Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Old 10-28-15, 11:15 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
@PatrickGSR94 what kind of hashtags?
#stupidteen #unsafemotorist ? #thisguyishardcore
Old 10-28-15, 11:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,424 Posts
Today is my third day in a row taking the subway instead of riding. We're due for "soaking rain" today, which is why I skipped today. I should have ridden Monday and yesterday. But I did ride a little yesterday. I had a two-leg trip home, and I took Citi Bike (the bike share) on the second leg.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-28-15, 11:50 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
Just the typical ones like #bicycle #cyclist #bikerider and so on.

Shortly after I had searched the bicycle tag, IG shut that tag down for awhile because someone posted a bunch of explicit pics having nothing to do with a bicycle.
Old 10-28-15, 09:03 PM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2024 Polygon Siskiu D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
Finally got a faster ride home than on my way in today. Really nice weather both this morning being nice a cool with a little breeze that picked up my last couple miles, followed by a nice wind and temps in the mid 80's for the ride home.
Old 10-29-15, 03:11 AM
bendoza

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good ride. The rain begins.
Old 10-29-15, 05:22 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Warm and foggy this morning at about 100% humidity. I felt sluggish.
Old 10-29-15, 05:52 AM
spoiledrotten

Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute was bad and good. I just got my new Scott last week. This was to be my first day to ride it to work. I got up at 4 AM, got ready, left the house, and about 3 miles away, going down a hill, I hit some little golf ball sized piece of metal with a small bolt in it. Needless to say, it damaged my back tire. Called the wife to come get me. I was definitely disappointed, but it could have been so much worse. I could have hit it with the front tire and had me doing cartwheels down the road at 25 - 28 MPH. Well, this afternoon, it will be time to see what kind of damage it did to the tire.
Old 10-29-15, 06:25 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Very foggy out this morning. Leaving the neighborhood while it was still dark was some of the heaviest fog I've seen. It was off and on lighter and heavier as I went. But overall still a good ride.

There is one busier two lane road I get on for a bit over a tenth of a mile. To get off of it, I make a left from a left turn lane. Sometimes I have to wait for an opening in traffic to get over to that left turn lane. Cars will often use the beginnings of the turn lane (where the yellow lines start and the lane begins) and the lane itself to go around me. And that's fine until a car stops in that lane to wait to turn left. That happened today where three cars were passing me. The first uses the left lane early to get around me, but then stops to make the left. The next two cars are then having to quickly cut back to the right to avoid hitting that guy.

I saw the whole thing unfolding, slowed down and got over behind the car turning left as soon as I could. Thankfully nothing happened, but it sure had the potential for a bad rear-ending of that guy turning left.
Old 10-29-15, 06:31 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Missed two days commuting due to rain, but the storms finally passed by overnight and I was able to ride this morning. Roads still very wet and I was cautious to avoid slipping on wet leaves. Temps very warm in the mid-60s and I didn't wear my vest or jacket for the first time this month during my morning commute. I probably would have driven today if I hadn't missed two days riding due to the rain because I have a dentist appointment at noon. However, I am taking the afternoon off, so plan to ride to the dentist in my cycling clothes and go home from there.

We are heading up to West Virginia this afternoon to spend the weekend riding on the Greenbrier River Trail. A friend and me rode the entire trail over the summer, and we're heading back with some more friends and their wives. Should be a fun weekend if the weather holds. The leaves should still have some good color, and it's supposed to be cool and sunny.
Old 10-29-15, 07:30 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Lots of traffic this morning. I don't know where it all is coming from, nor do I like it! Glad I was on a bike and not stuck behind other cars for 99% of the ride.

First ride of the week. Did a century on Saturday, and usually those make me want to forget I own a bike for a solid week or so, but was ready to get back on on Tuesday! So I am happy with that progress. Unfortunately, I wimped out with rainy weather...I didn't quite feel like dealing with that.

Got a 2nd set of lights and a helmet mount in just in time for DST to end and the evening ride to be dark. Cygolite Pace 500 and a taillight were like 65 bucks from Performance, so I think that price was worth it to me. Definitely makes my helmet feel heavier, but I bet I get used to it quick enough.
Old 10-29-15, 07:34 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Today is my third day in a row taking the subway instead of riding. We're due for "soaking rain" today, which is why I skipped today. I should have ridden Monday and yesterday. But I did ride a little yesterday. I had a two-leg trip home, and I took Citi Bike (the bike share) on the second leg.
Cool about the Citi Bike ride. The wife and I have decided to do a short NYC trip this December before xmess with the inlaws. Looking forward to taking a ride somewhere, and having a subway system to use!
Old 10-29-15, 07:44 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rain had me off the bike for two days. But, it cleared up today, and I jumped at the chance to ride. Wind was a bear, 20 mph blowing right into my face for a solid hour. Cold enough for a jacket, but I still was able to wear shorts. I did wish I wore ear protection though.

The morning commute took 10 minutes longer than usual because the wind lowered my average speed. It seemed that I almost never made it much past 15 mph, but it was dark so I wasn't really watching my speedo. It felt slow though.
Old 10-29-15, 07:45 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
A chilly, windy 40F morning - but the rain has stopped, small miracles
Old 10-29-15, 08:56 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hope everyone's commute was better than this guys. My friend snapped this photo during his commute this morning. Apparently, someone decided to bypass the barricades and test the new concrete before it was ready. Looks like they took a trip up and over the handlebars.

I guess the incident happened yesterday, because the concrete is hard now. While he was taking this picture, some of the construction folks asked if my friend was the one who did this. I guess they are none too please about having to fix it... and rightfully so.

