Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling is expensive, what are your cheaper substitute products?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling is expensive, what are your cheaper substitute products?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 08:31 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by johnybutts
And you can find them for free on the side of the road when you need a snack!
There was one about 12" in diameter in the middle of the road the other day. I'd just had lunch, so I was nice and moved it into the woods.
There was an 18" snapper a couple of years ago ..... I didn't pick that one up ...... gave it some pokes with a hockey stick to get it out of the road.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-24-12, 05:21 AM
EdIsMe

Bikes: 2011 Neuvation FC100, 2013 Mercier Kilo TT Pro, 1984 Peugeot SV-L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danmc
If you really like Gatorade, an even cheaper substitute is to buy a big vat of food dye (it'll have a skull and crossbones on it), and mix that with some water, salt, and sugar. Make sure to get a really pretty color so it looks like the real thing!
lol
Quite true.
Old 08-24-12, 05:44 AM
JustinNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chain lube is overrated...ride more, lube less

Old 08-24-12, 05:50 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 140 Posts
Ti skewers - I've bought several sets of the cheaper ones below for <=$20 and they are nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-KCNC-Ti-...item564c02d513

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Titanium...item27ca7589e9
Old 08-24-12, 05:55 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't eat crap. It's not good for you.

Candy bars are crap. Bananas are cheaper and are good.
Old 08-24-12, 06:31 AM
HBxRider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When my cycling jerseys are dirty and I dont got time to do laundry, and i'm heading out for another run, I use my sleeveless adidas basketball shirts. I size down so they fit snug like a cycling jersey, and they are made of cool, breathable material (mock eyelet fabric). Only $12 from sams club.

I load up on good, nutritious food before my ride. But I eat a snickers for a convenient, quick boost to power me through the last 60-90 minutes of my ride. Get em by the box from sams club too.

Lemon pledge for cleaning my bike too.

Last edited by HBxRider; 08-24-12 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-24-12, 06:54 AM
lechat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Substitute eBay for LBS and Etailers. You'll spend dimes on the dollars.
Old 08-24-12, 07:20 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by captnfantastic
-Socks are absolutely NOT created equal. If you believe this then do yourself a favor and swing by target, or grab a pair of sockguy socks.
-Gatorade and Snickers taste good, maltodextrin and cliff bars do not. I enjoy taking a tasty drink from my bottle, which constantly reminds me to take a drink from my bottle.
-I will gladly pay $1 to save myself from the annoyance of hand pump. Just thinking about the few times I've sat there on the side of the road for 10 minutes jerking off a dinky pump hoping I can get 80psi makes my blood boil. NEVER AGAIN!
-I really should patch tubes. There is just something about a brand new tube...

For me, cycling is expensive. I am in college and I race road, MTN and cross. Between gas, race entry fees, and wear & tear on my bikes I can spend $100 in a weekend. I try to save where I can, without cutting corners.
Huh?

You'll spend $100 in a weekend on racing stuff but don't have a pump that works? My frame pump will pump a flat MTB tube to 60psi or a 700x32 tube to 80psi in less than two minutes. Maybe skip one race and buy yourself a decent pump.

For me I ride in regular socks. I've got padded cycling shorts and a couple of cheap jerseys, and usually carry cheap cereal bars that are tasty enough and a generic version of Snickers bars that cost the equivalent of about $2 for 8. For longer rides I carry jelly babies that are also stupidly cheap (about $1 for 800-odd calories) but taste much better than you'd expect for the price. I actually prefer them to other jelly babies costing many times more.

