Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo and Garmin Heart Rate Zone Display During Activity?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 06:19 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

I might be in the market for a new GPS and am looking at the Wahoo Bolt/Roam and the Garmin 830/1030.

How do these display heart rate zone during an normal activity which isn't a structured workout? I'm not interested in heart rate zone distribution or histogram after a ride but want to see the zone while riding a normal ride that isn't a structured workout - look down and see what zone I'm in.

Is Garmin able to do this without a ConnectIQ app? Is Wahoo able to do this at all? It is one of the features I love most about Polar and would hate to give it up.

Screen shots or photos would be welcome. I've not found anything online.

-Tim-
Old 07-10-19, 07:19 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I might be in the market for a new GPS and am looking at the Wahoo Bolt/Roam and the Garmin 830/1030.

How do these display heart rate zone during an normal activity which isn't a structured workout? I'm not interested in heart rate zone distribution or histogram after a ride but want to see the zone while riding a normal ride that isn't a structured workout - look down and see what zone I'm in.

Is Garmin able to do this without a ConnectIQ app? Is Wahoo able to do this at all? It is one of the features I love most about Polar and would hate to give it up.

Screen shots or photos would be welcome. I've not found anything online.

-Tim-
Yes Wahoo can do that. These are the display options.
Old 07-10-19, 10:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Garmin gives you the option to display your current HR as a number (eg 155 bpm), as a zone number (3.1), or as a graphical gauge.

They can also auto detect your LTHR and base your zones around it.

I haven't used a dedicated bike computer in years, but those have the same thing:

Old 07-11-19, 06:18 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by jadocs
Yes Wahoo can do that. These are the display options.
Thanks. I was concerned because a device which can't display current heart rate zone while riding would be off my list.

Do you have any idea how it looks on the device itself? I'd purchase a Roam today if I could see what it looked like and thought it looked good.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Garmin gives you the option to display your current HR as a number (eg 155 bpm), as a zone number (3.1), or as a graphical gauge.
That graphic is what I'm looking for. Is that a ConnectIQ app or is it native to the device?

-Tim-
Old 07-11-19, 06:28 AM
jadocs

Thanks. I was concerned because a device which can't display current heart rate zone while riding would be off my list.

Do you have any idea how it looks on the device itself? I'd purchase a Roam today if I could see what it looked like and thought it looked good.

That graphic is what I'm looking for. Is that a ConnectIQ app or is it native to the device?

-Tim-
I don't because I am at work at the moment, but it can display just like SeattleForest describes. Each one of those fields above is selectable so you can have a whole page dedicated to HR being displayed in different ways if you want. All native to the device. No middleware required.
Old 07-11-19, 09:40 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Excellent. Thanks again.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 07-11-19, 09:53 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
On the BOLT you can display the current heart rate as a number and you can also set the LED lights to reflect heart rate zones, which you can also customize. I haven't seen a ROAM in person but I assume it has at least the baseline functionality of the BOLT if not more.

Not sure if there are other HR display options because I'm at my desk at work. But I will say that Wahoo support is pretty responsive and have always answered my questions in a timely manner.
Old 07-11-19, 10:20 AM
jadocs

I will concur that Wahoo support is phenomenal. They just sent me a new Tickr because the snap on my old chest strap broke.
Old 07-11-19, 10:29 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3416 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
I use a Garmin Edge 810, with a vivosmart 3 wrist band to transmit heart rate (don't like the Garmin chest strap). I assume the Edge 830 is very similar.

You set up your personal heart rate zones on the Edge, then it will display your current heart rate zone on any screen as a decimal number (1.5, 2.9, 3.6, etc.).

Setting up heart rate zones:

Garmin Edge 810 User Manual

Old 07-11-19, 10:29 AM
Seattle Forrest

That's native. I haven't felt much need for CIQ data fields. Some of the wishes and watch faces are excellent. I use one that shows me a 3 day forecast from Dark Sky along with the time.
Old 07-11-19, 10:32 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by terrymorse
You set up your personal heart rate zones on the Edge, then it will display your current heart rate zone on any
Random aside. When the 810 was released (and the manual), that was the only way to set your zones up, in the device itself. Now you can do that on the web site (Connect) and your zones will sync to your device. So you don't have to go into the menus.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-11-19, 03:33 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I have heart rate zones set up on four devices based on tested lactic threshold using the Friel method. I don't need help setting up zones but really appreciate that you took the time to post. It means a lot to me.

Originally Posted by terrymorse
it will display your current heart rate zone on any screen as a decimal number (1.5, 2.9, 3.6, etc.).
This is exactly what I'm after. It actually sounds really nice. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ksryder
you can also set the LED lights to reflect heart rate zones, which you can also customize.
Great information as well. Again, this sounds like a great feature.Thanks!!!

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-11-19 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-11-19, 03:43 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

To the point of this thread, the Polar V650 shows what zone you are in while riding. In the graphic below is shows the rider is in zone 3 and has been there for a total of 32 min 15 sec.

If the heart rate display is tapped, it shows a detailed view of that zone, where you are within the zone and beeps when you go above or below the zone. This is called "Zone Lock."

I find both zone displays incredibly useful for metering effort, especially at the end of long, hard rides. The first graphic at the top of this post is my primary metric, on screen almost all the time.

This is the sort of functionality I'm looking to replicate but understand the way it is displayed to the rider may be different across brands. Any further information about how this is implemented would be welcomed.

-Tim-
Old 07-11-19, 05:38 PM
jadocs

FYI, I have been corresponding with Wahoo support on a separate issue and asked if it was possible to incorporate a 7 zone option based on threshold (since wahoo acquired SufferFest) and was told that he thought it made sense. He told me he put in a feature request for the developers. Hopefully it is incorporated.
Old 07-19-19, 07:54 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
On the BOLT you can display the current heart rate as a number and you can also set the LED lights to reflect heart rate zones, which you can also customize. I haven't seen a ROAM in person but I assume it has at least the baseline functionality of the BOLT if not more.

Not sure if there are other HR display options because I'm at my desk at work. But I will say that Wahoo support is pretty responsive and have always answered my questions in a timely manner.
^^ This! I have my Bolt set so the LEDs display HR Zones. A quick glance at the device will let you know what HR zone you are currently in and the LED will show in different colors to let you know if you are within, above or below your average heart rate for the current ride.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress