Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 600 - 6400 series RD pulleys?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 07:32 PM
bikefriday

Bikes: 1989 Specialized Allez Pro, 2007 Specialized S Works E5, 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I'm looking to replace my rear derailleur pulleys (which have worn teeth) with ball or ceramic bearing ones. The original pulleys are 10 tooth, however when looking online most of what I can find is 11 tooth or higher. Does anyone know if the 11 tooth pulleys will fit the rear derailleur / has anyone done this upgrade before? Thank you in advance for the help. I did do a search, but nothing specific came up.
Old 11-04-20, 09:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Increasing the pulley tooth count has a couple of possible issues. One is the obvious aspect of the chain being able to run between the two pulleys without hanging up. A long cage generally makes this moot but a short cage road der could see a problem. Next up is the reduced guide pulley (the upper one) to cog underside clearance (pulley knock) issue. If you are running the cog/ring tooth counts at or near the max specs (and this is pretty much the norm on most OEM bikes) then the gap under the big rear cog might not be enough for a larger pulley to fit within. How much "B" screw range is still unused? A possible extra link or a removal of a link to retain no pulley knock can be on the plate...

Not mentioned well is the pulley width. If a narrower pulley spec if installed then expect more cage/chain rub or noise during and after a shift. Andy
Old 11-04-20, 09:49 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Pulleys are too close together w/10T pulleys to allow any increase in pulley size. Two 11T pulleys will put the teeth really close together at its closest point. Although it may fit and allow the chain to pass, not sure what effect it will have on noise or long term wear. Having the pulley so close together may also effect the "floating" feature of the Centeron guide pulley.
Old 11-04-20, 09:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
Pulleys are too close together w/10T pulleys to allow any increase in pulley size. Two 11T pulleys will put the teeth really close together at its closest point. Although it may fit and allow the chain to pass, not sure what effect it will have on noise or long term wear. Having the pulley so close together may also effect the "floating" feature of the Centeron guide pulley.
Very good point although likely just increasing noise, assuming an otherwise well working system. Andy
Old 11-04-20, 10:45 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,168 Times in 1,324 Posts
I’m not positive, but I think the RD-6400 (7 speed) used a standard 10t, and the RD-6401 (8 speed) used a “narrow” 10t. The pulleys will have narrow stamped on them.

If yours is standard width, I “think” a 10t Tourney pulley might work. I have seen them on eBay.

John
Old 11-04-20, 11:37 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have tried after market ball bearing pulleys and haven't had good luck with them. If you can find originals go for them.
Old 11-05-20, 03:12 AM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I replaced the pulleys on a 7-speed era Ultegra derailleur with some generic aluminum ones from eBay. I guess they were 11T (can't confirm because I'm at work now) and work just fine. I'm running a 28T large cog on that bike.
Old 11-05-20, 04:54 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I was going to recommend Tacx 10T sealed bearing pulleys, but they're currently listed as unavailable on Amazon. Too bad. I've been using 'em on two or three rear derailleurs for a couple of years -- a Suntour GPX, Shimano 600 Tricolor, and another that slips my mind at the moment (and I have an 11T in a box for another project). Thousands of miles, no problems. Great value at about $15 when I bought 'em. Much smoother than the original sintered bearings on those older RDs. Not a big difference compared with Shimano Centeron pulleys though. I also have one or two older Bullseye sealed bearing pulleys in anodized red, but I'm not using them at the moment -- they were a bit noisy compared with the Delrin or whatever plastic Tacx uses -- same material as most pulleys, that grayish-black hard plastic stuff.
Old 11-05-20, 09:04 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Sometimes it's easier to beg borrow buy find a old and suitable derailer and cannibalize the pulleys. Check with a bike co-op, see if you can bring in your old stuff and scrounge.
Old 11-05-20, 09:47 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I was going to recommend Tacx 10T sealed bearing pulleys, but they're currently listed as unavailable on Amazon.
Unfortunately Tacx was bought out and no longer makes pulleys. You may be able to find some NOS but sellers like to jack the price up on them.
Old 11-05-20, 12:41 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,168 Times in 1,324 Posts
It is funny how the prices of old stuff changes over the years.

Decades ago Bullseye aluminum pulleys were a great upgrade, albeit heavy, especially if you got a matching color. A bit expensive, but cool.

Then NOS sets were going for $10 or so.

Now they are upwards of $100. Same yellow card in plastic. lol!

John
Old 11-05-20, 02:54 PM
KCT1986

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric S.
I replaced the pulleys on a 7-speed era Ultegra derailleur with some generic aluminum ones from eBay. I guess they were 11T (can't confirm because I'm at work now) and work just fine. I'm running a 28T large cog on that bike.
Please let us know if they are 11T. Been wondering how close the pulleys can be before issues appear. My estimates would put the teeth about 6mm apart at its nearest point with two 11T. The next gen Ultegra (RD-6500) uses 11T pulleys and seems to be about 8mm at its nearest point.

You mentioned generic aluminum ones so probably no "float" like the Centeron original. Any additional noise? Or are you skilled enough to get it perfectly dailed-in ?
Old 11-05-20, 07:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Unfortunately Tacx was bought out and no longer makes pulleys. You may be able to find some NOS but sellers like to jack the price up on them.
Sorry to hear that, those Delrin Tacx pulleys were an outstanding value. Glad I bought a few when they were available for only around $15.
Old 11-06-20, 09:33 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Sorry to hear that, those Delrin Tacx pulleys were an outstanding value. Glad I bought a few when they were available for only around $15.
Velo Orange sells an 11t set that looks like a good replacement for the Tacx and only around $13 shipped. https://velo-orange.com/collections/...-jockey-wheels I just bought a pair but won't need to install them for awhile so can't say anything about performance but not too worried. To the OP VO also sells a 10t aluminum set that may work for $20 plus shipping if interested. https://velo-orange.com/products/gra...heels-10-tooth
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 11-06-20, 11:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Velo Orange sells an 11t set that looks like a good replacement for the Tacx and only around $13 shipped. https://velo-orange.com/collections/...-jockey-wheels I just bought a pair but won't need to install them for awhile so can't say anything about performance but not too worried. To the OP VO also sells a 10t aluminum set that may work for $20 plus shipping if interested. https://velo-orange.com/products/gra...heels-10-tooth
Good, those appear to be the same as the Tacx labeled pulleys. Good to see someone else picked up the distribution.
Old 11-22-20, 10:50 AM
bikefriday

Bikes: 1989 Specialized Allez Pro, 2007 Specialized S Works E5, 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Have not been on here for a while. Just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this. The 10 tooth pulleys from VO look like they'll work with my setup. Thanks again everyone!