Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New Embarrassed Rider

Old 06-25-11, 05:12 PM
Atavar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2XL's fit me just right with no drawstring at a 46" waist.. I suspect a 52" waist would make them too tight. If Lycra shorts are too tight they just roll down when you move.. not an attractive thing on a Clyde.
Old 06-25-11, 05:50 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Atavar
2XL's fit me just right with no drawstring at a 46" waist.. I suspect a 52" waist would make them too tight. If Lycra shorts are too tight they just roll down when you move.. not an attractive thing on a Clyde.

Well it's a given that anything this clyde wears is not an attractive thing... sigh. I'd wear something over them of course, I'm a very modest person

But I guess I'll wait until I drop more weight.
Old 06-25-11, 06:38 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Well it's a given that anything this clyde wears is not an attractive thing... sigh. I'd wear something over them of course, I'm a very modest person

But I guess I'll wait until I drop more weight.
You need to try Aerotech. I simply love them - says the guy with a 58" waist at 355lbs

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/bibshort.htm#top0

AND, you ought to try bib-shorts, they never roll down, that's what I like...
Old 06-25-11, 09:16 PM
raytobe

Bikes: Fuji vintage steel frame (modified), Gary Fisher Gitche Gumee,Motobecane Aluminum Custom. Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, I never wore any of that stuff when I first started out. I used to wear cutoff jeans with a tee shirt. I was so self conscious that I wore an unbuttoned button down short sleeve over the t-shirt so that it would cover up my fat somewhat when I had to stop at lights and such. Around town some folks would call me superman because when I was moving the button down would look like a cape flying behind me.
Years later and many pounds lighter I still can't wear the Lycra stuff. I normally wear loose polyester sports shorts and tops they sell at Walmart. Much Much better than wet sweaty cotton.
Old 06-26-11, 06:00 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now that I am on my trike, I find that I wear pretty muck whatever. The only time I wear my bibshorts is when I am planning on a long ride (for comfort) but then I wear shorts and a T shirt over the top of them. I found on my upright that I needed the padding and sweat help of the bibs.
Old 06-26-11, 04:30 PM
Mithrandir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peter_C
You need to try Aerotech. I simply love them - says the guy with a 58" waist at 355lbs

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/bibshort.htm#top0

AND, you ought to try bib-shorts, they never roll down, that's what I like...
Really not sure I'm ready for bib shorts. Are there any comparable regular shorts on that site? I tried to find some but there's a bewildering number of options with features I know nothing about...
Old 06-26-11, 07:16 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can't think of a single reason anyone who already wears bike shorts should or would hesitate to get bibs. There's nothing that anyone sees that's different from regular lycra shorts once you have them on and you have a shirt or jersey over them. That's how they're worn. I know of literally no one who has tried them and said "I wish I hadn't done it."
Old 06-26-11, 11:06 PM
jedrek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a bib with a normal t-shirt and shorts over them. When I incorporate club-going into my biking (surprisingly often), I'll even wear them to a club.

Very highly recommended, even if it does feel a bit weird at first.
Old 06-27-11, 05:58 AM
Mithrandir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I'll figure out what to get. Anyway back on the original topic...

So this weekend I did a charity ride and time-wise I did really well; coming in very near first (no official placements were recorded, but if my counts are correct I estimate I was around 7th out of ~400-500 people). People along the route were always expressing amazement at how fast I was going and how well I was doing. I felt good. I felt normal for once.

Then they release the pics of the event. Here's me crossing the finish line (you can see I'm way ahead of people 1/3 my size )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ridefor...7627042799176/

But here's the thing. This picture (and others from the event) has disheartened me. I look at it and suddenly realise how utterly ridiculous I look on a bike. I know I shouldn't care, but damn. I have suddenly become embarrassed again. I felt like I weighed 100 pounds less than I look. I never realised I looked so damn big still. Argh... I don't know.

I think I need some moral support right now.
Old 06-27-11, 06:17 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think you kick ass. You are big but are 90 pounds down. You are losing more weight. You are tough. You are fast. I say inspiring, not ridiculous. I know what you mean about feeling normal for once. I felt fabulous doing my 20 miles yesterday. I didn't feel like a very short overweight older woman with a flabby middle and no muscle mass plodding along at less than 10mph. I was flying. I am going to keep that feeling.

