Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

SPD cleats VS Delta

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

SPD cleats VS Delta

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-17, 08:48 PM
scottmcd

Bikes: Kona ESATTO DDL Cinelli Zydeco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPD cleats VS Delta

Tried searching this first could not find anything. Is there any real performance difference between the 2. Or functional difference? I currently have SPD type.

Thanks
Old 10-05-17, 09:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Deltas are dinosaurs. The original LOOK pedal and cleat.

I ride Delta cleats and Forte LOOK compatible copies on my good bike, using the black (no-float) cleats. They work just fine. I will have to upgrade to KEO (LOOK's upgrade of the Delta system) or SPD-SL (Shimano's entry into the LOOK-style pedal or Speedplay Zero (which are completely different) when my stash of pedals and cleats run out to keep the no-float (and my knees).

I have never used the Delta red (float) cleats and when I have used SPDs I have the toe-in cranked to the max so there really isn't float in the normal sense, hence I cannot answer for you the difference in the two pedals. (No-float is no-float and the pedal makes very little difference. My toeclips and traditional cleats ride just like my black Deltas.)

Both systems (Delta and SPD) are well proven. They have nothing in common beyond working really well.

Ben
Old 10-06-17, 12:54 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Use the cleats that fit your pedals. They don't interchange.
Old 10-06-17, 08:18 PM
scottmcd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess my direct question is there a performance difference between the two? one being a better platform that the other.
I know they don't interchange,

Thank you
Old 10-07-17, 06:03 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I don't know about Delta but I use either SPD or SPD-SL (like Delta). The SPD-SL's feel firmer under foot and are the system used by high performance road shoes so there is a synergy between the shoes and the cleats that's a little difficult to separate just the cleat system.

The SPD system has it for walkability and probably doesn't give up that much in outright performance. SPD-SL's have a more solid connection between your shoe and pedal and they are more comfortable when just riding although they are pretty ordinary for walking.

The differences aren't huge. If your only doing 40-50km and walkability is an issue then stick to SPD. If your putting in big distances and your prepared to sacrifice walkability then try road shoes/cleats/pedals.
Old 10-07-17, 10:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
3 bolt systems just by their bolt hole pattern being spread in three directions allow for stiffer soles which make for less loss of power in the transfer from rider to pedals.

2 bolt systems on the same design shoe with the same sole will have more flex which is where the power gets lost.

2 bolt systems being more compact allowed for more tread so you can walk. They also allow for a sole design that sheds mud better. That and some other things is probably why they are favored by mountain bikers and they came to be known as mountain bike cleats.

I only ride road bikes. I use 2 bolt spd's. I want to be able to walk without looking like a duck or slipping and busting my butt as I saw one rider do when the got off his bike to snap a quick picture from the roadside.

However the last time I went to the bike store and talked to the salesman about shoes, he told me things have been changing and 3-bolt systems are now easier to walk in. Don't know myself though.
Old 10-07-17, 10:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Look type cleats in road stiff sole shoes offer a wider support

often 3 bolt sole also has the 2 bolt Spud cleat mount in the center..

To walk much, you probably want a recessed, cleat, rubber sole , type SPuD shoe..

Or change to the "Podium shoes" , regular running shoes, (Or Adidas Slides sandals)

Old 10-07-17, 09:29 PM
scottmcd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!!
Old 10-07-17, 10:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
A couple of points. There is no reason a 2-bot shoe cannot be plenty stiff. It would cost a couple of grams of additional carbon fiber and resin and a few hours of engineering. Completely doable. My not so expensive Giro 2-bolt MTB shoes aren't super stiff but quite adequate shoes as well as being quite walkable (and that's with an all plastic sole, not carbon fiber.

Also you can make the LOOK style shoes and cleats (Delta, Keo, SPL-SL) a lot better/safer to walk in. Buy $18 KoolKovers, rubber caps you put over the cleats. The walk is still unnatural, but the shoes are no longer slippery and you are not killing your cleats. They come with a carabiner so you can hang them from your seat bag. They pay for themselves with cleat lifer extended. That you don't fall and break your tailbone is just a perk.

Ben
Old 10-14-17, 01:16 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A couple of points. There is no reason a 2-bot shoe cannot be plenty stiff. It would cost a couple of grams of additional carbon fiber and resin and a few hours of engineering. Completely doable. My not so expensive Giro 2-bolt MTB shoes aren't super stiff but quite adequate shoes as well as being quite walkable (and that's with an all plastic sole, not carbon fiber.

Also you can make the LOOK style shoes and cleats (Delta, Keo, SPL-SL) a lot better/safer to walk in. Buy $18 KoolKovers, rubber caps you put over the cleats. The walk is still unnatural, but the shoes are no longer slippery and you are not killing your cleats. They come with a carabiner so you can hang them from your seat bag. They pay for themselves with cleat lifer extended. That you don't fall and break your tailbone is just a perk.

Ben
The newer walkable cleats from Speedplay are a big improvement. With them, the issue becomes as much about the stiff sole of the shoe rather than the walkability due to the cleat. At least that's what it is for me - I have a pair of mtb shoes that are the same as my road shoes except they have a two hole pattern and treads. Both shoes have identical uppers and both have a very stiff carbon sole.

But that said, the road shoe/pedal pair is more comfortable for miles on the road than the mtb shoe.