Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

I'm becoming a beer snob

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-19, 07:46 AM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Going against the grain, after going to a number of micro breweries, and sampling craft (and home brew) beer, I stopped even looking at them they all taste like they were filtered through dirty gym socks to me. The next "fad" I see coming is "stiff beer" that you can chew! :-)

Nowadays I guess at home I drink less than a case per year, and Euro beers like Guiness, Heine, Peroni, and Becks are about the only ones I'll buy. At a restaurant those are my preferred brands also. Commercial American beer is swill to me and I'm off that for good.
Old 06-15-19, 09:04 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I never developed a taste for the stuff. When I got my first job after college, they used to tease me and ask to see my diploma because they figured no one could go through 4 years at UMass and not learn to drink beer.

And somehow, I have signed up for Boston Bikes and Beers at the end of this month. Ride starts and ends at Harpoon Brewery. Maybe they'll let me choose the cider for my 2 free "beers" at the after party. Or even the root beer.
Old 06-15-19, 05:44 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Guinness. They figured it out back in the 1700’s and have managed to not screw it up since. I have no use for hoppy IPA’s or gimmicky micro brews. On hot summer days the crisp clean finish of Asahi Super Dry satisfies like no other.

-Kedosto
Old 06-15-19, 06:29 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by MidwestKid
.. , but the small micro brewerys can turn out some good brew. I love the darker flavorful beers.
Old 06-17-19, 02:13 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I always find it interesting that people find that craft beer is akin to drinking sweat sock filtered beverages. I also find it fascinating that people eat at McDonald's still too. Is there a correlation there?
Old 06-17-19, 11:31 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
This is certainly an odd zombie thread to revive...
Old 06-18-19, 12:20 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
a couple of goodies in the last two weeks on tap:

green cheek (orange co, ca) “short on long term goals” italian pilsner. bracingly crisp and delish.

burgeon (carlsbad, ca) “clever kiwi” kellerbier

harland (san diego) mexican lager. best mexi lager i’ve ever had.

gravity heights (san diego) “1028” ipa.

three weavers (los angeles) “return of sassy” rye ipa.

societe (san diego) “the coachman” session ipa. haven’t found a better session ipa yet.
Old 06-18-19, 04:47 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I wanted to become a whiskey snob but found myself on food stamps 35 years ago and with diabetes in 1996.
Old 06-18-19, 09:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
2 micro-breweries and an outlet for another big coastal micro-brewery ..
in this town.

Took a long bike tour Bavaria Bohemia Belgium & Britain , NL DK etc.
Pubs are in Some of the Benelux Hostels..
and another trip in Eire and Scotland .. who needs energy drinks?
7 years later the number of brewpub - restaurants have expanded.. to 7 + ...
so, more and more, its a service - tourist town..

Old 06-18-19, 09:02 PM
BurittoGrande

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I want to love beer but I don’t. Problem is I like the idea of knowing different beers, trying different beer and trying to brew beer. It just looks fun. Actually I do like really dark beer like Guinness or Allagash Black but one is enough and then I lose my taste for it... maybe I’ll hive Scotch a try. I hear folks can nerd out on that as well. 😉
Old 06-23-19, 08:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I'm a Root Beer Snob, Diet A&W because you can't get much of anything else in diet anymore.
Old 06-24-19, 04:15 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by BurittoGrande
I want to love beer but I don’t. Problem is I like the idea of knowing different beers, trying different beer and trying to brew beer. It just looks fun. Actually I do like really dark beer like Guinness or Allagash Black but one is enough and then I lose my taste for it... maybe I’ll hive Scotch a try. I hear folks can nerd out on that as well. 😉
absolutely not. do yourself a favor and stay away from scotch and wine. you'll save yourself untold thousands and possibly more. you have been warned. beer is the cheapest/best way through. ignore at your own peril/bank account(s).
Old 06-24-19, 05:16 AM
GreatShake868

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with drinking beer. Once in a while 1-2 bottles of beer is alright. As long as you don't go all out wasted like some drunk.
Old 06-24-19, 11:23 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
absolutely not. do yourself a favor and stay away from scotch and wine. you'll save yourself untold thousands and possibly more. you have been warned. beer is the cheapest/best way through. ignore at your own peril/bank account(s).
I wish beer was cheap. A 4 pack of 16oz craft beers is $15 around here. A bottle of single barrel Elijah Craig I picked up was $35. How many drinks do I get out of that? Craft beer is not cheap. Find a bottle of Toppling Goliath 2018 Assassin and let me know how that goes.

edit: I looked it up, a 22oz bottle of 2018 Toppling Goliath Assassin is going for $350. That's an up charge compared to when it was first purchased, which I believe was $250.

Last edited by Yendor72; 06-24-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 11:56 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Ali_Pine
Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing.

This is a cycle forum.
Then let's get to it:

Eddyline Crank yanker. Or Great Divide's Roadie Grapefruit Radler. Or Denver Beer Co. Incredible Pedal. Lots of options if you want to stay with 'cycling' ....

While double (and triple) IPAs and belgian ales (Delirium and St. Bernardus, I'm looking at you) are great, getting into warmer weather has me looking for more citrusy and/or crispy things: New Belgium Citradelic, Duvel Golden Ale, Dry Dock Grapefruit Double IPA. oh and Boulevard Tank 7. Might be time for some kolsch too (though they are new to me)

A local-local brewery (https://www.bluesprucebrewing.com/) has a golden strong that's 'tchareal-nice

(I like beer)

Last edited by superdex; 06-24-19 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 07:31 PM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nymtber
Drinking a Paulaner Hefeweizen right now... Love wheat beers...YUMMY! Took a few to get used to the phenolic/banana/clove flavor of the yeast, but once I got used to it, well, I was hooked! I also like Dunkel's and Weizenbock's as well. Plus, their bottles are the best for homebrew, German beer bottles are much thicker and better made than American beer bottles!
Paulaner is beautiful! You might also like the Erdinger, Franziskaner and my favourite Leffe!
Old 07-01-19, 12:39 AM
Oregon_Nomad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nymtber
I'm with you. I don't even like cheap crap beer anymore. I actually started homebrewing last year, and its a fun way to make really good beer for pretty cheap. I have Kolsch brewing currently.

Beer belly is something from heavy beer drinking couch potatoes, not someone who is ACTIVE and enjoys one or two beers/day. I burned near 1000 calories today between my bike ride, fishing, and walking. Making 300 calories back up in beer is a reward

For what its worth, my favorite beer overall, which I have a weakness for, is Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale. Its only available in 22oz beers, and is $5/bottle (after tax and all) so I don't indulge in them too often, but once in a while, YUM!
I really wanted to like Arrogant Bastard. The label is hilarious! I love the part where it says 'You're probably mouthing these words as you read them'. Unfortunately, something about the flavor puts me off.