Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Completing a CRASH INTERUPTED RIDE

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-26-20, 05:36 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts

Shaking off the trauma of a crash and getting "back in (on) the saddle" has always been a priority of mine to the extent of completing the "CRASH RIDE" after healing. In April 2011 I had my first MAJOR CRASH at mile 72 of 100 resulting in wearing a neck collar (luckily not a HALO) for 16 weeks - 24/7 before being allowed any form of exercise other than walking. After regaining strength I made it a point to go for a 100 miler with an effort to pass the crash site at mile 72 and then complete the 100. MAYBE STUPID BUT GRATIFYING.

April 27 last month (4 weeks ago yesterday) I was again out for a 100 mile Midnight Madness ride. At mile 33 of the first segment I was hit by a wild pig and crashed. This time my ortho cleared me to ride as soon as I felt comfortable so I managed a short ride 8 days after cracking my left scapula, cracking rib 5 and 6 left side and puncturing my lung. Completing a few more rides and building strength up I went out YESTERDAY riding the crash ride in reverse passing my ENCOUNTER SITE exactly at the distance it took me to ride home the morning of the crash. STUPID or OCD or whatever it was something I am simply wired to do. Not yet able to ride the 100 miles I had planned to ride last month I only rode enough to complete the total distance my crash ride was (37) plus the bit extra to the "turn around point" I was heading for when the crash happened. Don't expect to be at 90%+ until my 70th birthday in July so my goal is to ride the crash ride starting at the same time I did in April (11:40PM) and pass the site at mile 33 then continue my BIRTHDAY RIDE of 2 times age + 1 for good measure.

Any fellow cyclists this ANAL RETENTIVE with a "need to complete syndrome?"

BTW, the pot handles all point in the same direction in kitchen cabinets. or maybe is more appropriate
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-26-20, 06:16 PM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
You a tough sonofagun. You get to point your pot handles anywhere you want them to be.

And yeah, I'd have to get back on that horse too.
Likes For SuperDave:
Old 05-26-20, 09:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've never had a crash that took me out or made my bike unrideable. I always thought that a little blood looked cool. Hope my luck holds. I don't ride at night. Not pigs here, but possums, raccoons, and deer are common road kills.
Old 05-27-20, 02:07 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yikes. Yeah, I'm another hard-headed get back on the horse what threw me kinda guy too. Gotta get past that superstitious ritual of conquering the obstacle.
Old 05-27-20, 04:52 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Some of you have read this more times than you'd like, so apologies in advance if it's old. On July 24, 2013 I crashed my bike and broke my neck. A long story but after 8 days in hospital and two 5 hr. operations, I came home on August 1st. I had C1 & C2 fused....chipped front teeth...stitches on upper and lower lips where the teeth went through...nose sutured and straightened...a couple other cervical fractures. In a neck brace of course. In the beginning of November I was back on the bike. My first ride was a spirited group rail-trail ride. I actually rode well. Been riding road (mostly) since. I will be 74 this June. I'd be doing just what you're doing and anyone who has seen my house, garage or workshop knows I am far from OCD. Rock on.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-27-20, 05:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
crash sites are important milestones. going back is probably a mental way to move on & as-if to conquer it. I’ll spare us my family & extended family examples of the same, not limited to cycling. here’s hoping your crashes are behind you with none on the horizon. how are those ribs & scapula feeling?
Old 05-27-20, 06:00 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
.............................. how are those ribs & scapula feeling?
Known injuries are healing and I'm doing well; HOWEVER, something is wrong with left shoulder joint so next Monday it's back to ortho for x-rays and diagnosis.

JUST got ER bill yesterday for my 2 hour visit = $74,188.38
Awaiting ambulance ride bill and Trauma Center bill.
Old 05-27-20, 06:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Known injuries are healing and I'm doing well; HOWEVER, something is wrong with left shoulder joint so next Monday it's back to ortho for x-rays and diagnosis.

yikes, good luck w everything!
Old 05-27-20, 07:13 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Shaking off the trauma of a crash and getting "back in (on) the saddle" has always been a priority of mine to the extent of completing the "CRASH RIDE" after healing. In April 2011 I had my first MAJOR CRASH at mile 72 of 100 resulting in wearing a neck collar (luckily not a HALO) for 16 weeks - 24/7 before being allowed any form of exercise other than walking. After regaining strength I made it a point to go for a 100 miler with an effort to pass the crash site at mile 72 and then complete the 100. MAYBE STUPID BUT GRATIFYING.

