Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bannock/Bannack Pass?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bannock/Bannack Pass?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-19, 01:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Bannock/Bannack Pass?

Probably a shot in the dark but....

I have a trip planned from/to Missoula that include what Google Maps calls Bannock Pass, but it could mean Bannack Pass as in the ghost town of Bannack, MT.

Correct spelling aside, it's ID 26/MT 324 between Leadore, ID and Grant, MT. I know there is a long, unpaved section up to and over the pass until somewhere MT. Just wondering if anyone can give me (relatively recent, hopefully) info on road surface conditions. I'll be riding my LHT with 37c tires. I have conquered some relatively rough, hilly and mountainous roads with it.

Also looking for info on Bannack Bench Road from Grant to Bannack State Park, which is part of the GDMRB.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-19, 03:11 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Indy- It looks like Bannack and Bannock Passes are two different locations with Bannock Pass being the one to Leadore ...

I rode from Grant MT to Tendoy ID over Lemhi Pass 36 years ago. Heh, is that recent enough? Also rode that stretch of GDMBR maybe 10-15 years later. Bannack Bench Rd to Dell/Lima at the time was typical loose gravel with some washboard, paved from Bannack SP north to MT 278. Lemhi Pass (N of Bannock Pass) was a double track at the top of eastern climb ...

Packed/loose gravel from the summit to Tendoy...

I think I was riding Avocet Cross 700 x 35 over Lemhi. The later trip on GDMBR was with 700 x 45 BG Rock'n'Roads.

Last edited by BobG; 12-11-19 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-12-19, 06:32 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Looking at the route from Google Satellite view it appears that 324 is now paved all the way to Lemhi Pass road and beyond towards Bannock Pass. The images get fuzzy as you scroll south but you can vaguely see pavement striping most of the way to Bannock Pass ...

Looks like the pavement may end here.

Last edited by BobG; 12-12-19 at 07:37 AM.