Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Messenger bags- right or left shoulder?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12, 03:28 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Made a run to the store today with my mess bag. The strap goes over the left shoulder. I noticed that how I like to position the bag on body causes the bag to reduce what little of my precious viewing angle when attempting to look over my shoulder while riding.

Maybe the strap placement has something to do with body positioning on the bike?
Old 09-15-12, 03:37 PM
SinX7

Bikes: Pure Fix Romeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of bag is it?
Old 09-15-12, 03:52 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SinX7
What kind of bag is it?
It's a large Banjo Brothers that I received in a trade for some Knog panniers that I had heel strike with. Their medium bag can be worn over either shoulder, but not the large.

Truth be told, if I were to get another mess bag, I'd probably shoot for the Chrome Citizen Night- but I can get a backpack cheaper (which I already have two of- but neither are all that great while riding).
Old 09-15-12, 03:52 PM
jcorn427

Bikes: 1996 Trek 750 Multitrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, oneway to go would be to put a rack on your bike and snag one of these:
https://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...nier-messenger
Old 09-15-12, 04:01 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jcorn427
Well, oneway to go would be to put a rack on your bike and snag one of these:
https://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...nier-messenger
I took the rack off. Short chain stays (16.3") gave me heel strike every time I tried to hang something off the side.
Old 09-15-12, 04:08 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by no1mad
I took the rack off. Short chain stays (16.3") gave me heel strike every time I tried to hang something off the side.

I'm getting a bungee net. My laptop bag has 2 thick layers of padding, and I added a sleeve and will also but bubble wrap. Can just bungee the bag to the rack.

edited to add: I'm currently using a laptop bag in a messenger bag style. Backpack is too sweaty, and messenger style laptop bag is not as balanced as I like.

Last edited by treadtread; 09-15-12 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-15-12, 04:12 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Both my Chrome Citizen and Timbuk2 Classic run over the left shoulder. I've never noticed a rear view problem with either bag. I do tend to make use of my mirror quite a bit though.
Old 09-15-12, 04:16 PM
SinX7

Bikes: Pure Fix Romeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The strap should be over the left shoulder for right hand, and Right shoulder for a left hand person.

Take a look at how he wear it in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj1-218EnvY

And thanks for linking to those backpack! Probably going to order me one to replace my sling backpack.

Last edited by SinX7; 09-15-12 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-15-12, 04:41 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by treadtread
I'm getting a bungee net. My laptop bag has 2 thick layers of padding, and I added a sleeve and will also but bubble wrap. Can just bungee the bag to the rack.

edited to add: I'm currently using a laptop bag in a messenger bag style. Backpack is too sweaty, and messenger style laptop bag is not as balanced as I like.
I used to run with a flat beverage crate mounted to the rack and just toss my backpack on it. I've posted pics of this set up before, but I'll do it again for some of the newer members.

BTW, the bag in the pic is a large Banjo Brothers backpack that I have since traded for a rack trunk that didn't quite work out for commuting purposes- great for extended recreational riding, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
10171623..jpg (96.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg
10171627..jpg (96.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-15-12, 09:56 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SinX7
The strap should be over the left shoulder for right hand, and Right shoulder for a left hand person.

Take a look at how he wear it in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj1-218EnvY

And thanks for linking to those backpack! Probably going to order me one to replace my sling backpack.
Ah, so since I'm right handed, then I suppose the strap on the left shoulder it is. Part of the problem could be how I've got the bag situated to fit me, or that it was basically empty on the way to the store, but the blocked shoulder wasn't as bad after putting 2 2L bottles in it.
Old 09-15-12, 10:02 PM
Bulbuzoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a rack with two straps, but before just pass the bag's strap around the seat tube so if it falls it won't get lost behind!
Old 09-16-12, 11:20 AM
Trifusion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bag opposite the dismount side you favour, so shoulder should be dismount side.

Greg
Old 09-16-12, 12:14 PM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bungeed to the top of my rear rack. Much better than having it swing around as I'm cycling along.
Old 09-16-12, 12:26 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulbuzoe
On a rack with two straps, but before just pass the bag's strap around the seat tube so if it falls it won't get lost behind!
Again, I took the rack off.
Old 09-16-12, 12:30 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trifusion
Bag opposite the dismount side you favour, so shoulder should be dismount side.

Greg
Well, since I do my Rockette like high thrust kick with my right leg and I'm right handed, I guess it's a good thing the strap is on the left sholder.
Old 09-16-12, 12:41 PM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Again, I took the rack off.
At risk of sounding stupid- why not put it back on? It's what it's for. If you get heel strike with panniers then don't use panniers. You can always bolt a crate or something to it.
Old 09-16-12, 12:49 PM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ I agree. Zip tie a milk crate on there and be done with it.

