Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Enthusiast but not hard core,, Others?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 05:41 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
This thread seem to be a re-hash of previous discussions, like:Bike Riding vs Cycling,” e.g,
Like Déjà vu all over again.

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Serious? Hard Core? It's all relative. If you tell someone that doesn't cycle that you rode 50 miles, they're likely to think you're hard core. If you tell them you rode a hundred, they'll think you're hard core and crazy...........
In my case, I often start my 100+ milers at midnight with iPod playing ----
----- and my friends call me Psycho

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Labels don't help and it is all about your perspective.................I wear a helmet, have riding clothes, ride 4 or 5 days each week and am somewhat focused on athletic performance. I've raced gravel, ride fixed-gear on the road and am starting to bikepack.....................Hardcore, Enthusiast. Recreational. Casual. Again, these are all labels and really don't mean anything. There will always be people more or less into any given activity. Call me hardcore if you want. At 55 years old I do what makes me happy.-Tim-
Labels matter to some. I have a 70+yo friend who bicycled 24,000+ miles in one year a couple of years ago. He likes to be considered an endurance cyclist. Numerous times before my surgeries when being checked on by the attending doctors the nurses would mention that "he's an athlete" as the docs looked at my heart rate in the low 40's and then noticing that during the EKG it was 39bpm ONLY because I had to move around to raise it from the 32bpm after they hooked me up. Especially important info for the anesthesiologist when I get put under. Latest surgery was less than a year ago when I was soon to be 68yo.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 03-15-19 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 10:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Enthusiast but not hard core describes me to a T. Im 80, ride my bents 20 to 35 miles every other day. I wear rugby shorts and T-shirts. I seldom think about speed or cadence. I keep up on cycling news, and I am on a couple 3 bike forums. I do all my bike maintenance.
Old 03-15-19, 12:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I liked bike touring to see things in other countries ... many ways to use a bicycle other than competing..
Old 03-15-19, 02:06 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'm not sure I can even call myself an enthusiast lately, since I've only been riding for commuting for about 6 months*. But since I do it every workday, regardless of conditions, most people look at it as "hard-core" or at least dedicated. So can I be hard-core but not enthusiast?

*to clarify I mean, my only riding for 6 months has been commuting. I've been bike-only commuting for about 12 years, but previously doubled my commuting miles on the road.

Last edited by wphamilton; 03-17-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 10:25 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
...Labels matter to some. I have a 70+yo friend who bicycled 24,000+ miles in one year a couple of years ago. He likes to be considered an endurance cyclist.

Numerous times before my surgeries when being checked on by the attending doctors the nurses would mention that "he's an athlete" as the docs looked at my heart rate in the low 40's and then noticing that during the EKG it was 39bpm ONLY because I had to move around to raise it from the 32bpm after they hooked me up. ...

Latest surgery was less than a year ago when I was soon to be 68yo.
On a few threads I have posted my own definition of a hardcore cyclist, for example:
What would you guess how far the AVERAGE cyclist rides in a day ?

I think you would have to ask this question individually for the various SUBSETS of cyclists for example as addressed to the various Forums on BF, i.e: Adaptive, Commuting, Recreational, Road/Long Distance, Racing, Touring, Utility.

Some of my personal benchmarks have been 5000 miles per year (never attained), and 10,000 miles per year to be a “hardcore” cyclist. When I toured years ago, including a cross-country ride, 50 miles a day was an average goal….
That figure IMO does not necessarily apply to a cyclist with a family with “dependents” and a full time job.
…I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities…
For the past few years I have referred to myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist to include (formerly) touring, and currently year-round cycle commuting, and road cycling in the nice weather.

BTW when I was at my best about age 60 I monitored my resting heart rate, almost daily, as a sign of fitness at a usual 46-48 bpm.
Old 03-16-19, 07:08 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Interesting to me is that there seems to be the notion of value judgments here. As if being "hardcore" is better than being casual or casual is better than being hardcore. Both notions are nonsense.

I qualify as hardcore on so many levels. I have all the equipment. I ride oodles of miles, including commuting. I do crazy long rides, and have even raced RAW and RAAM. Most of my friends are cyclists (great folks), and I advocate for cycling infrastructures and education.

Objectively, that's hardcore I guess. But it doesn't feel like it. I'm just doing what makes sense at the time.

I ride lots because I live where the traffic SUX and I have a great bike path. I have all the equipment because I've been at it for 30 years or more. I do crazy long rides, cuz they're fun and for me, they are not difficult (probably all the commuting). Ditto the RAW and RAAM ... I was just lucky to get the opportunity.

