Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which compact carbon crank?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 02:10 PM
Kelly.Fisher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide between two compact carbon cranks, replacing my too-short 170mm Ultegra 6600 crank with a 175mm compact. The candidates are either the FSA Carbon (K-Force or SLK) or the Truvative Rouleur Carbon. I can't find much info on the Truvative cranks, and the reviews on the FSA cranks are hit/miss. I do dig the polished spider/carbon arms on the Truvative, so cosmetically the Rouleur wins.

Anyway, I was just hoping some people could give me input on either of these cranks. Additionally if there were better options out there that were within reason ( < $350) price wise, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-06, 02:30 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Huge weight difference between the FSA and the Truvativ.
SLKs have been more reliable.

Old 06-08-06, 02:59 PM
Kelly.Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
Huge weight difference between the FSA and the Truvativ.
SLKs have been more reliable.

Really? The FSA site specs the SLK compact as being 840g w/ BB, and the Truvative site states the Rouleur Carbon Giga-X pipe (minus BB) is 794g, and the BB can't weigh all that much. The K-Force, however, is rated at 780g w/ BB, so that is a significant difference.

What, specifically, has been occuring with the Truvative cranks? I've seen quite a few posts from people with SLK's that can't keep the fixing bolt tight longer than a ride or two, so if the Truvatives have even more problems than that, then I definately want to steer clear of them.
Old 06-08-06, 03:03 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stronglight Pulsion.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 06-08-06, 04:16 PM
irablumberg

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are replacing a current model Ultegra, with the outboard BB, think about the Shimano R700. I believe that it is not much heavier than the carbon cranks, it would use your current BB, and you can get it for about $200 on ebay. Plus, it shifts really well with standard Shimano gear including your front der.

Ira
Old 06-08-06, 05:13 PM
racingpain
Ameture Racing Cyclist

Bikes: Trek 1000 road bike and Trek 820 Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude I just bought a Bontrager Compact on sale from our LBS for $150.00 it was supposed to origionally be $200.00 it is the crank of the Trek Equinox 9. It is a really nice compact double. I have been shifting a lot smoother since I got it. If I were you I would look at the high end Bontrager cranks, and you may even be able to snag yourself a deal.
Old 06-08-06, 07:14 PM
iansir

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ive had problems with stripped the self extraing crank bolt on a Truvativ Rouleur. Getting replacement parts specific for them isnt easy, and it requires tools that lbs's dont have (5/8" allen key). Avoid if possible, I won't be buying Truvativ again.
Old 06-08-06, 07:59 PM
dgaddes

Bikes: Trek '01 2200 (sold), '04 5 500 (sold), 2013 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irablumberg
If you are replacing a current model Ultegra, with the outboard BB, think about the Shimano R700. I believe that it is not much heavier than the carbon cranks, it would use your current BB, and you can get it for about $200 on ebay. Plus, it shifts really well with standard Shimano gear including your front der.

Ira
Big +1 on the R700.
Old 06-08-06, 10:15 PM
Raketmensch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgaddes
Big +1 on the R700.
And a +++1 on top of that. I've tried both Bontrager/Truvativ and FSA, and the R700 is the best I've found. Reasonably light, ultra-crisp shifting, and better-feeling power transfer than anything carbon. I'm a huge carbon fan for most parts of a bike... frame, fork, bars, seatpost, even the stem if you like. Hell, I've even got carbon bottle cages, God help me. But not the cranks. For me, the R700 was the final piece of the puzzle in coming up with that "perfect" ride.
Old 06-08-06, 10:40 PM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How about a nice Campy Record?
Old 06-08-06, 11:35 PM
legstwelve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like my k-force compact. It is stiff it rides well and it even looks good. Team CSC ride the non-compact version so you know you are getting a reliable quality product. Can be had for $300 US on ebay.
Old 06-08-06, 11:55 PM
CycleFreakLS

Bikes: Litespeed, Medici, Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my FSA SLKs ...
Old 06-09-06, 04:33 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bontrager cranks have worked for me. No problems and with the Dura-Ace 10 speed set up it shifts flawless and it is durable and very eye appealings.
Old 06-09-06, 05:19 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irablumberg

Ira
+1

I have the R700 and it was a "no brainer" to install myself--slips right in once you slide out the Ultegra crank.