Congratulations on doing so well on your ride! It inspires me to keep going and someday be able to do an event like that too.
Old 06-27-11, 09:06 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I understand your emotions, Mithrandir. I was shocked when I saw a side-shot of me that was taken by a friend of mine at the TdC this year - it clearly showed a belly where I thought there wasn't one any longer.

Self image is a tough nut to crack. It always seems to work against us, whether it's not looking as good as we think we do, or thinking we look worse than we do. All I can tell you is you're waaaaaaay ahead of most of the population in getting out there to improve yourself, and have fun to boot. Take a look at your accomplishments and take justifiable pride in what you've done so far. Then use them as fuel to energize your continued efforts.
Old 06-27-11, 10:45 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went for a ride around nearby Lake Paradise this morning and saw a classmate fishing. I stopped to chat and he said "I heard you ride alot. You look great." This guy is my height and 40 pounds less. I know I won't lose 40 more pounds but I still think I'm too heavy.
Old 06-27-11, 11:22 AM
Thalia

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm around 380+ now and trying to find a way to take the pounds off. I've been walking (mostly at work) and am getting to a point where I need (and want) to do more. I'm looking to get back into bicycling as a way to do that.
Biking is awesome because it's fun and zippy and you can get a lot farther in the same amount of time -- but walking is also fantastic exercise! Bike because it's fun and adds variety, but I wouldn't expect it to increase your fitness more than spending the equivalent amount of time walking. What I like about the bike is -- well, it's fun. But also, I can ride to the store and haul back a full load of groceries including a gallon of milk and a bottle of wine, and be back home in time to cook, while doing the same on foot would be a major ordeal. Fortunately, there's no reason not to walk at work, and then ride in the morning and evenings or what have you.
Old 06-27-11, 03:35 PM
raytobe

Bikes: Fuji vintage steel frame (modified), Gary Fisher Gitche Gumee,Motobecane Aluminum Custom. Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Thalia;12846466]Biking is awesome because it's fun and zippy and you can get a lot farther in the same amount of time -- but walking is also fantastic exercise! Bike because it's fun and adds variety, but I wouldn't expect it to increase your fitness more than spending the equivalent amount of time walking..... QUOTE]

That would depend entirely on HOW you ride the bike, my friend. Over the years I've developed a style of riding that comes pretty close to burning an equal amount of calories as running.
Old 06-27-11, 05:38 PM
beebe
Probably Injured

Bikes: Kona Paddywagon, Surly Crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
All I can tell you is you're waaaaaaay ahead of most of the population in getting out there to improve yourself, and have fun to boot.
I think this is key. Recognizing that you want to create positive change in your life and working on creating that change is the most important thing, and if you keep at it you'll get results.

I had an aunt who had issues walking long distances because of her weight. I thought she would always be big. Eventually she started swimming and following the Weight Watchers point system. She lost so much weight I had difficulty recognizing her one Christmas. I had another aunt who wasn't particularly huge, but she started eating more veggies, went organic, started exercising, and she looks great. I don't think that the particular way you go about affecting change makes as much difference as resolving yourself to putting forth serious effort. After that it's just a matter of plugging away until you get the results you want.
Old 06-27-11, 10:33 PM
llmercll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
I'm actually considering getting some lycra shorts. I'm getting sick of the rashes that my tighty whiteys leave on my upper thighs. Only problem is, I have no idea what size to wear. I'm about a 52 waist now, and still shrinking. I was miraculously able to find a brand of cotton/polyester gym shorts that fit me nicely in size 2XL, which is fortuitous, because the damn things cost twice as much in 3XL+.