Does that make my cycling any more important, desirable or relevant to anyone else? Nah. Does it make it any worse? Hell no. We're all doing what we're most comfortable with for whatever reason. It's all good.
Agreed!!! As an over 60 'near-Clyde', and have been riding for over 40+ years, what would you call a guy who still manages to commute 12.5 miles to work (during NE Ohio's summer season) at ~20mph riding speed on a lugged steel 24-30 pound (as-ridden) bike? My coworkers think I'm nuts!

I only wish that I had the time due to home/family constraints to ride more than I do! I'd LOVE to to ride across the country, or even another multi-week tour. I've planned out several of the latter should the opportunity arise!

I have multiple classic mid-grade road bikes, a classic mid-grade touring bike, a classic mid-grade (hardtail) MTB, in addition to a classic three-speed! I have the bases covered!!!

I ride by - and against- myself and my previous best time for a given route measured by wristwatch, not Strava...Am I expecting to ride- or place- in the TdF or RAAM? No. I'm just your average Fred.

I've been a member of Rails-to-Trails since it's inception in 1986 because I believe in the cause, yet I have yet to log mile-one on a rail-trail!
Old 03-16-19, 07:30 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I look at it this way, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.
Old 03-19-19, 06:47 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is pretty much me. My family thinks I'm a cycling nut case. I'm just thankful to be able to ride. It's my therapy. Cargo shorts and sandals are my favorite cycling attire.
Old 03-19-19, 07:08 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
The dirty little secret here, is that some of the nicest bikes you see here are almost never ridden. It's a shame, but until the day our govt confiscates all fancy vintage bikes and redistributes them equally among needy riders, it's a situation that's here to stay. I kinda secretly wish someone would steal all of mine and I could start all over again, but if I wanted that situation bad enough, I'm sure i could make it happen.

I am not sure whether I am an enthusiast or hard core.

I regularly ride more than 5K miles a year.

I own lots of cycling clothing.

I love buying cycling tech.

I own several very nice bikes (and I ride them all)

When I am not riding my bikes, I am thinking about riding my bikes.

My wife waves to me as I leave the house with a question, “is your life insurance up to date?”

My dogs looks at me as I leave for a ride as if to ask, “did you leave us enough kibbles and water for the rest of the day?”

Am I hardcore or just an enthusiast?

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 03-19-19 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-19-19, 07:24 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Ky_Rider
This is pretty much me. My family thinks I'm a cycling nut case. I'm just thankful to be able to ride. It's my therapy. Cargo shorts and sandals are my favorite cycling attire.
Given the recent So.Cal. painted lady butterfly mass migration, six butterflies during one ride would be a very low number.
Old 03-20-19, 05:40 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I'm as hardcore as I want to be. To me, racers are hardcore. I have a lot of friends who are racers. They train to power and constantly do interval training.

I plan on doing long endurance rides this year. I've got a 75, 68, 140, 100, 100, 112 mile rides planned this summer. I did Zwift consistently during the winter and I ride four times a week. My bank account says I'm hardcore, but my legs say otherwise.

My goal is to be in good enough shape to do endurance rides and not get dropped on the slightest hint of a hill. I saw a video on Youtube and they were asking Cat racers how many hours a week they train. Most of them train 10 to 12 hours a week. Even though I have a power meter, I don't let the numbers get in the way of enjoying my rides.
Old 03-21-19, 12:29 PM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
When I was very young e.g. below 25 I rode quite a bit. I had a Trek 400 touring bike and I put in a lot of miles around where I lived. I never would wear "cycling clothes" and always thought those who did were ridiculous. In fact I was pretty much anti-bike clothes and paraphernalia. Fast forward to many years later, post young kids etc. I started riding again and I went on 30 mile ride on a cinder path as part of a club ride. At about 20 miles my butt was having some serious pain, my wife who was wearing cycling pants with a pad was having a good time riding and laughing at me for having to keep standing up. Fast forward a year after that and I buy a new carbon fiber road bike and .... cycling clothes including those ridiculous stiff shoes. After going out on a few rides and loving how comfortable I am putting in 25 - 35 miles on a regular basis and going on a 85 mile charity ride (MS Ride) I will never go back to the days of sneakers and essentially gym shorts and a t-shirt on a ride.

I really do believe that maximizing your comfort really helps you to increase your distance and I don't ride long distances for the sake of it or to check a box so to speak. I just find it very enjoyable to leave my house and travel winding roads without many cars and wind up 20 miles from home at a lake or something, chill for a bit and go home. I kind of think of it as analogous to a golf outing (I don't golf) where you do 18 holes, have lunch and a beer and your gone form home for 3 or 4 hours. The bottom line is for me, being more comfortable having shoes that maximize muscle input to the pedal is the way to go.

