Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIV

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIV

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 06:02 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I have a tire question. It actually involves tubeless tires/rims. But it's not bike related.

The kids' car rear tires both have slow leaks. They are way too slow to isolate. One drops about 5 PSI/week. The other a little less. It's an old car with old rims and new tires. I try to get the kids to just pump up the tires at WaWa every 2 weeks when they get gas, but they are slackers so dad ends up doing the job. Sad.

I am suspicious there is just a slight crack or leak at the rim/tire interface but again I can't find it.

I know there are products sold at Auto Parts stores that seal leaks, and I am guessing these are just fancier versions of the goop people run in tubeless bicycle tires.

I am inclined to try this, any pros/cons??
Are you sure there isn’t a nail? The repair people won’t touch a tire that has goop in it. They just throw it away.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-23-19, 06:07 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by datlas
I will investigate both of those areas we are not hitting on this ride and consider them for next time. The issue is my club is really based on West Chester and going from there to Hawk Mountain and back is really a 2 day event, and our rides are supposed to be one day.

To make it one day, we have to start closer to the destination, which is what we are doing starting in Pottstown.
Tell Mrs. Smith hello for me. My hero.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-23-19, 07:29 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus
I use dihydrogen monoxide

Are you NEW here? There is no logic the the greater 41. It's either, just fine or it's gonna asplode, regardless of what material is being discussed.
You could mix in a little evaporated cane extract for energy.

Old 05-23-19, 07:33 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13710 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 2,503 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Here comes the rain again.
I'm sure somebody's got this covered.
Old 05-23-19, 07:36 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

yup
Old 05-24-19, 06:16 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Busy time of year for Mrs. T and me. We've had two visitation/funerals this week, meeting a rarely seen nephew for lunch today who happens to be in the area, and a graduation party, tonight. Then, it's time to pack for an Alaskan cruise. Add in the rain showers every day and finding time to ride and mow the yards is getting tough.

Still, I've ridden with Mrs.T a few times this week on our trikes. She's still too scared of falling to remount her upright.

Do hope to squeeze a ride in with Gianni this morning before our lunch date, then get the lawns mowed before the predicted rain arrives this afternoon and I have to go to a graduation party. Dang, retirement is hard.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 05-24-19 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-24-19, 06:25 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Oh, and since I'll probably miss the finish of today's stage of the Giro, I'll have to find time to watch the last 30k or so of the replay.

Old 05-24-19, 06:27 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Busy time of year for Mrs. T and me. We've had two visitation/funerals this week, meeting a rarely seen nephew for lunch today who happens to be in the area, and a graduation party, tonight. Then, it's time to pack for an Alaskan cruise. Add in the rain showers every day and finding time to ride and mow the yards is getting tough.

Still, I've ridden with Mrs.T a few times this week on our trikes. She's still too scared of falling to remount her upright.

Do hope to squeeze a ride in with Gianni this morning before our lunch date, then get the lawns mowed before the predicted rain arrives this afternoon and I have to go to a graduation party. Dang, retirement is hard.
Busy time of year, for sure. Glad the spouse is getting out!
Old 05-24-19, 06:32 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Busy time of year, for sure. Glad the spouse is getting out!
Yes, me, too. I was beginning to worry that she might be going down a mental rabbit hole with all of her injuries and stuff. In fact, she's off to OT again in a few minutes.

Trike riding isn't really her thing but she's decided that she needs to do something if she can't ride her upright.

Old 05-24-19, 06:42 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Yes, me, too. I was beginning to worry that she might be going down a mental rabbit hole with all of her injuries and stuff. In fact, she's off to OT again in a few minutes.

Trike riding isn't really her thing but she's decided that she needs to do something if she can't ride her upright.
Looks fast, anyway. One would think that getting back out on the road, experiencing its pleasures, and maintaining fitness might be a way of regaining confidence. Is she doing any balance work? That might help too.
Old 05-24-19, 06:59 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Looks fast, anyway. One would think that getting back out on the road, experiencing its pleasures, and maintaining fitness might be a way of regaining confidence. Is she doing any balance work? That might help too.
Yes. I think the fear of falling is just the fear of breaking more bones. I think her list from our tandem crash and her stair fall looks like this:

Crash 2016 August

pelvis x 3
clavicle
ribs x 3
sternum
vertebrae

Stairs 2018 September

pelvis x 2
clavicle
radius
vertebrae x 3
metacarpal
ribs x 2 or 3

I probably left a few fractures out because it’s getting too many to remember.

Old 05-24-19, 07:03 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Yes. I think the fear of falling is just the fear of breaking more bones. I think her list from our tandem crash and her stair fall looks like this:

Crash 2016 August

pelvis x 3
clavicle
ribs x 3
sternum
vertebrae

Stairs 2018 September

pelvis x 2
clavicle
radius
vertebrae x 3
metacarpal
ribs x 2 or 3

I got nothing.
Old 05-24-19, 07:10 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I got nothing.
Throw in breast cancer between the two accidents and it's no wonder her mental state is fragile.

