Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading XLII

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 03:23 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
An esteemed bike forums member recommends this light for true performance .
https://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/L...Alpha_7200.asp
here is the china clone of that light
MONTEER 6500 Downhill Bike Front Light - Magicshine
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 10-26-18, 10:33 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
If Magicshine is the chine clone of alpine, what are the clones of magicshine?
Old 10-26-18, 11:06 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Aha! The stock wheels! Is that the first time you've ever ridden on them? I don't think there's anything wrong with them, just a bit heavy. Mine still have the reflectors on.
3000 something on the frame and first 32 miles on the stock wheels it came with. Bearings are smooth, freewheel is decent (rev’dup the cadence test to 154 rpm and they held up pretty good on the engagements ) and middle sounding hum. But they roll straight so that’s all I need til I can get proper replacements.
Old 10-27-18, 07:51 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Aha! The stock wheels! Is that the first time you've ever ridden on them? I don't think there's anything wrong with them, just a bit heavy. Mine still have the reflectors on.
i was gonna say — Fulcrum 5s seems ok to me I’ve got the DB version on the Bianchi. They spin nicely and are pretty quiet, for sure.

wheel snob!

Last edited by expatbrit; 10-27-18 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-28-18, 01:23 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by expatbrit

i was gonna say — Fulcrum 5s seems ok to me I’ve got the DB version on the Bianchi. They spin nicely and are pretty quiet, for sure.

wheel snob!
Yeah, they're perfectly adequate but not up to the bike-snob level of your Bianchi!

Get shopping!
Old 10-28-18, 06:18 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah, they're perfectly adequate but not up to the bike-snob level of your Bianchi!

Get shopping!
i have shopped! now I am getting waiting.

First century since the incident today; pretty much 11 months to the day. I still suck at hydration, and i sweated the sunscreen off into my Gabba and burnt my arms.

Also, never riding more than 40 miles means the body goes ‘WTF’ at 50.
Old 10-28-18, 09:13 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Looking at the Magicshine website and found this: MONTEER 1400 USB Bicycle Light - Magicshine

I like that it uses batteries that are user replaceable when they wear out. Plus you can carry spare batteries with you.
Old 10-28-18, 10:39 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
That Monteer 1400 is really close to my perfect headlight. I'll put it on the Xmas list so I don't have to race the sun every day to finish the Festive 500.
Old 10-28-18, 11:06 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Few year back lezyne had racing lights light that were just like that but with their own brand 2 cell battery and sold them light with two batts. Perfect design except the pos and neg on the packs were too close to each other and would arch if touched something while in your camelback. Sadly their next gen lights were sealed batts light the nightrider lumina series.

That clone looks dope and better design with off the shelf 18650 cells. Reminds of when I was using led flash lights to ride back when most bike lights were HID. Downside is changing the cells in total darkness but at least we have lights on our phones now to help
Old 10-29-18, 11:13 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

been slacking on the bike all summer, normally ride only 3-4 hours per week, last week I managed 14hours on the bike only 2 were on the Roadie. Allot of dirty miles, i hope my legs and my mind will survive this weekend long MTB race in Temecula
Yesterday I left the house at 11am and rode to sunset. Explored a local trail system I stumbled across in Strava mapping. Was awesome!! And I didn't have leg cramps!!
  • 42.59mi
  • 4:37:30
    Moving Time
  • 4,255ft
    Elevation (?)
    Massive Relative Effort
  • 164W
    Estimated Avg Power
  • 2,723kJ
    Energy Output

]
Old 10-29-18, 11:27 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,431 Times in 2,538 Posts
What are the trails you discovered?
Old 10-29-18, 11:57 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Connector trail from PQ called the "San Diego Trans Trails" or segments of S. Poway trail. Take you to the bridge under Scripps Poway Parkway/Sycamore Canyon Rd. Pedal a mile on pavement and drop into Martha Grove. Ended up doing Cardiac Hill, that 22% grade section really sucked. I'd been on the bike almost 4 hours at this point. And took a nice break at the ridge line parking lot. Been a while since I rode, Sycamore, mahn those marines did a number to the "Stowe Trail" with 7ft high signs every 40 yards.

I started on the backside of Black Mt, thru Del Mar Mesa, to PQ, Poway trail, to Sycamore. Ran out of light otherwise I would have tried to ride through Mission trails to get to Clarmount, My wife picked me up, so only one way trip, this time. I'll have to do the round trip another time. I got to West Hills HS at 5:50. Would have been another hour to get thru mission trails and over Fotuna Mt and E ticket.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1933345639
Old 10-29-18, 01:21 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

OK, looking at your strava, I see where you went. I think that's well over a mile on garden rd and sycamore canyon between dirt and martha's grove again (even if you don't backtrack w on garden).

One time a buddy took me and my wife from the end of Beeler Canyon Rd into Sycamore Canyon from the West (not sure if that's what's called 'cardiac hill'), that might be a better option for you, jog up on Pomerado to Beeler Cyn.

So you chose to risk it riding past all the MCAS signs? Ever since they 'closed' that off I stopped going to sycamore canyon altogether, not really worth the ride with only the northern part open.

This one time, when my kids were in [not band] camp, I got my wife to drop me off in Jamul and I rode my crosscheck home, coming in the bottom at Santee Lakes there, destination mid-Poway.
Old 10-29-18, 01:40 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Yah I had to get to 711 for water and caffeine. Should have been one or two climbs away from that bridge otherwise if I stayed higher on the ridge line. It was my first time riding thru Sycamore since the take your bike thing. I just follow the signs and didn’t spin off that awesome creek trail I remember. I had no other option but to push in thru. It said stay on trail and reminded me ever other foot it seemed so I couldn’t possibly see getting in trouble. I noticed signed up at every fork possible of trespassing. Ruin trail!! And the trail from the top parking lot on the ridge seems super groomed and not covered in baby heads. Martha’s grove was awesome as always. Bit of pucker factor hitting those rock drops at speed when tired. Them fat tires saved me a few times
Old 10-29-18, 01:45 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Oh, so the narrow trail is technically open as long as you don't go anywhere fun?

I'm still not man enough for Martha's grove. I can't take those drops at speed even when fresh. Usually I either slow down too much like a scairdeycat (and end up slo-mo endo), or just walk it.
Old 10-29-18, 02:37 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Oh, so the narrow trail is technically open as long as you don't go anywhere fun?

I'm still not man enough for Martha's grove. I can't take those drops at speed even when fresh. Usually I either slow down too much like a scairdeycat (and end up slo-mo endo), or just walk it.
yah there used to be three trails that goes from the ranch house gate, east side was double track w/ the sand traps, the middle one crossed the creek 4-7 times and was hella fun and the west edge is sorta single track. Seems only the west edge is open to pass thru and when you get to the south meadow, you can't be on the west side of the lakes anymore. Followed the fire road til pavement and slight downhill to Mast.

The first rock drop in on marthas caught me off guard, I was going WAY to fast to stop so I just sent it and landed on the right line, they built up a granite rock bridge over the center ruts. The dropper seat post helps a ton here, before I would be ass over tea kettle hitting it too fast and taking the wrong lines.
Old 10-29-18, 03:07 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I only have a 'poor man's dropper post' aka a quick-release seatpost clamp