Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

At what point is a stem too short to where it affects handling?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-14, 03:20 PM
lawlessbeanr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A friend of mine bought a decent road bike from CL based on height alone, he's 5'7" and bought a 52cm frame with a 90mm stem and the reach is just slightly too long for him (He has freakishly short arms). He's been dealing with some numbness in fingers after rides and doesn't have a slight bend in the elbow like he should unless he puts his hands an inch or so behind the rubber hoods. Ideally everything else about the frame is perfect for him though (a 50cm frame would be too small for him).

With the bike being a small sized frame (52cm), how bad (if at all), would it be for him to drop down to either an 80mm or possibly 75mm stem? I won't advise him to go any lower than 75mm because I've read that there's a point where going too short can affect handling and twitchiness.
Old 08-24-14, 04:53 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by lawlessbeanr
A friend of mine bought a decent road bike from CL based on height alone, he's 5'7" and bought a 52cm frame with a 90mm stem and the reach is just slightly too long for him (He has freakishly short arms). He's been dealing with some numbness in fingers after rides and doesn't have a slight bend in the elbow like he should unless he puts his hands an inch or so behind the rubber hoods. Ideally everything else about the frame is perfect for him though (a 50cm frame would be too small for him).

With the bike being a small sized frame (52cm), how bad (if at all), would it be for him to drop down to either an 80mm or possibly 75mm stem? I won't advise him to go any lower than 75mm because I've read that there's a point where going too short can affect handling and twitchiness.
I agree he should probably try a shorter stem, but it's impossible to say how much shorter. 52 could be a frame size or two small for him based on leg length, but we don't know. But, I finally learned the truth that a centimeter is a mile when adjusting stem length. I wouldn't make a jump larger than 1 cm at a time.

I have made a lot of stem changes on my bikes, and really have not seen any significant changes in handling, until the stem gets 3 cm too long, like a 130 mm or so. I've also gone as small as 6 cm extension on one bike, and handling was not an issue. What has been of concern are changes in fit - scrunched back, too much reach, too tiring to stay on the hoods, and other issues.

But basically, my opinion is, get the comfort and fit right. The effect on handling is a lot smaller than those effects.

Last edited by Road Fan; 08-31-14 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-24-14, 08:18 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The solution is to install a stem riser to get the bars up to a more comfortable riding position. Your hands, arms and back will feel more relaxed. From there you can make stem adjustments to dial in the fit.
Old 08-24-14, 09:55 PM
ofgit

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe he could try a short reach handlebar.
Old 08-24-14, 11:51 PM
lawlessbeanr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
The solution is to install a stem riser to get the bars up to a more comfortable riding position. Your hands, arms and back will feel more relaxed. From there you can make stem adjustments to dial in the fit.
He's already has a reasonable amount of spacers under the stem, so I guess the shorter stem is the wya to go from here.
Old 08-29-14, 12:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I agree he should probably try a shorter stem, but it's impossible to say how much shorter. 52 could be a frame size or two small for him based on leg length, but we don't know. But, I finally leaned the truth that a centimeter is a mile when adjusting stem length. I wouldn't make a jump larger than 1 cm at a time.

I have made a lot of stem changes on my bikes, and really have not seen any significant changes in handling, until the stem gets 3 cm too long, like a 130 mm or so. I've also gone as small as 6 cm extension on one bike, and handling was not an issue. What has been of concern are changes in fit - scrunched back, too much reach, too tiring to stay on the hoods, and other issues.

But basically, my opinion is, get the comfort and fit right. The effect on handling is a lot smaller than those effects.
I agree with Road Fan, especially the last line. My '91 Bianchi came to me with a 40mm (yes!) stem, and I was able to ride it for a couple of years just fine before adopting more of a stretched-out position. I now use an 80mm stem on that bike, and have just moved up to a 90mm stem on my '87 Bianchi, after using an 80mm on that one for a couple of years.

While stem length does have a slight impact on the arc of the steering range, I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually the amount of weight over the front wheel that gives people the impression that longer stems lend more stability.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-29-14 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 02:38 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott

While stem length does have a slight impact on the arc of the steering range, I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually the amount of weight over the front wheel that gives people the impression that longer stems lend more stability.
This is absolutely it, in my opinion. When I indulged myself with a custom bike, the only difference in fit between that and the Giant TCR I'd been riding was that my centre of gravity was moved slightly forward, with a 120mm stem instead of 100 mm. The new bike handles better as a result, but I think it's the weight distribution, little or nothing to do with the steering arc.
Old 08-31-14, 06:22 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I agree with Road Fan, especially the last line. My '91 Bianchi came to me with a 40mm (yes!) stem, and I was able to ride it for a couple of years just fine before adopting more of a stretched-out position. I now use an 80mm stem on that bike, and have just moved up to a 90mm stem on my '87 Bianchi, after using an 80mm on that one for a couple of years.

Thanks! I get another "platitude" out of this: Let your fit evolve as you gain fitness and flexibility.

Maybe that nice 130 mm Cinelli stem will end up being right for my little 52 cm Masi, after I finish growing up!
Old 09-02-14, 12:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Thanks! I get another "platitude" out of this: Let your fit evolve as you gain fitness and flexibility.

Maybe that nice 130 mm Cinelli stem will end up being right for my little 52 cm Masi, after I finish growing up!
Yep! I've been riding road bikes for 6 years now, and I still tweak my fit now and then. I wonder if it'll ever stop evolving.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-04-14, 10:17 AM
Ed702

Bikes: 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m 5’7” and ride a 52CM Cannondale CAAD10 5. Several months ago I swapped out the OE Cannondale C3, 90mm x 31.8mm, 6 deg stem with a SPECIALIZED 75mm x 31.8mm, 24 deg stem. Handling hasn’t noticeably changed, and it is much more comfortable to ride, especially over longer distances.

Before

After

Last edited by Ed702; 09-04-14 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-04-14, 12:23 PM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stem length doesn't affect stability the way people think; as long as a bike has reasonable trail - which is set for by fork rake - it will steer perfectly well with any length of stem. Mtbs and bmx often run very short stems indeed without having problems - the stems can hold the bars flat against the steerer.
Old 09-05-14, 06:31 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
The new bike handles better as a result, but I think it's the weight distribution, little or nothing to do with the steering arc.
Absolutely correct. If you look at the actual amount of handlebar movement required to steer a moving road bike (even in crit racing), you'll quickly realize that steering arc makes virtually no difference. Weight distribution, on the other hand, is very important. It has a significant effect on how the bike "turns in" as well as how much traction you have through the corner.
Old 09-06-14, 11:38 PM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
(a 50cm frame would be too small for him)
that's actually not true at all, considering he has short arms and shortening the stem will only get you so far. when you have an issue like this, you have 2 choices, larger frame/shorter stem or shorter frame/longer stem. just because people 5'7" tall usually ride 52cm frames doesn't mean that a 52cm frame is right for him...

With the bike being a small sized frame (52cm), how bad would it be for him to drop down to either an 80mm or possibly 75mm stem? I won't advise him to go any lower than 75mm because I've read that there's a point where going too short can affect handling and twitchiness.
that fine, and if he still struggling a bit than he could always use a shorter reach handlebar too...