Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New road bike, feeling like it was a mistake

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New road bike, feeling like it was a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-18, 08:08 AM
skidad21774

Bikes: Diverge, Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vq30de

It’s a fabulous bike so far, I highly recommend it. I think it will hold up well. I was advised that the lower weight limit is a function of the brakes, specifically the mounting of the brakes. That applies to rim brakes, not the discs. Irrespective, I wouldn’t worry about it, especially since you are in fact under the limit. Ive been riding the hell out of it, and will update once I have some real miles on it. First hand experience far outweighs speculation...

Im in northern Niagara County. Dying to get into skiing in fact. My wife has lost almost 100lbs as well and we want to find something to do in the winter. She has expressed interest in cross country skiing, so I’m hoping to find a way to try that out this winter
That’s awesome! I’ve never tried XC skiing... MD doesnt get enough to justify the gear. Would luv to try sometime. So... I did it. Test drove three different Sport models yesterday. got the best deal on an ‘18 model in stock. Has the mechnical disc.... which are more than adequate (have them on my Diverge). Biggest upgrade is going to the 105, and all carbon. Love the feel. Ill post pics later.... heading to the shop in a bit.
Old 09-01-18, 09:34 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
The only discs I've ever ridden have been hydraulic (Shimano and Avid/SRAM), and they are great. I would be curious to test-ride a bike with mechanical discs, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to buy one.
i admit. My Ridley had TRP Spyre mechanical. I swapped to Ultegra 6800 hydro. I was favourably impressed — much much much prefer the hydro.
Old 09-27-18, 07:28 AM
Vq30de

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick update - I have put some good miles (300+) on the bike and like it more and more. My butt is cool with the saddle finally. Did a 60 mile ride a few weeks ago - no problems at all. No weird noises. The wheels are holding up very well. They both are perfectly true. I have ridden ****ty urban streets, chip seal, light gravel, and no issues whatsoever. I check air pressure every time, and ride light religiously.
I will update this thread periodically, it’s far more helpful to have first hand knowledge than speculation!
Old 09-27-18, 08:54 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
I check air pressure every time, and ride light religiously.
That's good. Ride light, and keep praying
Old 09-27-18, 09:21 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
one interesting thing of note - I called my insurance company to see if it would be covered under my homeowners in the event of a loss (theft). They advised that I have the option to schedule it on my policy for $200/yr, and it’ll cover any loss, not just theft, with no deductible. I specifically asked about folding a wheel in half hitting a pot hole, and they said yes that would be covered. So even if I do (catastrophically) break a wheel it looks like I’ll be in good shape. Thought I’d pass this along in case anyone here wants to do the same
Be very wary of claiming "small amounts" on your home contents policy... sure "you can" but very likely next renewal they'll jack up your rates. Then if you try to change elsewhere the new applicant will see your claims history & also charge accordingly... etc etc. Like any other gamble you'll never win against the house.

Personally I'd only make claim for "big disastrous amounts" on home policy, imho that's what it's there for - infrequent unlikely losses.

Smaller amts of higher likelihood, either self insure or buy separate policy.
Old 09-28-18, 05:07 AM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Very nice bike, it should serve you well.
Old 10-21-18, 08:04 PM
69isfine

Bikes: 2016 Giant Comax Fastroad, 2013 Norco Bigfoot Fat Bike,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting parallel to my evolution with bikes. I bought a diamondback hybrid from a pawn shop to see if cycling was going to work for me. Then bought a used aluminum road bike, and after a bike accident, a CX bike. Now I’m on a Giant flat bar carbon road bike. On the last purchase, the shop did a fitting and then proposed a bike. I had another one in mind but it was not comparable for comfort based on my riding position. The shop and I also discussed point of sale changes to help with my concerns about weight. Gatorskin 28 mm tires, and rims were changes made at no extra cost.

Im not sure if the noise is derailluers or bearings. Definitely a great bike. I think a fitting, and a review of rims and tires will do it for you. Also, shift early so you are not stuck in a bad gear.

Good luck!