Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Can someone explain?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Can someone explain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-19, 01:05 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Can someone explain?

Am I going crazy or is this salt coming out of my fork??

This is a Columbus Zona frameset made to order by Colossi, shipped direct to the local shop where it was built up. I noticed this stuff leaking out of the vent holes last couple times I washed the bike. I've put around 3000 km on it. Never been ridden anywhere but south Louisiana, where there is no real winter and the roads are never salted.
Old 04-11-19, 01:33 PM
shelgame

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 46 Posts
Flux?
Old 04-11-19, 01:39 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I agree, looks like flux. You might want to get some hot water inside the fork and allow it to soak for an hour or so and then flush it out with more water. Flux is acidic and will eat up the paint.
Old 04-11-19, 03:15 PM
David Tollefson

Bikes: Many... Up to 9 in the stable now

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Almost looks like dried linseed oil.
Old 04-11-19, 05:46 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by David Tollefson
Almost looks like dried linseed oil.
and if so it was squirted inside to prevent rust and the excess is now draining out. I heard from a builder that used to make frames in a production environment that they had problems with forks breaking from water used to rinse out the inside that eventually created rust but never had a problem with flux left after brazing.
Old 04-12-19, 04:20 AM
Canaboo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
What does excess frame saver look like?
Old 04-12-19, 06:45 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
IME this discharge is old flux. I've seen this a number of times on frames that have never seen a Frame Saver red hose. My assumption is that water has seeped into the vent hole and carried out some flux when the water tried to exit. Andy.
Old 04-12-19, 07:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
one way to tell if it's flux, heat it up and see if it turns to liquid. Not on the fork, of course. It's a bit weird that it's migrating though. And I would think that anything put in there as a frame saver would stay put as well. Flux would migrate if it got wet I suppose, but I'm not sure I see why it would be (essentially) symmetric around the hole.

I don't know how paint reacts to flux, but my experience is that it's okay on steel.
Old 04-12-19, 08:51 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

The issue with residual flux, IMO, is that it absorbs moisture out of the air. Just look at a joint that's sat after brazing w/ flux. Over time the flux will change, it softens and changes from the glassy nature it has after brazing.

It's my feeling that residual flux can speed up any rusting that might otherwise happen, so I like to remove it as best possible or seal it in so no additional moisture can reach it. Andy
Old 04-13-19, 08:09 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I've posted this before but it bears repeating...

On one of my early frame builds I cleaned the flux off by mechanical means on the outside and didn't do anything on the inside. Painted it up and rode the heck out of it for a good year or so until noticing corrosion on the bottom bracket around where the seat tube inserted into the shell. Looked closer and found some other corrosion in similar locations on the frame. Concluded that flux was migrating through porosity/pin holes in the brazing filler. Not good. Since then I'm a bit manic about removing flux.
Old 04-16-19, 06:44 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the answers and discussion, folks. For a minute there I was perturbed and and entertaining bizarre conspiracy theories. The stuff looks exactly like the salt that collects under a hanging wetsuit!
Old 04-16-19, 10:38 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
most fluxes have borax as an ingredient, which is a salt.
Old 09-16-19, 11:40 PM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
My colossi was a nightmare. I have a long laundry list of horrible build issues. After looking around on the forums, I see many statements about the quality and issues. I wish I would have saw these before.
Old 09-17-19, 07:00 AM
Oli_Aponte

Bikes: Custom steel bicycles made by me and a Felt B12

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canaboo
What does excess frame saver look like?
Not like that.. excess frame saver looks brown-ish.. kinda like maple syrup, and its sticky.
Old 09-17-19, 10:20 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by pamaguahiker
My colossi was a nightmare. I have a long laundry list of horrible build issues. After looking around on the forums, I see many statements about the quality and issues. I wish I would have saw these before.
This is why many will advise newbies to get instruction from a person and not just the written words. A mentor/teacher can help the beginner to develop good practices before the bad ones take root.

At the various shops I've worked in (and owned at one time) we talk about "book smart" home mechanics. While reading up on how to do this or that is a good starting point it lacks the details and nuances that make the difference between "workable" and "good" results.

I didn't soak out flux from my earlier frames until I learned more. But being young those frames either were crashed/retired or were moved on from so I never saw corrosion caused failures. I have cut open a few of my older frames and found rust/flux in the joints and this drove me to do a better job of cleaning out the interiors before painting. Andy (who now has a few soaking/cleaning out methods).