If you gotta use the bag, just choose the shoulder that feels best.
Old 09-16-12, 08:00 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster Pete
At risk of sounding stupid- why not put it back on? It's what it's for. If you get heel strike with panniers then don't use panniers. You can always bolt a crate or something to it.
For the record, I have:
-Used a milk crate, but stopped due to my backpack being too large to fit inside.
-Strapped the pack to the platform, but messing with the packs straps all the time got to be tedious.
-Used a flat beverage crate. Most useful solution by far, but blocked my rear lights too much.
-Had some saddlebag type panniers from Knog that I had heel strike with, so traded for the mess bag in question (why I started this thread).
-Used some old Nashbar Townies that I had better luck at avoiding heel strike, but a full backpack wouldn't fit, they don't shed water all that well, and when I did use them both for grocery runs, the load made the bike respond sluggishly.

I've decided that though this bike does have the proper eyelets for mounting a rack, it's happier when it doesn't have one. I may yet decide to put a rack back on this bike, but it won't be the current one. Until such time, I'll roll without.
Old 09-17-12, 07:14 AM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried a Topeak EXP MTX on my rack yesterday, didn't have heel strike with the panniers out. Planning to buy one today, and skip the cargo net. Was looking at the net as a cheaper alternative, but I just got some extra money so I'm spending it on the bag.
Old 09-17-12, 09:39 AM
AlmostGreenGuy

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

and when I did use them both for grocery runs, the load made the bike respond sluggishly. I've decided that though this bike does have the proper eyelets for mounting a rack, it's happier when it doesn't have one. I may yet decide to put a rack back on this bike, but it won't be the current one. Until such time, I'll roll without.
Understood, and I totally agree. I hate how my bikes handle with a load of a rear rack. If the load is less than 30 pounds or so, I'd rather put it on my back.
Old 09-17-12, 09:44 AM
AlmostGreenGuy

Truth be told, if I were to get another mess bag, I'd probably shoot for the Chrome Citizen Night- but I can get a backpack cheaper (which I already have two of- but neither are all that great while riding).
My Chrome Citizen has been getting a lot of use lately. I didn't initially warm up to it, but now that I've been doing a lot of riding with it, my attitude is quickly changing. It rides like heaven on your back, thanks to the bag positioning and the padding on the shoulder strap. Not as good for walking around as some other mess bags, but it's awesome on a bike. Very weatherproof too. Perfect for a 10 pound or lighter load.
Old 09-17-12, 10:06 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Switch back and forth to reduce likelihood of back issues.
Old 09-17-12, 10:37 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Ah, so since I'm right handed, then I suppose the strap on the left shoulder it is. Part of the problem could be how I've got the bag situated to fit me, or that it was basically empty on the way to the store, but the blocked shoulder wasn't as bad after putting 2 2L bottles in it.
If your bag looks like the one on the Banjo website, it's a righty, and should drape from your left shoulder to right hip.
Righty/Lefty on a side-specific courier bag isn't dependent on which is your dominant hand, it's the actual construction of the bag. The strap design will be sewn differently so the bag lies angled down from the left shoulder, or down from the right shoulder, with the padded area at the shoulder and the stabilizer strap going under the arm and across the chest. Same deal with a lefty design. Of course, some of us are weirdos and like lefty bags but are right handed.

(courier related drivel about bag design)
Righty bags typically go over the left shoulder, so your bag swings down to where you can easily go through it with your right hand. It also puts your radio holster in position for a right hand grab. Lefty bags hang from the right shoulder, so they're less likely to block traffic-side mirror view unless you've really got it overloaded. When I rode for a living, this was an issue; commuting, not usually so much. I wore my radio high, so a right-hand-to-right-shoulder to tap my talk button was an easy move for me (again, not a typical commuter issue.) I found that having a large bag like the Metropolis swing to my left hip was actually easier to rifle through with my right hand; I could use my left to hold the bag open and the right to shuffle items. It was also a quicker mount up, closing the clips on the bag and getting on the bike from the NDS while swinging a bag from the same side hip up as I pulled the strap down and tight.
(End courier related drivel)

Overall, the benefits of the courier bag aren't much of a concern for the average commute, where you're in-and-out of your bag for maybe an errand or two on your way home. Pick which side you're more comfortable having the bag shouldered on, and go with it.
Old 09-17-12, 11:29 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Switch back and forth to reduce likelihood of back issues.
Not possible with this bag. From what I gather, most messenger bags are designed to be worn over one or the other shoulder, but not over either one. There are some that do allow you the option of switching, however.
Old 09-18-12, 01:11 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
that bike messenger was impressive but too many variables, hope he doesn't get hurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.