April 27 last month (4 weeks ago yesterday) I was again out for a 100 mile Midnight Madness ride. At mile 33 of the first segment I was hit by a wild pig and crashed. This time my ortho cleared me to ride as soon as I felt comfortable so I managed a short ride 8 days after cracking my left scapula, cracking rib 5 and 6 left side and puncturing my lung.

Completing a few more rides and building strength up I went out YESTERDAY riding the crash ride in reverse passing my ENCOUNTER SITE exactly at the distance it took me to ride home the morning of the crash. STUPID or OCD or whatever it was something I am simply wired to do. Not yet able to ride the 100 miles I had planned to ride last month I only rode enough to complete the total distance my crash ride was (37) plus the bit extra to the "turn around point"

Any fellow cyclists this ANAL RETENTIVE with a "need to complete syndrome?"

BTW, the pot handles all point in the same direction in kitchen cabinets. or maybe is more appropriate
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
crash sites are important milestones. going back is probably a mental way to move on & as-if to conquer it. I’ll spare us my family & extended family examples of the same, not limited to cycling.

here’s hoping your crashes are behind you with none on the horizon. how are those ribs & scapula feeling?
I had a somewhat converse experience on an organized ride touted as a Century (The Third Annual Fifty-Plus Forum Ride held with the OneHelluvaRide in Michigan in 2011), but when I reached the finish line, I had only about 90 miles:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…My worst miles are routinely 40 to 60, and the route became challenging after the 60 mile lunch stop. That was a festive gathering for all the routes, including a band with broad musical appeal. The latter half of the ride was on wider and busier roads, though acceptable, but there was little shade.

It was in the 90’s with incessant sun, the slight but noticeable head wind as described by Blazing Pedals, and hillier as described by Road Fan. Over the last 50 miles I applied sunscreen three times and got three hosings at the stops. I had a surprisingly good pace for a few miles at 75 miles, even pulling for an apparent roadie, but around mile 84, I had to sit in the shade and pour water over myself to cool. At the last rest stop I found I was 10 miles behind the scheduled century distance.

I arrived back at the start with 90 miles so I decided to complete the century. I went down a busy treeless road for a couple miles, but turned back and rode into Chelsea to take a picture of their landmark clocktower. Soon afterwards I had my crash at 94 miles.

I was immediately assisted by some bystanders who claimed I was KO’ed for a bit, and the ambulance and police soon arrived. The upshot was spending from about 4:00 to 8:30 PM in the Emergency Room, with abrasions on my arms, knees, and a couple ugly ones on my face; and a gash about 1 inch long requiring 18 stitches to close. But not to worry, I’m OK, though I haven’t checked out the bike.

Wha’ happened? I was riding about 5 mph on the main street, and on that road surface were these strips of tar, the policeman called “tar seams,” apparently a cheap fix for cracks. In the 90 degree heat they became soft and sticky and grabbed my tire, and since I was going slowly, one pulled me down. The officer said that they had also received complaints from motorcyclists about these tar seams.

I think my brand new eyeglasses made the gash. Ironically, since I had a corneal abrasion a few weeks ago I have been wearing goggles over my eyeglasses and I have to wonder if the goggles pushed the eyeglasses into my face. The frames were pretty damaged and unwearable though I had a spare pair in the car. Everybody was very nice and professional and I could take the episode in stride, but…

That night was a high school reunion from about 7:30 to 11:30 PM back in the Detroit area, about 60 miles away. The gracious police picked me up from the hospital, took me back to my car sitting forlornly in the lot by itself and then back to the police station to pick up my bike. So I left Chelsea at about 9:00 PM and hustled back to my mother’s house, in my smelly blood-stained cycling clothes.

At about 20 miles from home the empty gas tank light went on, assuring me of 70 miles to empty. I got to her house around 10:15, and cleaned up quickly. I always carry 3’ x 4’ band aids for abrasions, so I put it over the wounds (over my right forehead-temple-eyesocket-cheek area); think Phantom of the Opera.

I arrived at the reunion about 11:00 PM.

I didn’t take many photos, and none on the road, but here’s a sample; note the tar seams on the street in the picture of the clocktower:

This was not as serious as described by @OldTryGuy, but was one of my more serious crashes.

