Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Difference between Selle SMP TRK and Hybrid

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 01:07 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Getting my Trek FX 7.6 tuned in and want to settle on a seat. I've decided on either the Selle SMP TRK or Hybrid. My sit bones measure 120 which puts me in a 140-150 range. I'm 188# with a target weight of 180#. I expect to ride no more than 100 miles a week, just fitness, semi-upright. I'm seventy-one years old and in pretty good shape. I would like input on folks who have tried either Selle, or both; comparisons would be better. I appreciate suggestions of other seats, but I'm going to get one or the other Selle.

Thanks in advance.

Rich
Old 07-29-13, 01:50 PM
sreten
Banned.

Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,

The TRK appears to more suitable than the Hybrid, for semi-upright.

rgds, sreten.
Old 07-30-13, 07:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
The shape of the TRK shows a more pronounced transition to the rear of the saddle, which may limit positioning, whereas the Hybrid has a more gradual transition from front to rear. The TRK looks wider for this reason, but I didn't look at the numbers.

I'd say the practical differences are impossible to suss out without actually riding them, but if I had to guess in your situation, I'd go with the more lightly padded, narrower Hybrid, because you're not going strictly for comfort, and will probably be wearing cycling shorts.

EDIT: I should add I'm a very happy 6', 230lb, SMP Dynamic user who has never measured sitz bone width. FWIW.

Last edited by chaadster; 07-30-13 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-30-13, 09:07 AM
Rich Gibson 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
EDIT: I should add I'm a very happy 6', 230lb, SMP Dynamic user who has never measured sitz bone width. FWIW.
I just saw a very clever sits bone measuring technique. Put about a cup or two of flour in a gallon-sized zip loc bag, force out the air and sit on it. Measure the distance between the centers of the two depressions.

Thanks for everyone's help. I ordered the TRK. Time will tell.
Old 04-04-14, 09:57 AM
spare change

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
I just saw a very clever sits bone measuring technique. Put about a cup or two of flour in a gallon-sized zip loc bag, force out the air and sit on it. Measure the distance between the centers of the two depressions.

Thanks for everyone's help. I ordered the TRK. Time will tell.
Give me some feedback Rich...I have the TRK Gel on it's way to me. I'm interested in your experience since you got it.

thanks
Old 04-04-14, 11:20 AM
Rich Gibson 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spare change
Give me some feedback Rich...I have the TRK Gel on it's way to me. I'm interested in your experience since you got it.

thanks
As you can see it was a long time ago. It didn't work out; was uncomfortable for some reason. I finally found a Bontrager at a LBS. Unfortunately it's been discontinued but it's a winner. I now have over 3000 miles on my Trek and am riding with no discomfort.

Rich
Old 04-04-14, 12:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the sit on it test is always more conclusive.
Old 04-07-14, 05:55 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
As you can see it was a long time ago. It didn't work out; was uncomfortable for some reason. I finally found a Bontrager at a LBS. Unfortunately it's been discontinued but it's a winner. I now have over 3000 miles on my Trek and am riding with no discomfort.

Rich
Hi Rich,
I understand that the Bontrager saddle you obtained is discontinued, but which model is it?
Thanks and best regards
Old 04-14-14, 06:59 PM
Rich Gibson 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flan48
Hi Rich,
I understand that the Bontrager saddle you obtained is discontinued, but which model is it?
Thanks and best regards
I found it; P/N 411752 https://trekstoremadison.com/product/...FWxp7AodsT0AEA Very highly rated. Only con is difficulty mounting bag...(not true).

Rich
Old 04-18-14, 03:31 PM
flan48

I found it; P/N 411752 Bontrager inForm Nebula Plus Saddle - Trek Bicycle Store Madison, WI Very highly rated. Only con is difficulty mounting bag...(not true).

Rich
Ah yes, the same saddle that came on my Trek 7.4FX. I found it to be like sitting on a hardened steel rod - just awful!

I believe the new version of the Nebula Plus will be more comfortable.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I have tried 4 additional saddles and settled on the SMP Hybrid. It did take a few adjustments, and the final adjustment, albeit counter intuitive, did the trick -I actually turned the nose down from a level position and wa la, I do not slide forward, and I only barely feel the rails.

Thanks for your response and best regards
Old 06-11-14, 04:52 PM
flan48

Ah yes, the same saddle that came on my Trek 7.4FX. I found it to be like sitting on a hardened steel rod - just awful!

I believe the new version of the Nebula Plus will be more comfortable.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I have tried 4 additional saddles and settled on the SMP Hybrid. It did take a few adjustments, and the final adjustment, albeit counter intuitive, did the trick -I actually turned the nose down from a level position and wa la, I do not slide forward, and I only barely feel the rails.

Thanks for your response and best regards
After 2 months of continuing to fiddle (50 miles each "fiddle") around with this, I finally decided it is not for me. Although I obviously lost money on the deal, I sold it on Ebay this past Monday.

I ended up buying, from my local LBS, a Sunlite Cloud-9 Non-Suspension saddle. It has a central cutout, but the rails are nicely padded. As such I don't experience the discomfort on the front of my left sit bone as I did with the SMP saddle.

So I find that the $35 saddle is more comfortable, for me, than the $120 saddle!

Best regards
Old 06-11-14, 07:23 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
After 2 months of continuing to fiddle (50 miles each "fiddle") around with this, I finally decided it is not for me. Although I obviously lost money on the deal, I sold it on Ebay this past Monday.

I ended up buying, from my local LBS, a Sunlite Cloud-9 Non-Suspension saddle. It has a central cutout, but the rails are nicely padded. As such I don't experience the discomfort on the front of my left sit bone as I did with the SMP saddle.

So I find that the $35 saddle is more comfortable, for me, than the $120 saddle!

Best regards
The rails are padded?? Can you clarify that, please?
Old 06-11-14, 08:01 PM
flan48

Surely. I'm referring to the part of the saddle that is over the rails, ie on either side of the central cut out.On both the SMP and my new saddle, there is the central cut out.

While both saddles have imitation leather and some padding, on the SMP one can press on the rails with little pressure and feel the hardness of the actual rail.
Not so with my new saddle where pressing hard on the top of the rail still reveals cushioning/softness.

I trust this adds clarification .
Best regards

Last edited by flan48; 06-11-14 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 06-12-14, 08:52 AM
flan48

Attached is a picture in the event my previous clarification was not clear.

Best regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rails.jpg (19.7 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by flan48; 06-12-14 at 08:53 AM. Reason: duplication