If you can't afford to race road, MTN and cross how about dropping one of them so you can afford to race the others? I keep my cycling as cheap as possible but then I'm not doing it competitively.
Old 08-24-12, 11:28 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I use the same wool socks on thew bike that I use when I hike, kayak, climb, or go to work. It's not rocket surgery, folks; some of you just enjoy shopping.
Old 08-24-12, 11:32 AM
rmr1923

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I use the same wool socks on thew bike that I use when I hike, kayak, climb, or go to work. It's not rocket surgery, folks; some of you just enjoy shopping.
+1

i never understood the need for cycling-specific socks. i just wear plain old Champion brand socks from Target, same ones i wear when i go running.
Old 08-24-12, 11:33 AM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You must not ride in the summer.
Old 08-24-12, 11:45 AM
Seattle Forrest

^ You must never have touched good wool.
Old 08-24-12, 11:45 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You must not ride in the summer.
My wool socks are pretty fantastic in the 100deg 100% humidity GA summers running, cycling, etc.

Old 08-24-12, 11:49 AM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^ You must never have touched good wool.
I guess I haven't.
Old 08-24-12, 11:51 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I ride 3-5 time/week, it gets expensive. In order to keep me out of the red I use the following:

I buy Gatorade powder from Walmart. I use it in my bottles when I ride, and for recovery after a long hard ride. If I am doing a long ride that requires bottle fillup, I bring a ziploc with powder in it for round 2. Stick with the glacier freeze or lemon lime, trust me. Half a scoop for a standard bottle or full scoop for a 1L nalgene. It makes 6 gallons, $8.38.
I just use plain water on most rides.
Old 08-24-12, 11:53 AM
SteamDonkey74

Bikes: 1995? Trek 830 (with mods); 1980ish Fuji S12-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're right. Cycling is too expensive. I think I'll sell my bikes, buy some DVDs, and sit on my couch in my underwear all weekend eating tortilla chips.
Old 08-24-12, 11:55 AM
captnfantastic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know a guy who rides with fruit snacks instead of gu's. I might try that out.

I used to be a "socks are socks" guy. Then I won a cycling specific pair in a race. They took away all the hot spots and numbness I occasionally felt and kept my feet dry. I can never go back.

I won a bottle of accellerade in my crit race last night, I guess I will finally get to see how it compares to my Gatorade. I hope it doesn't work super well because that stuff is like $40/bottle!
Old 08-24-12, 11:56 AM
amit_shah25 
Drunken Master

Bikes: Jamis Ranger 1.0 (Mutilated !!), Trek Portland

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
- Gatorade -> Old fashioned home-made lemonade with salt and sugar
- Gels, and such stuff -> bananas, peanut butter, peanut butter/banana smoothie made in milk
- socks -> don't wear them. shoes get wet with sweat, leave it in sun to dry !
- chain lube -> don't skimp here. use quality dry lube
- cleaner -> remove the chain, and wash it with soap + dawn. rest of the bike doesn't need to be cleaned. I haven't cleaned mine in 13K miles, and it still rides as fast as it did on day 1
- spinach+banana+peanut butter smoothie usually works as pretty awsome recovery drink. very refreshing, healthy, cheap.
Old 08-24-12, 12:02 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I just use plain water on most rides.
And I rarely use gels. Oatmeal raisin cookies from the supermarket work better. And really, you only need food on rides over 2 hours ... unless you've done something silly like have honey just before you go for a ride.

I have decent quality pumps with which I've been able to pump my tires to 90 psi ... even with a separated shoulder on one ride.

I like wool socks year round, and get them from Walmart or Sears ... beautiful thin angora or cashmere blend wool socks. And I pay roughly $1 a pair for them. I have a lot of these and wear them on the bicycle and to work.

And kitchen grade Simple Green is cheaper and just as effective as automotive grade Simple Green.
Old 08-24-12, 12:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

I guess I haven't.
Wool is like anything else. A really thick sweater is going to be unbearably hot in the summer. A thin tee-shirt made from the same stuff is delightful. The fabric comes in different "weights" depending on how much insulation you want.

It pulls sweat (and other moisture, like if it drizzles) away from your skin, never feeling clammy. It's the most comfortable stuff you can have directly against your skin when it's 95 F and you're working your ass off.