Of course I do hear the snide remarks between the young couple behind me in the coffee shop who think some guy in his 50's ought not to be wearing Lycra but you get over it. I have had to point out to a biker or 2 along the way that the leather jacket, patches and bandanna are part of your club's getup just like mine. And oh by the way your 20 years younger 30 pounds fatter and can't propel yourself 10 miles without an engine.
Old 03-21-19, 01:57 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I belong to a non-racing club, and I do rides with them as social events. Still, riding faster opens up more (further) destinations, so most of the group tries to 'push the pace' and get stronger/faster throughout the season. So a good mid-summer ride for me might be a 30-mile evening ride at 19 or 20 mph, or a 45-60 mile Saturday ride at only a little slower. I don't ride at all in the winter. Am I hardcore, or just an enthusiast? You tell me.
Old 03-21-19, 02:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
After a 9 month tour of Ireland and Scotland that featured a lot of hanging out, , playing music on my mandolin,
with others along the way, In Pubs and campgrounds,

20 years ago I had a friend in a new town who found an apartment , In this town, where I've rarely left , since..

Old 03-21-19, 09:36 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
i'm not sure about labels as we all read/interpret labels differently.

68yo, 35 years continuously a road cyclist, only the most modest foray into mountain bikes years ago.
Probably 3,000 - 4,000 miles most years, more in others.
Only 2 notable accidents, 1 broken collar bone, 1 very minor concussion.
Never hit by a car.

I like riding friction shifters and brifter bikes.
Settled on Campy components mostly, but not exclusively.
Decided that of all my hobbies, cycling would be the most rewarding to have 'a collection'.
Bikes listed in sig line represent version 3 of the vintage collection.

But I love tubular wheels and I can hop on any of the bikes and crank out a metric century.
Label me = almost hardcore, but too old to live it daily.

(it's a loose fitting vest - that's not ALL gut)

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-21-19 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-22-19, 05:32 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Impressive flat back. By chance, is Cyrille Guimard coaching you these days? I never understood people who think a person should sit upright on a bike as though they're playing a freakin' piano or driving a tractor. That is THE most unpleasant way to sit on a bike as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-22-19, 07:38 AM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Have no idea where I would fit in this discussion. At 80 I am currently riding over 100 mi a week averaging around 13 mph. Have expensive and cheap bikes. Ride clipless with full kit. No power meter. Like to beat myself. Always study Strava after rides to see if anything got better or worse. Riding slow is no fun, fast is out of the question, so distance is the main goal/objective. Currently training for a century in early May with a goal of finishing in under 8 hours but will try hard to beat my best time five years ago - under 7 hours. Limited experimenting with reverse doping to evaluate how daily pills change my rides. As a result I convinced doc to take me off statins for a roughly 10% improvement. Now testing impact of dropping asprin so far it looks like stats won't change but feeling body parts, especially lower legs, will be more noticeable. Always pissed at how Strave, Zwift and others totally ignore older riders. I talk a lot about that - but nobody listens. I started an Over 80 club on Strava - zero members so far.
Old 03-22-19, 07:57 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Like Déjà vu all over again.

In my case, I often start my 100+ milers at midnight with iPod playing ----*----- and my friends call me Psycho

Labels matter to some. I have a 70+yo friend who bicycled 24,000+ miles in one year a couple of years ago. He likes to be considered an endurance cyclist. Numerous times before my surgeries when being checked on by the attending doctors the nurses would mention that "he's an athlete" as the docs looked at my heart rate in the low 40's and then noticing that during the EKG it was 39bpm ONLY because I had to move around to raise it from the 32bpm after they hooked me up. Especially important info for the anesthesiologist when I get put under. Latest surgery was less than a year ago when I was soon to be 68yo.
*lurking in the 50+ forums cause currently have nothing to do in office.
*that said i'm pretty sure the psycho comment is cause of the abba.*
Old 03-22-19, 11:12 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Enthusiast but not hard core, Others?
Originally Posted by sd5782
Of course, all here are certainly enthusiasts or they would not be here on the forum. I see lots of posts here and on the C&V forum of guys who are obviously pretty racy and quite engaged. Certainly they are/were athletic at any age.

I however never had the lungs to be too athletic, nor the physique to go that route. I have had a bike or two all my life though. Now that I am older, I have a few more; a hybrid, a 3-speed, and an 80s "fast" bike.

I just wondered how many lurkers here are like me and don't have riding clothes, don't wear a helmet, ride weekly vs daily, etc. We still enjoy, but usually have a casual solitary ride
This thread seem to be a re-hash of previous discussions, like:Bike Riding vs Cycling,” e.g,
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
You guys crack me up. I've been away from the forum for a while, and I come back to find a thread with 88 comments on it discussing whether it's "cycling" or "biking." Only in the 50+ group!
Since you've been away, you may not realize that biking = cycling ≠ bike riding.
…Yada, yada, yada…
Originally Posted by Wildwood
i'm not sure about labels as we all read/interpret labels differently.