However, I can't seem to find any large lycra shorts; everything stops at 2XL. I'm tempted to try the 2XL's, but since they're supposed to be tight, I'm worried about them being too tight... Anyone have any suggestions?
I have a size 60 waist and the 4xl's from lovetopedal fit me fine. A little snug, but I'm at no risk of bursting seams =p

Besides, they say it's for waist sizes around 44", and they're super cheap. Love the spandex =p

https://www.love2pedal.com/

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...dal-experience
Old 06-28-11, 09:13 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Again, I am a 58 waist and a 4XL was not quite tight enough for me. So I went to 3XL both for my shorts and bib-shorts and am well pleased/
Old 06-29-11, 04:28 PM
jedrek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 48 inch waist and the 3XL bib shorts are perfect for me.

Weird.
Old 06-29-11, 07:34 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It depends on how tight or loose you want them. Lycra Stretches, and the 4XL were baggy on me. Remember, I am speaking of Areotech here.
Old 07-12-11, 01:59 PM
TheTreauth

Bikes: 2011 Giant Rapid 3, 2001 Schwinn Mesa GSX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a new member here and as a Clyde that's just gotten into cycling over the last few weeks I really have to say this thread and many of the people in it are amazing inspirations to me. I'm 5'10" and float around 250-260 pounds and I was very embarrassed when I started and sometimes still am, but I'm getting over it. The city I live in is pretty chocked full of terrible people (Google Saginaw, MI some time and read the wiki..) and I have had some people yell ignorant stuff at me from vehicles regarding the fat guy on the bike, but I'm just brushing it off because I'm trying to improve myself and I'm commuting by bicycle everywhere I go now to improve my bank account and do my part to combat ridiculous gas prices, while they're driving their ridiculous ghetto cruisers two blocks to buy a slurpee at 7-11 so who are they to look down on me?

This thread has really helped me improve my attitude and care a little less about what others think about this Clyde rock'n a Trek down busy streets, and I thank you all for that!
Old 07-14-11, 03:34 PM
kenoshi

Bikes: Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know you should never be ashamed of what you are doing. Believe it or not, most cyclists are pretty understanding about new riders. I've only been riding since March, and in callie I've always had more experienced riders acknowledge me and stuff, always a heart felt "hey buddy" or "how's it goin' brother" when they do pass me. People have always offered to help when I got a flat etc.

4 months later and 70lbs lighter, I find myself doing the same things. Although I'm by no means an experienced rider (I just trued my bike for the first time yesterday), I'd pass folks who obviously just started, and is going slow or having a hard time, or just plain lost, and tell them to "keep it up buddy" or "hang in there brother", and offer to help people patch flats or show them better routes etc., if I had known such a great community existed, I would have started riding a long time ago.
Old 07-14-11, 05:53 PM
raytobe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenoshi
You know you should never be ashamed of what you are doing. Believe it or not, most cyclists are pretty understanding about new riders. I've only been riding since March, and in callie I've always had more experienced riders acknowledge me and stuff, always a heart felt "hey buddy" or "how's it goin' brother" when they do pass me. People have always offered to help when I got a flat etc.

4 months later and 70lbs lighter, I find myself doing the same things. Although I'm by no means an experienced rider (I just trued my bike for the first time yesterday), I'd pass folks who obviously just started, and is going slow or having a hard time, or just plain lost, and tell them to "keep it up buddy" or "hang in there brother", and offer to help people patch flats or show them better routes etc., if I had known such a great community existed, I would have started riding a long time ago.
Congrats on your 70. You should be proud. That amount of weight makes a big difference and is hugely motivating. I've been there.
Old 07-15-11, 03:38 PM
kenoshi

Bikes: Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hehe thx...I'm just happy cause I can actually keep up with my 2yr old son now. Now I run circles around him. Wife is extremely proud of me and cheered me on throughout, having great support really, really helps.
Old 07-17-11, 09:37 PM
dfritch

Bikes: Cervelo

Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
You never have anything to be embarrassed about when you're doing something to change it. I was a member of the 400+ and damn near died when I started ridding. You will find other out there who will become riding partners and you will succeed in your goals if you stick to them.
Attached Images
Old 07-22-11, 06:29 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This thread is outstanding! It really is. I am a big guy... 6 foot 4 and 324 (down from 364). I bought a road bike a couple weeks back and the forst ride was ok but the second ride was a damn killer. And the humidity is hard for me to deal with too.

But today I am going to look at a hybred bike so I can start riding to work. Cant wait!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.