Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Embarrassed? ????

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 10:00 PM
Freedom2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just cant cant bring myself to wear the man tights, spandex. Do they really help with riding that much. I was at a barbecue at a friends and someone walked in full riding gear. Not good
Old 06-11-15, 10:04 PM
molten

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Freedom2015
I just cant cant bring myself to wear the man tights, spandex. Do they really help with riding that much. I was at a barbecue at a friends and someone walked in full riding gear. Not good
Then don't do it; this be an addictive, expensive, co$tly $port.
Old 06-11-15, 10:13 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I wear swim trunks over my cycling shorts for the betterment of mankind. Old fat guys in spandex is just plain wrong.
Old 06-11-15, 10:13 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I might have been embarrassed when I was young. But virtually no one wore bike gear in the 70s. I didn't take up riding again until a few years ago and once I started riding further I switched to bike shorts without a second thought. They're more comfortable. I suppose they might be a bit revealing for social occasions though.

(edit - I'm just old, not fat. Since I started riding I'm down to about what I was at 17.)
Old 06-11-15, 10:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
No, I am not embarrassed. But then again, I only wear bike kit to ride my bike, not to walk around at bbqs.
Old 06-11-15, 11:03 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Nope. Not embarrassed at all. I wouldn't show up at a party or BBQ wearing full kit, but I would show up for a bike ride wearing cycling shorts and jersey. It is all about wearing what works for the activity. You wouldn't golf in work boots, or play basketball in wing tips. And you probably shouldn't go for a long bike ride in boxers, denim and cotton T shirts if you value comfort.

Frankly, I find it more embarrassing when I see grown men, and some women, wearing pro football jerseys when they haven't suited up on Sunday ever.
Old 06-11-15, 11:17 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
No, I am not embarrassed. But then again, I only wear bike kit to ride my bike, not to walk around at bbqs.
Same here. I ride with bib shorts and/or tights, but I really don't feel the need to subject the general public to my paunchy physique in stores or social occasions. If I'm running errands I wear a pair of baggy shorts over them. I always keep some wind pants and/or baggy shorts in my bike duffel bag so I can slip them on if I'm running errands before or after a ride. I certainly wouldn't prance around in gaudy lycra kit at a social event. That's just too dweebish.

On the other hand, I'm not really embarrassed to wear tight bib shorts or tights, I just don't think others like to look at it.
Old 06-11-15, 11:47 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shame of being married to a MAMIL, a Middle Aged Man In Lycra | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-12-15, 12:27 AM
Freedom2015

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's the advantage of wearing them, limiting wind resistance. If not racing, where every second counts, is it minimal difference.
Old 06-12-15, 03:09 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
What's the advantage of wearing them, limiting wind resistance. If not racing, where every second counts, is it minimal difference.
They're more comfortable than street clothes, no seams in tender places. Chamois to prevent chafing and saddle sores. Modern wicking fabric to pull sweat off your skin. Etc.
Old 06-12-15, 03:54 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
They're more comfortable than street clothes, no seams in tender places. Chamois to prevent chafing and saddle sores. Modern wicking fabric to pull sweat off your skin. Etc.
For me, cycling shorts, as well as tights in colder weather, allow maximum freedom of movement without constriction. Denim blue jeans would be at the opposite end of the spectrum. Its too bad they are associated with "serious" (read snobby) cyclists.

It's easy enough to throw on some lightweight baggy gym shorts when off the bike, in more social circumstances. Even that get-up though, IMO is a bit casual even for a barbeque, as well as being sweaty after a ride, unless with really good friends. .
Old 06-12-15, 03:59 AM
cloozoe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
[h=2]Anyone Else Embarrassed? ????[/h]Nope. As long as I wear my tutu over them, I feel I'm looking good.

There are baggy biking shorts available with light weight, wicking fabric, padding. Lack the aerodynamic advantage of skin-tight spandex, though, so you'll probably lose .147 mph, which, as we all know, is crucially important for recreational riders.
Old 06-12-15, 04:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I'm a woman and I have been wearing full cycling kit when I ride (and before and after cycling a little bit) for almost 25 years now. Nope. Not embarrassed.
Old 06-12-15, 04:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Comfort.

It's like when you go to the swimming pool. You wouldn't hop in wearing office attire ... you wear a bathing suit.

Or if you're going to run on the treadmill at the gym ... you probably wouldn't run in a pencil skirt and high heels.

It's all about the right tool for the job.
Old 06-12-15, 04:45 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Taking It Further...

Originally Posted by MRT2
Frankly, I find it more embarrassing when I see grown men, and some women, wearing pro football jerseys when they haven't suited up on Sunday ever.
This is SO TRUE! I'm in my mid 50s, and have come to believe that it's not dignified for mature men (leaving women out of this) to wear sports gear other than when at a sporting event and joining the crowd to root for their team. Maybe this extends to one's living room on game day, if there's a sports party or somesuch. But out in public, or at a restaurant - not good. This also goes for "young clothes", cockeyed flat-billed NY Yankees caps, or ball caps in general, for that matter.

Men should wear clothes that reflect their age and are respectful of their surroundings. Picnic at the local park? Go ahead and wear sporting clothes or shorts. Dinner out with the wife? Wear slacks and a nice shirt, and nice shoes. C'mon...

Um, and I don't worry about wearing cycling clothes. Like others have said above, I wouldn't wear to a bbq with non-cyclists. If I'm riding to a public event, I'll wear baggy MTB shorts and a tech polo shirt. Switch shoes and presto!

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 06-12-15 at 04:46 AM. Reason: many typos
Old 06-12-15, 05:21 AM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At first I thought it was but now I don't give a rats A$$. The chamois is more comfortable but you can use a chamois liner short and wear baggy shorts over them...I don't go anywhere else but on my ride on my tights.
Old 06-12-15, 05:23 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The majority of the group rides I do end with a social gathering at a local cafe, beer joint, or restaurant, and none of us are embarrassed to wear our cycling kit. Cycling kit is sensible and practical for the rides we do.

Do you people tell unattractive or ugly people to stay home because "nobody wants to see that"?
Old 06-12-15, 05:32 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tight bike shorts are even worse than tight tops. The benefits of tight shorts with padded crotches matter only to racers and mega-milers. For anybody else, and for recreational rides, even vigorous ones lasting the better part of a day, a good saddle, smooth-seamed shorts, and standing up now and then are all you need.
Petersen, Grant (2012-05-08). Just Ride: A Radically Practical Guide to Riding Your Bike
Old 06-12-15, 05:33 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
No? What is this high school?
Old 06-12-15, 05:36 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I'd give up cycling if that stuff was a requirement.

Look at mountain-biking, especially the all-mountain crowd. Pick up a pair of "baggies".
Old 06-12-15, 05:41 AM
JGM411

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2 2014(i think) Giant Defy Advanced 2 2013 Trek 7.3, 1973 Schwinn Continental, 1967 AMF Hercules

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Riding with proper cycling clothing is much more comfortable. Many non-cyclists do not understand the reason or need for cycling clothing, but in my mind that is their issue. With that said, I ride early in the morning, starting at 4;30 am so there are very few people who see me. In addition, I have some bagging bike shorts with a chamois liner. During day time rides I sometimes wear them or if I would ride with friends I would use them.

In other words, there are alternatives to the tight fitting lycra bike shorts.
Old 06-12-15, 05:42 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
that is not the advantage of wearing them...there is a difference between a regular kit and a skin suit...if you are going to make a definitive statement, it is nice to know what you are talking about.
Old 06-12-15, 05:45 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I really have a hard time seeing manhood dissipate like it has in this thread...
wear what you want when you want...if someone else does not like it, that is their problem...
if you like bike shorts and jerseys, wear them... if not don't...what someone else does is not your problem.
Old 06-12-15, 06:01 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Great article! I kind of have the philosophy I've seen espoused in threads about lighter bikes. Maximize the engine first. My engine is good enough for my needs. Wearing a second skin will not appreciably improve my performance or my generally good looks. I wear what I refer to as tapered mountain shorts, and various weights of merino wool active wear for shirt when riding longer distances. These shirts are multi-purpose for many activities I pursue. If just going to run short errand may hop on commuter in street clothes. That bike has platform/clipless combo. I bought my first jersey this year as I wasn't liking how my phone rode in my leg pocket. It's full cut, I just wanted the back pocket. Found a great bargain on closeout. Also I like that it's just a simple two tone grey white color scheme. More than the unseemly fit, I fail to understand the garish nature of most cycling jersey's; unless of course you want to pay me for those sponsorships. If you really want to be a trend setter how about a full body shave and a jock strap
Old 06-12-15, 06:25 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
"Eat to please thyself, but dress to please others.” - Benjamin Franklin

Everyone should have a normal amount of modesty... as well as the self-confidence that promotes their own distinctive sense of style. But often times the refusal to wear the conventionally accepted fashions is just a form or reverse snobbery. Or someone trying to draw attention to themselves by standing out in unconventional outfits (hence, old Ben's quote).

There isn't anything "wrong" with cycling gear! Wearing the clothing/equipment/gear/costume (whatever you want to call it) is all part of the enjoyment of being part of a hobby/sport. Join in with the rest of us and have some fun. Plus... cycling specific gear really does have beneficial functions.

All that said/posted. Wear whatever you like! You're no less of a man, woman, or a cyclist just because you want to be different. There is a little bit of Fred in all of us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.