Just don't forget that you'll have to drop the FD a little and maybe pull a couple links off of your chain--but you have to do this anyway no matter what compact crank you went with. Not having to fuss with the BB made it a very easy transition.
Old 06-09-06, 05:25 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by legstwelve
i like my k-force compact. It is stiff it rides well and it even looks good. Team CSC ride the non-compact version so you know you are getting a reliable quality product. Can be had for $300 US on ebay.
Actually, it seems they ride the compact:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/fsa/2006/2006.php

A particularly interesting product from FSA to be launched for 2006 is the K-Force MegaExo Compact chainset. CSC's Ivan Basso used an FSA SLK Compact chainset with 50X36 chainring combination in last season's Giro d'Italia and Tour De France, riding to stage wins in the Giro and a superb runner-up spot behind seven time Tour winner Lance Armstrong in France. This marks the first time a rider using a compact chainset equipped bicycle has been on the podium in a Grand Tour.
FSA's K-Force MegaExo Compact chainset uses outboard bearings and an oversize spindle that is stiffer and lighter than most cranksets, which provides optimal power transfer for the rider. That's why Ivan Basso has already made the switch for 2006 to FSA's K-Force MegaExo Compact.
Old 06-09-06, 05:47 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Someone said it up there but the FSA is a better crank...well maybe not the crank it self but the rings...there have been a bunch of issues (poor finish and poor shifting) with the Truvativ cranks in general. I would go with the FSA or something else...Those Stronglight cranks look nice. I have the FSA SLK compact because they came stock on my Roubaix but other than maybe to save weight down the road I see no reason to change them.
Old 06-09-06, 06:01 AM
legstwelve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well no better reccomendation than that. Just have to get the soloist carbon to match.
Old 06-09-06, 09:49 AM
briscoelab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelly.Fisher
Really? The FSA site specs the SLK compact as being 840g w/ BB, and the Truvative site states the Rouleur Carbon Giga-X pipe (minus BB) is 794g, and the BB can't weigh all that much. The K-Force, however, is rated at 780g w/ BB, so that is a significant difference.

What, specifically, has been occuring with the Truvative cranks? I've seen quite a few posts from people with SLK's that can't keep the fixing bolt tight longer than a ride or two, so if the Truvatives have even more problems than that, then I definately want to steer clear of them.

The BB is quite heavy... even the new external bearing ones.

I've had terrible luck with my FSA crank... both bearing problems (after doing a couple races in the rain) and issues with the chainring bolts and left crank arm coming loose. I've heard others complain a lot about FSA bearing issues... But a lot of others have really good luck with the FSA SLK and Mega Exo cranks. I had a Gossamer compact that gave me no complaints at all. YMMV of course.

I'd just wait till the new 2007 Campy Carbon cranks come out Or put in an order for the Zero Gravity cranks.... not carbon but stiffer and lighter.
Old 06-09-06, 10:50 AM
Kelly.Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by briscoelab
The BB is quite heavy... even the new external bearing ones.

I've had terrible luck with my FSA crank... both bearing problems (after doing a couple races in the rain) and issues with the chainring bolts and left crank arm coming loose. I've heard others complain a lot about FSA bearing issues... But a lot of others have really good luck with the FSA SLK and Mega Exo cranks. I had a Gossamer compact that gave me no complaints at all. YMMV of course.

I'd just wait till the new 2007 Campy Carbon cranks come out Or put in an order for the Zero Gravity cranks.... not carbon but stiffer and lighter.
You know, I never really even considered Campy cranks, considering everything else on the bike is Shimano. I think I might just hold off a bit and see what comes out for next year. There appear to be too many problems with the current generation of cranks, and the R700's, from the photos I've seen, have the visual appearance of bottom of the line Shimano stuff. You'd think they could pretty up their cranks somewhat.
Old 06-12-06, 08:18 PM
dhfd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by racingpain
Dude I just bought a Bontrager Compact on sale from our LBS for $150.00 it was supposed to origionally be $200.00 it is the crank of the Trek Equinox 9. It is a really nice compact double. I have been shifting a lot smoother since I got it. If I were you I would look at the high end Bontrager cranks, and you may even be able to snag yourself a deal.
Did you have to change out anything else? I'm looking to upgrade to a compact, have the triple that came on 04 Allez Triple.
Old 06-12-06, 09:23 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm having BB problems with my Truvativ. Same with a friend of mine. I personally won't buy another Truvativ crank.
Old 06-13-06, 05:31 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelly.Fisher
, and the R700's, from the photos I've seen, have the visual appearance of bottom of the line Shimano stuff.
LOL! They are comparable to Ultegra-quality cranks and are not very far off of Dura-Ace! The construction is virtually the same, the likely difference being lower weight materials used in Dura-Ace.