Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike shopping advice for short female

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-30-20, 03:16 PM
RoniSue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could I get some help figuring out what bike options are out there for my needs, and how to find them? My online searches have me frustrated and confused because I don't speak "bike language"--they've have changed so much since I last owned a 10-speed, 20 years ago. I'm a 50+ female, 5 feet tall, with short legs. I want a bike for casual city and park rides on mostly-paved paths, both flat and with medium/low inclines. I need one that:
1) fits my height/leg length;
2) has at least a few gears;
3) has at AT LEAST ONE EASILY-REMOVABLE WHEEL, so I can haul and store it inside my tiny Fiat 500 hatchback on weekend trips. This has been the hardest feature to search for. I was hoping to find something more "commuter" or "hybrid" than "mountain bike", but I can't find the removable wheel spec on any bikes for short women, unless I go "mountain". Is mountain my only option? Using the term "quick release" in my searches hasn't been very helpful.

-- If I see some commuter/hybrid bikes that fit my legs and have some gears, how can I tell if one/both wheels are easy to remove? Many times, the specs don't mention that feature. Is that because ALL bikes have this now? Or, are there terms I should look for other than "quick release"?

-- Should I just buy a bike that fits my legs and has a few gears, then plan to have the wheel-type changed? If yes, what spec terms should I look for to make sure it's possible to have it changed to quick-release? Any spec terms I stay away from? (I would be paying someone else to change this for me).

I will truly appreciate any constructive shopping recommendations, search-term tips, or "reality checks", so I can stop looking in circles. Thank you!
Old 05-30-20, 03:23 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
fwiw - Wifey is 5 feet even & likes her 15” Trek Stagger

EDIT: you sound like a candidate for a folding bike. some gave small wheels & frames & some are full size folding frames w/ full size wheels

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-30-20 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-30-20, 03:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Surly Long Haul Trucker. My ex is your height. She rides the smallest size they make. Quick release wheels. 30 speeds, with low gears meant for touring with full loads.
Old 05-30-20, 03:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Most bikes above Walmart spec will have quick release wheels. Disc brake bikes have a different mechanism known as thru axle, also easily removable.
Old 05-30-20, 03:34 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Basically all new bicycles have quick release front wheels. If you see a lever on one side of the hub that is the quick release.
Old 05-30-20, 03:39 PM
RoniSue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you! Can she easily remove a wheel or two on her bike?
I'll look at folding options. I haven't tried that, yet.
Old 05-30-20, 03:50 PM
RoniSue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation! It looks like the center bar is high for a short-legged person, but I'll keep this one in mind and see if I can find one local to try in person.
Old 05-30-20, 03:52 PM
RoniSue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, thru axle. This is the kind of info I don't know, and am desperate for.
Old 05-30-20, 04:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Yes. Tough bike, too. Top tube slopes a bit for greater clearance. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-30-20 at 05:07 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-30-20, 04:58 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Here are your variables for ease of front wheel removal -

Are the brakes cantilever/v-brake or disk brakes?

Is the axle a thru-axle or a quick release?

Go to a bike shop. Have them show you examples of each, and how to remove and put the front wheel back on. Then try it yourself. You'll probably find that a disk brake combined with a thru-axle is a bit more difficult to install, but it's not hard. A quick release with cantilever/v-brakes is super easy to install.

Also, if you end up getting a bike with hydraulic disk brakes, be sure you know how to put the block between the brake pads when transporting your bike in that tiny Fiat. You don't want to accidentally press a hydraulic brake when the wheel isn't installed.
Old 05-30-20, 05:03 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
For the back of a Fiat 500, folder as already suggested, is certainly the way to go. You could spend $300 to thousands depending on what your needs are. Name brands such as Tern, Dahon and Brompton are worthy contenders. For more inexpensive, have a look at Citizen or Origami folders. Both owners of these companies post in the folder forum.

Good luck with your search. If asking for further advice kindly post the approximate amount you want or think you want to spend it helps other forum members formulate their responses.
Old 05-30-20, 05:08 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by RoniSue
Could I get some help figuring out what bike options are out there for my needs, and how to find them? My online searches have me frustrated and confused because I don't speak "bike language"--they've have changed so much since I last owned a 10-speed, 20 years ago. I'm a 50+ female, 5 feet tall, with short legs. I want a bike for casual city and park rides on mostly-paved paths, both flat and with medium/low inclines. I need one that:
1) fits my height/leg length;
2) has at least a few gears;
3) has at AT LEAST ONE EASILY-REMOVABLE WHEEL, so I can haul and store it inside my tiny Fiat 500 hatchback on weekend trips. This has been the hardest feature to search for. I was hoping to find something more "commuter" or "hybrid" than "mountain bike", but I can't find the removable wheel spec on any bikes for short women, unless I go "mountain". Is mountain my only option? Using the term "quick release" in my searches hasn't been very helpful.

-- If I see some commuter/hybrid bikes that fit my legs and have some gears, how can I tell if one/both wheels are easy to remove? Many times, the specs don't mention that feature. Is that because ALL bikes have this now? Or, are there terms I should look for other than "quick release"?

-- Should I just buy a bike that fits my legs and has a few gears, then plan to have the wheel-type changed? If yes, what spec terms should I look for to make sure it's possible to have it changed to quick-release? Any spec terms I stay away from? (I would be paying someone else to change this for me).

I will truly appreciate any constructive shopping recommendations, search-term tips, or "reality checks", so I can stop looking in circles. Thank you!
Nothing wrong with mountain bikes. I'm 5'4", Pretty Purple Princess Penelope is an 18". Look for a 15" or 17" '90s steel mountain bike; Trek Singletracks are popular. My whole build cost upwards of $700, including short cranks I haven't put on yet, and she's a much better bike than I could buy new for the price. Particularly note the short stem and swept bars.

Great Ghu, it's NDS! Horror!
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-30-20, 05:19 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RoniSue
Thank you! Can she easily remove a wheel or two on her bike?
I'll look at folding options. I haven't tried that, yet.
The front wheel can easily be removed. Doubt you want to mess with the rear tire since there's a chain and other components involved.

My wife is your height. We've talked about getting her into biking since I'm constantly on my bike all the time. She is a casual rider around the neighborhood nothing pricey or fancy.
Old 05-30-20, 05:31 PM
oldlady62

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Yesterday, I ran across the Fuji bikes page. They have quite the selection of women's bikes. Maybe browse those. I'm a bit bias, though. I have had my Fuji for 42 years. They seem to fit all your requirements, and come at several price points and woman friendly sizes. They all have quick release.

https://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/pavement/womens

My preference would be the Absolute.

https://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/...ns/absolute-st

Last edited by oldlady62; 05-30-20 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-30-20, 06:37 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I'm 5'1" with short legs as well and when it comes to off the shelf bikes for our size the best choice is 24"wheeled juvenile bikes.

See these, https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...ears--24-inch- I ride an ARX-24 myself although the Escape JR 24 looks like it would be right for you.
Old 05-30-20, 07:24 PM
RoniSue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, she's inspiring!