68yo, 35 years continuously a road cyclist, only the most modest foray into mountain bikes years ago.
Probably 3,000 - 4,000 miles most years, more in others.
Only 2 notable accidents, 1 broken collar bone, 1 very minor concussion.
Never hit by a car.

I like riding friction shifters and brifter bikes.
Settled on Campy components mostly, but not exclusively.
Decided that of all my hobbies, cycling would be the most rewarding to have 'a collection'.
Bikes listed in sig line represent version 3 of the vintage collection.

But I love tubular wheels and I can hop on any of the bikes and crank out a metric century.
Label me = almost hardcore, but too old to live it daily.
Nicely said @Wildwood,”We all read/interpret labels differently." So, to claim the label of “hardcore' vs enthusiast"(“cyclist vs “bike rider”), present your credentials and let us decide
:
I do agree that there probably is a difference between bike riding and cycling, though I think the difference is decided by the one who cares.

For me, the breakpoint is probably pretty high, e.g.,
… a coast to coast tour is at the very least a major “cycling credential.”
Though I'm interested and post about it, I really don't particularly care . .
Originally Posted by Maelochs
…I have done two cross-country tours and I don’t care.

You’re no cyclist.
I describe my riding experience as a cycling lifestyle (of 40 years). I once listed as my credentials: a carbon fiber bike, year-round cycle-commuting, a cross-country tour, and a serious car-bike accident

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-22-19 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-22-19, 11:27 AM
toasterbike

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Rockhopper GX, 1990 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely an enthusiast here.

I really enjoy working on our bikes and hunting for tools and parts. I guess the speed of the ride depends on which bike I'm on and how the weather is! I just sold my minty '89 Cannondale SR300 that I used to love speeding on, but I've still got the '96 Rockhopper I built for commuting/touring/exploring. I think the fastest that Rockhopper has ever been was 16mph downhill

I don't know there's something nice about taking it easy and seeing how far you can go. I like singletrack/multitrack too but I always fear I'm going to fall and break something on the bike.
Old 03-22-19, 12:19 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I think the whole question is similar to how I describe other drivers when I'm driving a car. People going slower than me are idiots; people going faster than me are assh0les.

On a bike you have to be an enthusiast to ride as fast as I do. If you go faster, you must be hard-core.
Old 03-22-19, 01:54 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 373 Posts
I was "hardcore" when I was younger but I just bought a 31# touring bike. I'm enjoying the slower pace; more time for pie breaks.
Old 03-23-19, 12:14 PM
KCC74
Rebuilding

Bikes: Schwinns: 72 Sports Tourer, 74? Super Sport; Tresome 2.0 Hybrid

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm one of the few bikers in the middle of flat North Dakota - I wear my helmet on the highway rides, but I don't see the need in my quick trips around my small town (the few drivers are easy to dodge). As a rule, my ride times are alone and @ 15-20 miles. I am definitely a slow, casual biker. I like that I can be outside in beautiful weather and not have the sun set till @ 10:00 pm.

I've gotten more involved with biking since I refurbished my 1st bike - a 1974 Schwinn Super Sport (bought with hs graduation money). I recently bought a 1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer (complete Classic/Vintage guy) at a rummage sale and this winter did the same to it - can't wait for the snow to melt.

I intend to bike more this summer. I want to see if I can do 50 miles consistently and then who knows. . . . I also intend to go to a nearby river valley and finally ride up & down a couple hills.

Just important to ride.
KCC
Old 03-23-19, 08:41 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Even though I only raced a handful of times in my "youth", I considered myself hardcore for a long time. I had one period of riding with a challenging group from 2009-2014 but always used to push hard riding alone.

I've become more of a commuter and still ride kind of hard going where I'm going. I'm not really into "dressing out" for a recreational ride anymore - I think the last time I put the bibs and a jersey on was nearly 3 months ago. Non-cyclists I know think I'm hardcore though, and that's what counts, right?!
Old 03-23-19, 11:03 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts

[QUOTE=toasterbike;20850200sold my minty '89 Cannondale SR300 that I used to love speeding on, but I've still got the '96 Rockhopper I built for commuting/touring/exploring..[/QUOTE]
I’m with you brotha! Sold the racing bikes. Traded one for a Rockhopper I built into a Grant Peterson type build. Bought myself a Surly Cross Check for Christmas. Just enjoying riding, don’t care about how fast. Far? As far as I feel that day!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.