In 2012, I was hit from behind with six weeks in acute and rehab hospitals, three months off work, and five months off the bike,
Back in June 2012 I was hit from behind, and the driver turned himself in the next day.My beautiful Bridgestone RB-1 was totaled so my winter commuting was on my heavy mountain bike, until April when I bought a carbon fiber road bike.

I have posted, my main injury besides a few minor broken bones was a fractured sacrum. Weight bearing activities such as walking a distance and prolonged sitting are uncomfortable, but fortunately sitting on the bike seat is OK, even for a few hours. I also lost some gluteal muscle due to a soft tissue injury and had a draining wound that made me dependent on someone to change my dressing until October.

During that summer, I found writing to Bike Forums kept my spirits up.
During my hospitalization I was wistful as I took a few ambulance rides along my usual commuting route, during some of the nicest June riding days in memory.
"Do you really enjoy riding a bike?"

I describe my riding experience similarly, as a cycling lifestyle (of 40 years). Ionce listed as my credentials: a carbon fiber bike, year-round cycle-commuting, a cross-country tour, and a serious car-bike accident..
I’m also OCD in my professional writing and even in Bike Forum posting.
Indeed, I’m so persnickety and egocentric that I even edit posts from months to years old to satisfy my own aesthetic.
˅˅˅˅˅

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-27-20 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-27-20, 07:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
˄˄˄˄
I’m also OCD in my professional writing even in Bike Forum posting...
Speaking of OCD, a colleague of mine and I were discussing our mutual professional reports and he cited this adage, “Don’t let the Perfect be the Enemy of the Good.” I replied that the nuns in parochial school used to say, “Good, better, best; never let them rest; until your good is better, and your better best.”

He answered,”Well I’m Jewish, and never encountered nuns.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-27-20 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-27-20, 08:10 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I'm sure you have adequate medical insurance so I suspect you have coverage.

We rolled the dice on my wife who was 60 and we dropped traditional medical coverage. I just couldn't see paying $12,000 a year for 5 years and she had a good health history and track record. Of course she tripped and fell hiking breaking and dislocating her shoulder a couple months later!?!? I did learn that if you are self pay, medical groups will reduce your out of pocket expense by about 40-50%. Her hospital stay and multiple surgeries cost about he same as yours but our out of pocket expense was around 50% of the total. All you had to do was ask for the self pay cost.

I'm only OCD in certain areas!!
Old 05-27-20, 08:59 AM
OldTryGuy

Saddened reading about costs when little or no insurance is available to help with bills.

Originally Posted by jppe
I'm sure you have adequate medical insurance so I suspect you have coverage.............................
Thanks to my cancer I opted for the better Medicare Sup. so we have coverage.
Old 05-27-20, 09:53 AM
OldTryGuy

˄˄˄˄
Speaking of OCD, a colleague of mine and I were discussing our mutual professional reports and he cited this adage, “Don’t let the Perfect be the Enemy of the Good.” I replied that the nuns in parochial school used to say, “Good, better, best; never let them rest; until your good is better, and your better best.”

He answered,”Well I’m Jewish, and never encountered nuns.”
I ONLY had nuns in Kindergarten because parents sent sister and me to Public School. Turns out that in that First Grade I met a girl that I went all through school with to H.S. Graduation rarely talking to her but 4 years after graduation we met again and in 5 days it will be our 47th Anniversary.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-27-20, 10:32 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
I would recommend getting off and walking that stretch next time.
and remember when putting that little walmart ice chest on your head ~15% of moto head injuries are facial and brain bleeds are more common when you get older
? $75 K for what you had? I don't think you have gotten all the bills yet. Surprise billing is their new sport.
Old 05-28-20, 04:15 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Saddened reading about costs when little or no insurance is available to help with bills.

