Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-18, 07:45 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
R.I.P. Paul Sherwin.
Damn. I haven't watched the tour much lately but he was certainly the voice of it for me and many others.
Old 12-03-18, 11:01 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Sometimes these celebrity deaths hit hard. This one certainly did, I've been watching that duo for years.
Old 12-03-18, 11:18 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I had the opportunity to have dinner with Phil and Paul after one of the Tour of California races. They were a fantastic team. When doing commentary, they see what we see on a TV in real time with no additional help. Paul's ability to relate to racing, the terrain and landmarks in real time took years of experience. He and his talent and experience will be missed. RIP.
Old 12-03-18, 11:39 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Got the final okay from the cardiologist after my last stress test and EKG. He feels confident now that the issue (Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome resulting in episodes of supraventricular tachycardia...I think I got that right) has been resolved. My wife was adamant about me not riding until he said so, even though he said after the ablation in October I was free and clear to do whatever and he wasn't worried about strenuous exercise.

But anyway, other than 3 short rides to go get my car, I haven't ridden since the last week of August. And I really don't want to that much. Once I broke the "habit", I filled my time with a lot of other things I haven't focused as much on, notably my job.

I still want to race, but I need to jump on the bike and actually get back into the groove of training, and the first step is the hardest I guess. Just not that anxious to do so, especially with rainy or cold weather seemingly every day.

Maybe I'll just hop on zwift and do one of their training plans and some "races" for a few weeks to get things going, especially since my CTL is about 5 and my ftp is probably a solid 100 watts lower than it was a few months ago. Could be a good little structural/motivational boost.
Your FTP matters not at all. Your confidence, and your doctor's confidence that the issue has been resolved is great news.
For me, a couple of good rides with friends and teammates would get me back into the groove. The trainer would squash my motivation even further.
Old 12-04-18, 05:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My kid got cut from the JV soccer team. He's an excellent defender (in my totally unbiased opinion) but his skills don't really shine during tryouts and he got cut. I was frustrated and said something like "Well, I hope they get a hundred goals scored on them this season!" He said "I don't. It's still my school!" And at that moment I was really embarrassed for my own reaction and really proud for his. I still have a lot to learn I guess.
Old 12-04-18, 06:39 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
My kid got cut from the JV soccer team. He's an excellent defender (in my totally unbiased opinion) but his skills don't really shine during tryouts and he got cut. I was frustrated and said something like "Well, I hope they get a hundred goals scored on them this season!" He said "I don't. It's still my school!" And at that moment I was really embarrassed for my own reaction and really proud for his. I still have a lot to learn I guess.

Good for him. Indeed that's the stuff to be proud of.

It's interesting. Now that my son is getting to the age where getting cut from something (like a job) is really meaningful the stuff I fretted about when he was younger seems so insignificant. I remember how tragic it seemed when he didn't make all state choir that year he had a bad audition. Soon if he gets cuts from something it means he won't be able to pay rent.
Old 12-05-18, 08:57 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I'm going to have to book a flight on American this year. I really don't like American, but I am so close to a free flight, that it really makes sense to get the miles needed and then cash them in. It will probably be my trip to Vegas in February.

In other news, just when I reach elite status at Marriott, they go and get hacked and give up all of my personal data. Yay! Fortunately, I don't think they have my passport, since I've only stayed with them domestically.
Old 12-07-18, 03:06 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Sweet - they finally approved full funding for our indoor Velodrome / fitness centre. Looks awesome.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...enderings.aspx
Old 12-10-18, 04:16 PM
cmh

That is awesome. When is it expected to be open for business?
Old 12-10-18, 04:29 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
2020 - the pool already exists.
Old 12-14-18, 01:05 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Last day this year at my company. Only 3 days next year here (two I'll be on-site with a customer) and then I'm done. On the 7th I start at my new company.

Very much looking forward to some vacation time at home with the family, and then hopefully my new company will be a good move for me. It's a promotion and a raise, so that's a good start I guess, hopefully I enjoy it.
Old 12-14-18, 02:53 PM
cmh

Good luck Flatballer. Change is good.
Old 12-14-18, 07:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,022 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Last day this year at my company. Only 3 days next year here (two I'll be on-site with a customer) and then I'm done. On the 7th I start at my new company.

Very much looking forward to some vacation time at home with the family, and then hopefully my new company will be a good move for me. It's a promotion and a raise, so that's a good start I guess, hopefully I enjoy it.
Sounds exciting! Good luck with the new gig.
Old 12-16-18, 07:35 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Good luck dude.
Old 12-19-18, 10:28 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Imma just leave these: Muscle memory and a new cellular model for muscle atrophy and hypertrophy | Journal of Experimental Biology & https://i.imgur.com/ft7RBo2.png
Old 12-19-18, 11:01 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Seems to lend some scientific credence to why people who were strong at one point always come back faster than someone just starting out. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-20-18, 04:41 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Big changes afoot. I'm blue star free. I don't spend enough time here to justify it.

