids?) or are drowned out my the 44 and under. On Strava, I follow a number of mid40 YOs and one said that they hoped they could be as proficient as me (I consider myself dedicated but mediocre).

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-01-24, 12:27 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
I've always thought that introverts (and only children) are overrepresented in the riding community, as it does not require teammates like most of the major ball sports.
Not sure if we're over-represented, but cycling does suit being an introvert, or just prefer reliance on 'self' as do many other activities which are also 'singular'. Cycling is one of those activities for which you are 'singular', even in a group.
Not a dig, but some of the difficult aspects of team sports/activities is that not everyone may not be on the same 'page' when it comes to objective, method or commitment, which can create frustration and contention. A hard thing to find a balance for both the 'group' as well as the individual in the group.
As with most all things, introvert/extrovert is rarely an on/off switch (binary). Most of us are our own unique mix of intro/extro-vert... Or so it seems to me...
With that
I ride a lot solo, but I do really like group rides as well. They challenge to not always be in my own little bubble. To adapt and adjust with the flow of the group...
like swimming (as a fish) in a school of fish, or being a starling swirling and wheeling in a murmuration... Riding in a large peloton is an amazing thing.
'Casual' can be taken a number of ways. There's 'casual' as referring to no obvious goals or destinations or method - yet that same 'casual' ride might be 'dedicated' to riding whenever possible.
Then there's 'casual' as a reference for someone without a strong drawing to cycle - take it or leave it - do it whenever...
The 'Technical' side to cycling, the 'numbers' side is much easier to post a thought, opinion or 'My How To' /method. So these types of threads/post would seem dominant true in many other activities. Posting more esoteric threads about the feeling/emotional/psychological side of cycling/riding the bike, becomes much harder to generate some common ground as a basis of discussion.
It's always great when a newer BF member becomes drawn into more involvement.
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 01-01-24 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-06-24, 10:13 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The aging boomer:
group rides = pacing.
group rides = planned stops.
group rides = start times.

Do I need to elaborate?
Old 01-06-24, 11:11 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
71 years old.

I used to ride solo a lot, occasionally with other people on weekends.
For the last 4 or 5 years the "other people" have coalesced to a group of four. We usually ride at least once on weekends during the favorable seasons, and hike during the cold months.
Next May we are going to Croatia for a bike tour with VBT.

I used to do 2 or 3 organized centuries each year, have not done so for the past 3 years due to my knee (TKR 2022 after failing arthroscopy); hope to get back to that next year.

I find that I don't enjoy solo rides as much as I used to, and they are less frequent.

I have never felt unwelcome on this forum, although my participation is intermittent.
you might want to consider earbuds or bone conductive devices which will allow you to listen to podcasts or music. I ride solo and listen to music and educational features.

Old 01-06-24, 02:18 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
you might want to consider earbuds or bone conductive devices which will allow you to listen to podcasts or music. I ride solo and listen to music and educational features.
My kids went together and got me Shokz bone conduction phones for Christmas. I much prefer them over either earbuds or headphones for running, cycling, other exercise or casual listening at home or in the car. They stay on better than earbuds and are more comfortable for all activities than either alternative.

It also makes such a difference to be able to hear ambient sounds and voices clearly. Obviously they won’t replace professional headphones for audio production purposes, but other than that, they are the thing.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 01-15-24, 08:49 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by ofajen
My kids went together and got me Shokz bone conduction phones for Christmas. I much prefer them over either earbuds or headphones for running, cycling, other exercise or casual listening at home or in the car. They stay on better than earbuds and are more comfortable for all activities than either alternative.

It also makes such a difference to be able to hear ambient sounds and voices clearly. Obviously they won’t replace professional headphones for audio production purposes, but other than that, they are the thing.

Otto
It’s also worth noting that some of the modern noise cancelling ear buds have a “transparency” mode that actually enhances ambient noises and voices, so that you can hear them clearly over the music. I don’t ride in them, but I use them on my indoor trainer and I can easily hear things like the doorbell while playing Metallica!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.