Thanks to my cancer I opted for the better Medicare Sup. so we have coverage.
The American for profit medical system and reluctance to go to Medicare for All is a disgrace. Glad you have Medicare.
Old 05-28-20, 05:25 AM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by bikebikebike
I would recommend getting off and walking that stretch next time.
and remember when putting that little walmart ice chest on your head ~15% of moto head injuries are facial and brain bleeds are more common when you get older
? $75 K for what you had? I don't think you have gotten all the bills yet. Surprise billing is their new sport.
Bill received was for the 2 hour visit at the ER and still waiting for the 55 mile ambulance ride to the Trauma Hospital AND the Trauma Hos. bill for my 2.5 day visit.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 05-28-20 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-31-20, 07:47 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Be prepared for more than one bill from the Trauma Hospital. Modern Medical Management loves to have each department bill you separately, so you get one bill from the Hospital, one from the Blood Test lab, one from the Radiation (x-ray, cat-scan, mri, etc.) lab, and one from any surgical procedure performed. And these bills will dribble into your mailbox over a period of months. And some of them should come complete with a voice recording of Gomer Pyle saying "Surprise, surprise, SURPRISE!!!" I've also discovered that talking to the staff on-site about this is less than useless, since it seems that the medical and financial arms are totally divorced from each other, and you only know what the real damage is when the bill arrives in the mail. You can probably tell that I'm a bit weary of dealing with the Medical Establishment at the moment.

Some hospitals (or rather medical groups who control various hospitals and medical services under one umbrella group) are better about billing than others, so here's hoping you were with one of the good ones.
Old 06-01-20, 03:57 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
OTG, I can't imagine what your pain threshold is. I trust you're enjoying yourself - that makes it worthwhile, eh?

All you had to do was ask for the self pay cost.
Next time, ask for the price that the big insurers pay.

I think comparing the impact of C-19 on the finances of medical providers and consumers in the US to those in Europe would be instructive to all but the most ideological of us. I'll be especially interested in data on bankruptcies.That's economics and finance, not politics, BTW.
Old 06-02-20, 02:24 PM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Wow. Glad you're on the mend. Those were a couple of tough ones! My recent example was nowhere near your experiences, but I had to ride a short 3 miles home after a crash on Saturday. Luckily, no head strike, and I hit the ground in the grass and weeds along a greenbelt. I had to pick some goat-head thorns out of my shoulder and hip, but it could have been much worse. I was glad I started riding home soon after before the soreness kicked in. I was able to ride the next day, and it took about 10 miles before I started feeling decent.

Be safe everyone!
Old 06-02-20, 02:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
No. I do not need to complete. But after my biggie; the fork breaking when I landed a bunny hop over a construction ditch with poor pavement, I bunny hopped that same place all the next season. (It was my regular training route.) No memories at all. (Comas have their advantages.)

Bern
Old 06-02-20, 02:45 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,190 Posts
I don't go back to pursue the ride, but I don't.avoid where I had the accident either. I do adjust my riding to avoid the crash situation. I'm not sure what you could do about wild pigs...eat more pork?
Old 06-09-20, 09:19 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I was in a hit-and-run a couple of months ago. I got a nasty abrasion plus a couple extra cuts on one leg and the heel of one palm was very sore. The bike was rideable. After giving the report to the police I rode home figuring it wasn't as bad as half the crashes I've seen in the Tour de France. I've ridden every day since and went out a week after the crash to finish the ride I was on.

Now the one time I haven't gone back to finish a 2-wheeled ride was when I crashed out of the 2006 Baja 1000 and broke some ribs. I'd have to go over 2000 miles from Minneapolis just to get to where it happened!
Old 06-09-20, 09:44 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I like to get a 100km ride in within the first few days of every month. Two years ago, I wiped out in a patch of wet silt around the 30km mark. Finished the ride, complete with shredded arm warmer. This past Friday, I did a decent recreation of 2018 and wiped out on water-soaked crack patch (what I call tar snakes) about 3 miles from home. Finished that ride. Took Saturday off, have ridden the past three days in a row, including a trip to the LBS to replace the helmet that now had two crashes under its belt. The hip is worse today than when it happened. I don't recommend.
Old 06-09-20, 10:07 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I broke my neck on a fast twisty descent last October, just about a mile from my house. I was cleared to ride in early February. I knew I'd get back there eventually, but I've not been a hurry. Just two days ago I climbed up that butte for the first time, turned around, and rode down. Past the guardrail that ripped my leg open, past the place where I climbed back up from the ravine, past the place where I met my wife afterward for a trip to the hospital.

It was fine.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-11-20, 06:20 PM
OldTryGuy

Got back on the Giant today for the first time since my Miss Piggy crash. While I really enjoy the Roubaix the Giant reminds me of the drive in my 1968 GT350 Shelby. Got 101 miles in today and that would not have happened on the Roubaix.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.