Old 10-29-15, 09:09 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First ride this week due to the rain. Beautiful clear skies this morning with plenty of moonlight. Going to ride home also. I rarely ride both directions in the same day, but my legs feel fresh and the weather is great. Supposed to eat a big dinner with he wife tonight so I need to burn some calories.
Old 10-29-15, 09:12 AM
ChicagoDan

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Fuji Tread, Montague Navigator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning was tough. 36 degrees with headwind gusts up to 30 mph. The forecast is for the wind to shift, so I get strong headwinds on the way home, too.
Old 10-29-15, 09:15 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@bmthom.gis, I take Citi Bike a few times a week. It's very useful, and it's fun, too. And let me know when you're in the city. Maybe I can give you a bike tour.

I rode in today. It's unusually warm. I wore just a polo shirt and cotton trousers. I had to roll up my trousers and remove my under-helmet hat in the middle of the ride.

I realize one reason I avoid bike commuting is that I have an overblown fear of becoming exhausted or being in some other kind of terrible pain. I think I have to confront this and realize that it happens rarely.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 10-29-15, 10:55 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Mornings are starting to get chilly... almost time to put away the shorts and get out the knickers.
Old 10-29-15, 11:20 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I was talking to the new cleaning lady for our condo complex who asked me "where are you going" as I was walking my bike outside. She seemed pretty perplexed about me riding to work - and that was before it started to mist before I even rode out of the parking lot.
Old 10-29-15, 11:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I forgot to mention: this morning, on the way to work, I had a tailwind! Yippee! I almost always have a headwind in the mornings.

I think I'll leave my bike at work tonight and take the subway home. I have places to go on the way home and can't lock my bike. Plus I don't want to face headwinds tonight.

People know many things about New York City, but did you know it's a very windy place? Before moving back here (where I grew up), I lived nearby in suburban New Jersey. The difference in wind is big.

Old 10-29-15, 11:40 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Cool about the Citi Bike ride. The wife and I have decided to do a short NYC trip this December before xmess with the inlaws. Looking forward to taking a ride somewhere, and having a subway system to use!
I appreciate having a subway, since there is no such animal where I live. However I just read an article yesterday about some girl who moved to NYC a few years ago and started bike commuting. She describes bike commuting as joyful freedom, as opposed to the subway which she feels is oppressive and disgusting.

Originally Posted by ChicagoDan
This morning was tough. 36 degrees with headwind gusts up to 30 mph. The forecast is for the wind to shift, so I get strong headwinds on the way home, too.
Ughhhh I hate the wind shift days where it's against you both ways! Usually happens around here when we have one of those cold-front days with dropping temperatures all day long.

People know many things about New York City, but did you know it's a very windy place? Before moving back here (where I grew up), I lived nearby in suburban New Jersey. The difference in wind is big.
More wind because skyscrapers?
Old 10-29-15, 11:42 AM
PatrickGSR94

No sooner did I post on a FB page this morning about rarely getting any honks or yells from motorists, someone in a pickup honked at me this morning, from the oncoming lane. My presence was not affecting him in any way whatsoever but for some reason felt the need to blare the horn as we passed each other (2-lane road).

Otherwise it was a nice commute, but dark. 52° and I had a long-sleeve jersey and wind shell. I think it was too much, probably could have gone with short-sleeve jersey and arm warmers.
Old 10-29-15, 11:49 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I appreciate having a subway, since there is no such animal where I live. However I just read an article yesterday about some girl who moved to NYC a few years ago and started bike commuting. She describes bike commuting as joyful freedom, as opposed to the subway which she feels is oppressive and disgusting.
The subway is oppressive, disgusting, and much more. But it's great. It is everyone's shared limo. It runs 24 hours, still the only one on the planet, but not for long. It's uncomfortable but fairly reliable. Having both bike commuting and the subway as options is heavenly for me. I sold my car! Yay! I'm wondering how far Citi Bike will spread. They just expanded it considerably with further expansions planned, but there is not yet a plan to cover large areas of this very large city (304 square miles). Since work is 13 miles from home, I wouldn't want to ride these big, clunky bikes that long at once, and it's moot, because the service area only goes as far up as 86th Street and also, you get charged heavily if you check a bike out for more than 45 minutes.

That's part of it, but we are also a harbor city. The streets do channel the wind a lot. Sometimes, when you round a corner, you can be hit very hard, almost knocked over. I'm not prey to that on my riverside commute, but I still have very heavy winds at times.

Old 10-29-15, 12:01 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94

Ughhhh I hate the wind shift days where it's against you both ways! Usually happens around here when we have one of those cold-front days with dropping temperatures all day long.

I enjoyed riding the metro in Paris. Maybe it's the novelty of the thing, since we don't have anything like it here in SC. Just get on and ride, no traffic jams and can get you across town relatively fast.
Old 10-29-15, 12:02 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The subway is oppressive, disgusting, and much more. But it's great. It is everyone's shared limo. It runs 24 hours, still the only one on the planet, but not for long. It's uncomfortable but fairly reliable. Having both bike commuting and the subway as options is heavenly for me. I sold my car! Yay! I'm wondering how far Citi Bike will spread. They just expanded it considerably with further expansions planned, but there is not yet a plan to cover large areas of this very large city (304 square miles). Since work is 13 miles from home, I wouldn't want to ride these big, clunky bikes that long at once, and it's moot, because the service area only goes as far up as 86th Street and also, you get charged heavily if you check a bike out for more than 45 minutes.

That's part of it, but we are also a harbor city. The streets do channel the wind a lot. Sometimes, when you round a corner, you can be hit very hard, almost knocked over. I'm not prey to that on my riverside commute, but I still have very heavy winds at times.
And if riding the Hudson River Greenway, you have the river right next to you....nothing to block the wind if it is coming the right way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.