Originally Posted by Menel
My wool socks are pretty fantastic in the 100deg 100% humidity GA summers running, cycling, etc.

I have several pairs of these. They tend to go on sale in the late fall. I wear them around town, on summer hikes, and other times when this is all I need. I feel like I get more for my money this way.
Old 08-24-12, 12:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Machka
I like wool socks year round, and get them from Walmart or Sears ... beautiful thin angora or cashmere blend wool socks. And I pay roughly $1 a pair for them. I have a lot of these and wear them on the bicycle and to work.
I have pure cashmere socks, too. They're great at night while backpacking at high altitude, sleeping next to glaciers and snow fields. I have cashmere hats, gloves, leg warmers, and the like, too, because my ex-girlfriend liked going to thrift stores, and making stuff out of what she'd find there.

A cashmere sweater is fantastic insulation on the bike in the winter, between the merino base layer and goretex shell.
Old 08-24-12, 12:16 PM
richard_dupp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride 3-5 time/week, it gets expensive. In order to keep me out of the red I use the following:

I buy Gatorade powder from Walmart. I use it in my bottles when I ride, and for recovery after a long hard ride. If I am doing a long ride that requires bottle fillup, I bring a ziploc with powder in it for round 2. Stick with the glacier freeze or lemon lime, trust me. Half a scoop for a standard bottle or full scoop for a 1L nalgene. It makes 6 gallons, $8.38.
Water in both bottles for 30 miles or more, one bottle for less.

I fill my hammer gel squeeze bottle with honey from Costco. I use it like anyone else would use a gel. 5 lbs, $12.
I don't

I recover with ice cold chocolate milk. It gives me the protein, carbs, and fats that my body wants after a workout. .5 gallon, $2.49
Wife has a well balanced dinner for me, meat, veggies and salad washed down with a Mich Ultra.

For longer rides I bring a snicker bar (or 2). They give me a bit of protein with carbs and don't upset my stomach. They also taste good, unlike cliff/power bars. Walmart 6 for $3
Bannana or PB&J one slice folded over.

I buy "C9 by Champion" mens quarter socks at Target (white of course). They wick moisture and provide mild arch support. Most comfortable cycling sock I have used, and they look good. 6 pair, $12[
Cheap Wally World socks (black)

I buy unthreaded CO2 cartirdges from Walmart. They are only 12 grams but I carry 2 with me. 15 for $8.
Innovations Microflate and a couple of cartridges. I think I got 'em at Cabelas 'cause they had a sale better than Wally World.

10 pack 48mm road tubes on ebay for $40. I don't patch tubes, it's just something I don't do.
I carry a spare tube and a patch kit.

What do you guys use? I would like to find substitutes for the following:

-Chain lube
Homebrew

-Chain cleaner
OMS
-Parts cleaner
OMS

-Any other suggestions you might have

Cheers!
Old 08-24-12, 12:28 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28693 Post(s)
Liked 1,869 Times in 1,325 Posts
I drink water . . . from the tap.
Old 08-24-12, 12:28 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Clearance sales online from REI, Jenson, Nashbar, Bluesky Cycling and other outlets for tires, tubes, lubes, chains. Simple Green by the gallon at Home Depot for cleaning chain and bike. A salesman at Interbike was pimping his product saying that chain lubes were 99% Mineral Oil and then some secret sauce. His product was "Chanoil #5".

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 08-24-12, 12:32 PM
richard_dupp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Clearance sales online from REI, Jenson, Nashbar, Bluesky Cycling and other outlets for tires, tubes, lubes, chains. Simple Green by the gallon at Home Depot for cleaning chain and bike. A salesman at Interbike was pimping his product saying that chain lubes were 99% Mineral Oil and then some secret sauce. His product was "Chanoil #5".
3 to 4 parts mineral spirits and 1 part 10W30. He probably used 5W30 hence the Chanoil #5.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.