BTW, I feel that she's actually handling things better than most would. I don't want to give the impression that she's struggling mentally or that her fears are irrational because she's a pretty well-founded and strong person. She'd just rather not go through this stuff, again. She is 68 so she could probably slow down a little.

Old 05-24-19, 07:13 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Stay strong.
Old 05-24-19, 07:18 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Crash 2016 August

pelvis x 3
clavicle
ribs x 3
sternum
vertebrae

Stairs 2018 September

pelvis x 2
clavicle
radius
vertebrae x 3
metacarpal
ribs x 2 or 3

I can see why she'd be cautious.

Where does this put her on the lifetime injury competition with you?
Old 05-24-19, 07:22 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by rjones28
I can see why she'd be cautious.

Where does this put her on the lifetime injury competition with you?
I'm still way ahead.

Besides numerous fractures in the '80s while racing, crashing in 2016, and being generally accident prone and a menace around sharp objects, she isn't even close. How many people can say they've broken both scapulas twice each?

I'll always have the 5 days on a ventilator after our tandem crash to laud over her.

Old 05-24-19, 07:29 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Throw in breast cancer between the two accidents and it's no wonder her mental state is fragile.

BTW, I feel that she's actually handling things better than most would. I don't want to give the impression that she's struggling mentally or that her fears are irrational because she's a pretty well-founded and strong person. She'd just rather not go through this stuff, again. She is 68 so she could probably slow down a little.
I never got that impression at all!

In my previous professional life I saw a lot of people dealing with issues like this, then my parents, and now, of course, my friends. My wife has bad osteoarthritis in her hips, knees, and back, which causes pain every day of her life, but she remains active and happy. On the whole, people play the hand they're dealt with courage and without catastrophizing, but that doesn't make it any less heartbreaking when it's our loved ones or any less impressive to think about how much people suffer in the aggregate.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 05-24-19 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-24-19, 07:44 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

In my previous professional life I saw a lot of people dealing with issues like this, then my parents, and now, of course, my friends. My wife has bad osteoarthritis in her hips, knees, and back, which causes pain every day of her life, but she remains active and happy. On the whole, people play the hand they're dealt without courage and without catastrophizing, but that doesn't make it any less heartbreaking when it's our loved ones or any less impressive to think about how much people suffer in the aggregate.
I remember back in 2009, I was taking 8 weeks of radiation after my aggressive prostate cancer returned. (I'd had a prostatectomy in 2003) I was feeling somewhat down and was in the ready room at the facility, sitting across from a gentleman with hardly any lower jaw left and he gave me as much of a smile as he could. I found that incredibly strong on his part. Over the next 8 weeks, I saw many a person there with way more going on than my piddly problem.

Old 05-24-19, 08:04 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I remember back in 2009, I was taking 8 weeks of radiation after my aggressive prostate cancer returned. (I'd had a prostatectomy in 2003) I was feeling somewhat down and was in the ready room at the facility, sitting across from a gentleman with hardly any lower jaw left and he gave me as much of a smile as he could. I found that incredibly strong on his part. Over the next 8 weeks, I saw many a person there with way more going on than my piddly problem.
Yeah, and maybe he was able to smile because he'd seen someone worse off than he. There's always someone.

Meant to write "with courage," above.
Old 05-24-19, 09:07 AM
rpenmanparker 

Glad to hear Mrs. T is getting out. You guys deserve a break.

The Alaska cruise will be wonderful. It was our first, and it inspired us to make cruising our major form of travel from then on. Just ask if there is anything you need to know. Which line are you cruising with.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-24-19, 09:10 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

I'm still way ahead.

Besides numerous fractures in the '80s while racing, crashing in 2016, and being generally accident prone and a menace around sharp objects, she isn't even close. How many people can say they've broken both scapulas twice each?

I'll always have the 5 days on a ventilator after our tandem crash to laud over her.
Not jealous.
Old 05-24-19, 09:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
So I decided to skip work on this fine day to take care of some things. Made a quick run to Whole Food for some stuff. Say what you want but the place, but I have never seen one of these in my local chain grocery store.

Old 05-24-19, 10:07 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Glad to hear Mrs. T is getting out. You guys deserve a break.

The Alaska cruise will be wonderful. It was our first, and it inspired us to make cruising our major form of travel from then on. Just ask if there is anything you need to know. Which line are you cruising with.
We usually cruise with Princess but this is a Disney cruise. My son is like a quad-platinum, ruby-encrusted, Captain's mate or something and they asked us to go with them so we are. He and his family only sail with the Mouse.

Old 05-24-19, 10:08 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

So I decided to skip work on this fine day to take care of some things. Made a quick run to Whole Food for some stuff. Say what you want but the place, but I have never seen one of these in my local chain grocery store.
No, but I've always marveled at the whole hanging sheep at my local Costco.

Old 05-24-19, 10:21 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Having a few people over for Memorial Day or just freezing the steaks?

Just pitched in a some money and signed a card for my boss's, boss's boss, who broke his hip in a cycling crash of some kind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.