My son also came out as gay this week. I couldn't be prouder of him stepping so fully into the world. He's got a post graduate job lined up as a junior in his career of choice, and things are just flowing from his hard work. It's a wonderful thing to watch unfold.
Old 12-21-18, 12:04 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by gsteinb
Big changes afoot. I'm blue star free. I don't spend enough time here to justify it.

My son also came out as gay this week. I couldn't be prouder of him stepping so fully into the world. He's got a post graduate job lined up as a junior in his career of choice, and things are just flowing from his hard work. It's a wonderful thing to watch unfold.
Congrats on not being a mod and on your son's accomplishments. Sounds like you've raised him right .
Old 12-21-18, 07:49 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Sounds exciting! Good luck with the new gig.
John, I have a sort of mechanic-related question for you. I know SnapOn tools are not cheap. If you were not about to retire, which would you rather? Getting a SnapOn screwdriver you'd lost two months back returned to you, or not having your boss hassle you about having left said screwdriver in a customer's engine?

I got my oil changed at one of those quicky places and the guy said, "do you want me to put this screwdriver back in the engine" (it was actually over by the air filter which is a pain in the ass to get in and out).

I was like, "what the..."

He said, "we found this screwdriver, and it's not one of ours"

I responded, "I don't own any SnapOn tools" and he said, "well, you do now."

I could take it back to the shop where I had the work done a couple months back (some sensor changes - and the air filter replaced after he told me that someone, likely the quicky oil folks, had crushed the last one when putting it back in after checking it), but I don't know who did the work, so I'd have to take it up front rather than just giving it to the guy who did the work. I don't know if it's worth the hassle on my part and then the boss would have to look up who did the work and give it to them (and might give them some crap too). It's not like I want to complain as it didn't affect the car, but if it's valuable, I don't want to keep something that isn't mine.
Old 12-21-18, 08:16 AM
big john

I'd prefer getting the tool returned, the boss can only give so much crap. This sort of thing happens a lot, I have several tools that I found, even out on the street.
I left a $60 flex socket in a car and the customer returned it and I gave him a discount on some labor as a "thank you".
I found a Streamlight flashlight in a car (I think they are over $150) and there was a phone number etched into it, so I called the guy. He was happy to hear I found his light but he never came by to pick it up.
Old 12-21-18, 11:04 AM
cmh

Long ago I took my truck in because it was running rough and the shop found nothing wrong with it. Driving home I was thinking, man this is running even worse, and when I got home I popped the hood and found the shop's compression gauge still screwed into one of the spark plug holes.
Old 12-21-18, 11:05 AM
cmh

Originally Posted by gsteinb

Sounds like you have a great son gsteinb. I'm glad things are working out well for him.
Old 12-21-18, 01:04 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by cmh
Long ago I took my truck in because it was running rough and the shop found nothing wrong with it. Driving home I was thinking, man this is running even worse, and when I got home I popped the hood and found the shop's compression gauge still screwed into one of the spark plug holes.
This type of stuff is why I do almost all my work myself. Whenever I let someone do something they manage to mess it up somehow.

Every time I get my cars inspected, I have to use a breaker bar on the lug nuts the next time I rotate them because they never use anti seize and they over torque them so badly that my impact wrench can't even get them. They also consistently forget to replace the crush washer when I let them change the oil sometimes.
Old 12-23-18, 01:22 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Took the drive down to Oregon yesterday and spent some time with my grandparents. My grandfather has been ill for most of my life and its finally coming to a head. He is in hospice at a retirement home and it's a situation I feel totally uncomfortable in. I just don't know the right thing to say or do and the whole vibe of these places gets me messed up.

I thought I was more or less comfortable with the idea of death, but this whole thing has me more and more scared of aging. Old people and mental loss of function is awful.
Old 12-23-18, 07:29 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Took the drive down to Oregon yesterday and spent some time with my grandparents. My grandfather has been ill for most of my life and its finally coming to a head. He is in hospice at a retirement home and it's a situation I feel totally uncomfortable in. I just don't know the right thing to say or do and the whole vibe of these places gets me messed up.

I thought I was more or less comfortable with the idea of death, but this whole thing has me more and more scared of aging. Old people and mental loss of function is awful.
I know what you mean, I hate it. I don't know if there is a right thing to say except to be there and let them know you love them. This was particularly tough with my father, but at least I did see him before he left.
Your post sounds like your grandfather might not know who you are?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.