Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Univega Viva Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 11:54 PM
chiyama

Bikes: 1983 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Univega Viva Sport

Found a Univega Viva Sport that I'm thinking about doing a 650b conversion. I've been reading about it and it seems like the Viva Sport was towards the bottom end for Univega. Does anyone have more info on it?

Seller is asking for $120.

https://slo.craigslist.org/bik/d/uni...746094433.html
Old 11-15-18, 01:49 AM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I owned a low end Univega. Based on great appearance from a distance $120 is good. Dont know book price. Trying to offer lower could be embarrassing. Dont know paint condition, rust or bent or replaced parts. Dont add for the rack.

After buying the bike make sure it is legal and register it or get papers and reregister it.
Old 11-15-18, 06:43 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The Viva Sport was an upper entry level to lower mid-range model, depending on the exact year. The subject bicycle appears to be a circa 1983 model and fully OEM, except for a replacement saddle and the addition of the rack and cage. The derailleurs are definitely SunTour BL with Symmetric shift levers.The brakes appear to be the original, ubiquitous, Dia-Compe 500G. The crankset appears to be a correct Sakae CX. The hubs should be Sanshin/Sunshine and are laced to 27" Araya (16A?) aluminum rims, The stem and bars should be SR, Custom and Road Champion respectively. The seat post is an SR CT-P6C, which is one of those hybrids with a traditional saddle clamp and melt forged pillar. The frame should made by Miyata using double butted CrMo main tubes, Managalight forks and hi-tensile stays. Weight should be in the mid-20s.

This is a fairly nice bicycle and would be nice for recreational touring or commuting. Cosmetic condition appears slightly above average and I don't see any major concerns. The price seems fair. I'd say it is definitely worth a look. If the OP purchases the bicycle, I'd appreciate the serial number for my database.TIA.

Last edited by T-Mar; 11-15-18 at 06:50 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-15-18, 10:19 AM
chiyama

Bikes: 1983 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Bianchi Virata

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The Viva Sport was an upper entry level to lower mid-range model, depending on the exact year. The subject bicycle appears to be a circa 1983 model and fully OEM, except for a replacement saddle and the addition of the rack and cage. The derailleurs are definitely SunTour BL with Symmetric shift levers.The brakes appear to be the original, ubiquitous, Dia-Compe 500G. The crankset appears to be a correct Sakae CX. The hubs should be Sanshin/Sunshine and are laced to 27" Araya (16A?) aluminum rims, The stem and bars should be SR, Custom and Road Champion respectively. The seat post is an SR CT-P6C, which is one of those hybrids with a traditional saddle clamp and melt forged pillar. The frame should made by Miyata using double butted CrMo main tubes, Managalight forks and hi-tensile stays. Weight should be in the mid-20s.

This is a fairly nice bicycle and would be nice for recreational touring or commuting. Cosmetic condition appears slightly above average and I don't see any major concerns. The price seems fair. I'd say it is definitely worth a look. If the OP purchases the bicycle, I'd appreciate the serial number for my database.TIA.
Thanks for all the info T-Mar. I actually found another bike I'm more interested in, a Nishiki Cresta. I'll be making another thread about it. I'm hoping you can give me some info on that as well!
Old 11-15-18, 10:34 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by chiyama
Thanks for all the info T-Mar. I actually found another bike I'm more interested in, a Nishiki Cresta. I'll be making another thread about it. I'm hoping you can give me some info on that as well!
Most likely, as I quite familiar with Nishiki. An early Cresta would be from the same era and roughly equivalent, though they were designed more for light touring, with the big feature being a triple crankset. By the late 1980s, the Cresta had evolved into a true grand touring bicycle, with cantilever brakes.
Old 11-15-18, 08:10 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Univega bikes were built to very high standards. They were well made durable items. Tough and strong. If you can get one cheap enough they can make up for $2X in a trade or sell arrangement. They also make for very good upright city bike conversions. $120 is a reasonable price for that bike unless it has something wrong with the wheels or frame. Be good. Have fun.